• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Pixar's MONSTERS UNIVERSITY

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
the reviews are pretty good, but nobody seems to think that this is on par with the best pixar flicks, like WALL-E, UP, TOY STORY 1, 2 and 3, THE INCREDIBLES, FINDING NEMO or MONSTERS INC.

is pixar just a regular movie studio now?

BRAVE was a bit of a let down and CARS 2 was offensively bad.

ah well. i will try to see this and maybe WORLD WAR Z this weekend.

djfear

TRIBE Member
I'll give it a whirl since I love Pixar, but I agree with your sentiment about them, before they had a 1:1 ratio of 9/10 or higher for hits, but since Cars 2 it's been more mediocre.

silver1

TRIBE Member
Will be seeing it this weekend with the kids.

From the extended trailer I saw it looks essentially to be "Revenge of the Nerds", Pixar style.

Here's hoping it's good.

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
we dug this movie, thanks in large part to lowered expectations.

this is probably the best animated movie in the last couple of years. it is not a masterpiece on the same level as WALL-E, THE INCREDIBLES, UP, FINDING NEMO, RATATOUILLE, the TOY STORY movies or the original MONSTERS INC., but perhaps that is forgivable.

it is better than BRAVE, CARS and CARS 2 and probably better than A BUG'S LIFE.

there are some cliched themes in the movie, but the characters are great and the story is told well. there are lots of laugh out loud and very touching moments.

silver1

TRIBE Member
I agree with your review will. While not ranking up there with the very top Pixar outings, a solid effort and enjoyable film.

I think you got it right in your first post. "Is Pixar just a regular movie Studio now?"

I think the answer is yes. Still capable of putting out exceptional work (like MU proves) but basically they're throwing out a movie a year with hit and miss quality.

But thankfully, other studios have stepped up and gotten better to put out great quality stuff. Over the last few years we've gotten really good animated films such as "How to Train Your Dragon", "Despicable Me", "Puss in Boots" (which was leagues better than the main 'Drek' franchise), and "Wreck it Ralph". All movies that IMO have been better than the last couple of Pixar films.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Hi i'm God

TRIBE Member
cliched beyond belief, story predictable and done to death ('cept the monsters angle)

On the other hand I laughed my ass off the whole time. Great movie.

silver1

TRIBE Member
cliched beyond belief, story predictable and done to death ('cept the monsters angle)

On the other hand I laughed my ass off the whole time. Great movie.
As I said after I saw the trailer, "It's Revenge of the Nerds, Monster's Inc. Style".