• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

places to order jerk chicken?

redeyes

TRIBE Member
(in dr. nick rivera's voice) HI EVERYBODY!!!

my family is having there annual Christmas party and i was asked to grab about 30 pieces of jerk chicken. does anybody know where I can place such a large order. preferably close to Bathurst and Eglinton area.

peace

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

aether

TRIBE Member
Bathurst and Eglinton?

Go for Albert's Real Jamaican. It's on St.Claire just west of bathurst. They've got the best Jerk chicken I've had. It's not that hot/spicey, but damned is it ever delicious. Seriously.. I've had cravings since I moved out of the area.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
I think I'm the only one who doesn't like the food there. Jerk chicken is too dry, the roti uses too much meat and nothing is spicy enough.
Hm.

There's a great place in Kensington called Chick N Shack, I believe. It's on Augusta, just south of College. HUGE portions and good pieces. But they jerk the chicken after it's cooked. Which I have a problem with.

Still the best place: Yonge and Bloor beside Biryani house in that lunch alleyway.. I cannot big that place up enough. And SPICY. Thank god.

d.code

TRIBE Member
BEST place for Jerk Chicken in Toronto is easily that place and Queen and Bathurst! I think its called Alberts?

OXTAIL is WAY better than jerk chicken anyways.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by d.code
BEST place for Jerk Chicken in Toronto is easily that place and Queen and Bathurst! I think its called Alberts?

NAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASTY.
It's sooooooo gross. Well, the roti is. So are the rice and beans. Ugh.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Chubbs
Crackhead.

Alberts is killer.
I've only had the one on St. Clair twice. And it was disgusting. I could make better chicken roti (and I do) than the one I had there. The chicken was all stringy and the curry was bland. The hot sauce was watery and not spicy at all. I had the jerk too and it was alright. Dry and bland.

Then after work, instead of Ali Babas, I went and got Albert's on Queen and it was so nasty. The coleslaw was disgusting, the chicken was burnt and dry, and the rice was old crusty rice with a couple of beans. No sauce, no flavour. I vowed never to eat there considering it gave me just a bit of a stomach ache.

I'm a jaded Island Foods guy though so that might explain it. Curry chicken roti with a little eggplant added is wicked.

Any of the roti places in Scarlem kick ass. There are a few good ones in Mississauga too. Great roti at the corner of Parliament and Gerrard next to the black hairdressing place and the abortion clinic. It's a hole in the wall owned by a husband and wife who never smile but if you're a frequent customer, they treat you right. Many lunch hours spent smoking on their stoop and chatting with the lady. She's pretty scary but not that scary at all so be warned. Even the fish is alright there. They make it spicy too, something other places are afraid to do if you're not of the culture.

I've never been to the Real Jerk. I'd like to check it out for sure.

And I agree, oxtail is good.

squirrely

TRIBE Member
totally not even really all that on topic but OMG kori's roti shop in oakville kicks ASSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

yum.
yum.
YUMMMMM.

miss it....:(

lucky1

TRIBE Member
Mofo, I wasn't a huge fan of alberts rice either. But now I ask for gravy (whatever sauce you like) on the rice and they put a scoop of suace and it's so good.

BTW does anyone like irish moss?

Littlest Hobo

TRIBE Member
I agree with Sunny. Albert's on St. Clair is hugely overrated. The food is pretty crappy for the price, the service slow and surly. Walk west for 5 minutes and hit up that churrasqueira on the south side.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

SpaceBabe

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by d.code

Oxtail baby

Love that shit!

Now craving jerk meat!

wah.. But yah.. I don't like it when the meat is dry. I like it tender.. almost falling off the bone when you touch it.

mmmm HUNGRY

MoFo

TRIBE Member
I just had the BEST jerk chicken ever.

Mitchie's Eatery on St. Clair, east of Old Weston Road. I am DYING of spiciness right now. And the portions are HUGE.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

Rice and beans with steamed veggies. Lots of hot sauce.

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
The Wing Machine on Eglinton West usually makes damn good Jerk Chicken wings. Not bad for a chain :D

And the Albert's on Queen is better than the St. Clair one for sure.

Damn, now I want some Roti.

pr0nstar

SJN

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by MoFo
Still the best place: Yonge and Bloor beside Biryani house in that lunch alleyway.. I cannot big that place up enough. And SPICY. Thank god.
I love this place as well....more than Alberts.....

(as a side note, Biryani House kicks ass too)

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Did you eat there before they changed chefs? When it was still a hole in the wall?
I LOVED getting takeout and sittin' in the hot sun with my chicken vindaloo. It was soooooooooooo good. But they REALLY cut corners. The lettuce is iceberg now with a couple of carrot shavings. The chicken curry is gross. And the veggies are bland.