1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Pioneer DJM 2000

Discussion in 'Electronic Music Producers Forum' started by Wiseman, Mar 10, 2010.

1. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

The art of DJing is now in the digital age, and the next generation of DJ mixers needs to keep pace with the CDJ revolution. Our DJM-2000 truly does that.

The brand new DJM-2000 is our most powerful performance mixer and is the perfect match for the new industry-standard CDJ-2000 digital decks.

[​IMG]

The DJM-2000: the ultimate club mixer

With an innovative touch screen and arsenal of remixing FX, the DJM-2000 forms the ultimate club mixer. No less than six individual effects processors lay the foundation for hundreds of music manipulation combinations, so a DJ can always create their own unique sound.

The new DJM-2000 takes advanced features – thought only possible in software – and reinvents them in the physical world. Its intuitive layout will feel natural to existing Pioneer DJM users allowing creativity to flow whilst keeping its technical complexity under the skin.

Watch the 360 degree video

Renowned DJs assisted in development

The top of the range new mixer has been developed with the help of a number of international DJs. James Zabiela, Roger Sanchez, Eddie Halliwell, Tom Middleton, the Swedish House Mafia, Paul Woolford, John ‘00’ Fleming and Radio 1’s hard dance darling Kutski have all tested out the DJM-2000 at various stages of development – giving it the ultimate stamp of approval.
    The DJM-2000 mixer, in conjunction with the CDJ-2000, offers a new performance orientated platform for the increasingly futuristic artform as the next ten years unfold.

[​IMG]

DJM-2000: A mixer that excels with its functionality

Taking the best DNA from our other top end mixers and with other major enhancements, the DJM-2000 represents a new approach to mixing never seen before. It has effectively built in the technology of the EFX-1000, removing the need for an external effects unit along with touch screen technology from the SVM-1000.
    The DJM-2000 is the world’s most complete and creative DJ mixer. It’s the essential mixer to get the most from the new CDJ-2000, and offers amazing new creative possibilities.
    Come together with ProDJ Link

The ProDJ Link function makes it easy to switch over from one DJ to the next. By connecting up to 4 CDJ-2000s / CDJ-900s via LAN cable into the mixer and two laptops running rekordbox via USB In, the DJs can share music libraries across all decks.

The DJM-2000 also excels with its functionality. While inheriting the basic layout of their club standard DJM series, we have come up with a larger interface positioned perfectly in the middle of the mixer. The very first 5.8” large LCD multi-touch panel allows the DJ to use touch panel effects whilst checking them visually. It also comes with beat effect and INST FX functions, which means the DJ can alter the sound spontaneously without having to connect to multiple devices – allowing for a more flexible and unique performance.

[​IMG]

The DJM-2000: A new reliable platform for creative DJ mixing at the highest level

Simplified connectivity

Another highlight of the INST effects is that they are available individually on each of the four channels. They offer more accurate control of filters, and the Hi Mid and Low EQ on each channel can be switched to make them Isolators – giving the DJ more choice.
    The CDJ-2000 and CDJ-900’s HID control of DJ software allows virtual decks to be manipulated without time-code vinyl, and now the DJM-2000 further simplifies connectivity directly to your Mac or PC by having a soundcard built in.
    Just as clubs and professional DJs are upgrading to CDJ-2000s, the new DJM-2000 completes the setup, offering a new reliable platform for creative DJ mixing at the highest level.

LINK

2. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

Interesting.

Not so sure about a touchscreen on a mixer though. Seems like an accident waiting to happen.

3. oeretS

oeretS TRIBE Member

man, DJing has becoming a goddamn robot lightshow

that stuff looks like fun though

4. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

Some interesting things:

5. WestsideWax

WestsideWax TRIBE Promoter

Aside from nightclubs, how many people have $7K - $8K to blow on this unit and a pair of CDJ-2000s?

[old fart voice]I remember when two turntables and a microphone would only set you back a grand![/old fart voice]

6. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

It's Pioneer so the ridiculous overpricing goes without saying.

That being said this thing is pretty much perfect. But I highly doubt it will become a standard installation mixer. It does combine quite a few products into one though: 4 Channel DJ Mixer/8 in/8 out Audio Interface/Midi Controller/Effects unit/Sampler.

Also the extra things you can do with the CDJ2000s make those units more attractive. Love the idea of hooking up 2 laptops with rekordbox and you can use tracks off both libraries.

7. veteze

veteze TRIBE Promoter

fuck me.

the build quality looks to have gone down a notch. too much plastic.

the cdj 2000s compared to the 1000s are definitely down a notch as far as strudiness goes.

that being said, i'll probably have to buy this. any word on msrp?

8. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

I think it was 1,999 in Pounds. Can't remember where I read that though.

I'd really like to play around with those 2000s of yours for a bit. Have you had the out anywhere to play? If so any comments from DJs?

9. veteze

veteze TRIBE Promoter

only a few people have played on them. i like em. the convenience factor alone. and the fact that people can show up with a USB stick or an SD card and play directly off of those.

10. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

I've read that without the preanalyzing using rekordbox it will only show the waveform once the track has been played through in its entirety. Is that true? I would have thought that it would analyze it once it is loaded like any DVS does.

11. veteze

veteze TRIBE Promoter

only with MP3 files. wav files and CD audio files show the waveform right away.

it takes forever for it to analyze if it hasn't gone through rekord box. it won't read ahead. it shows the waveform as it plays through. but it does save the analysis file to the SD/USB once it's done it one time. you actually have to play the track for it to even start analyzing. it's pretty lame.

the CDJ1000 takes forever to show the waveform for an mp3 file too, and it won't save the waveform for next time. But I'd say the 1000 shows the waveform faster. like, it actually reads ahead. But the waveform on the 1000 is pretty useless compared to the 2000. I didn't think the new waveform was high resolution enough but it totally is.

12. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

Wow. Another reason why the software should be free. I haven't found a cracked version either yet.

13. veteze

veteze TRIBE Promoter

i can give you a key. pm me.

14. AshG

AshG Member

not even remotely interested in this mixer.

its interesting... if this is the road djing is going down, then the more complex mixers become, the more features they have and yet the more inaccessible they become in the process.
    i wonder how much time i would need to understand everything this thing can do in the first place - never mind actually become proficient at using these things - despite the almost certain sensible ergonomics typical of pioneer.
    add to that, that that learning would almost certainly be taking place during an actual gig(thanks to the price tag, home use would likely never occur), and i just can't see this mixer being at all useful. certainly not in its intended form anyway.

15. solacevip

solacevip TRIBE Promoter

It's impressive.

Reminds me of the A&H 4D with the width.

I agree with Mikeryan with all the plastic.

I wonder how it SOUNDS......the DJM800 was definitely a step up from the previous mixers in terms of sound. Does this blow it out the water?

Junglists are losing their mind about this. Bo Selecta Bo!@!#!

16. preacherman

preacherman TRIBE Member

it's a conspiracy - this is clearly a producers/DJ friendly mixer the middle looks just like the EFX-1000 - agree with you Mike that this has no practical home use; but for the next generation of kidz that can text 1000 characters a minute and play Call of Duty 4 while jerking off this will certainly fit into that bell curve:D

17. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

I have little to no interest in the touchscreen portion of this mixer. What I like is the integration of the soundcard and connection to the CDJ2000/900s and the ability to use 2 laptops at the same time. That is what will be great for the club DJ booth.

Pioneer is smart though. Even though there is a lot going on here most of it is taken from products they already have on the market so the learning curve is not as stepp if you are already familiar with pioneer functionality. The middle effects section has a lot of the same buttons as the EFX 1000. Actually if you look at it, the only new unfamiliar thing is the touchscreen area which honestly will probably barely be used. 7 band eq mixing? whatever.

Other than that though everything is familiar. It's the ability to attach multiple laptops and have the tracks shareable across 4 CDJs with the channel assignments already worked out which makes this an extremely useful beast. Although the ports being on the back of the mixer is not the greatest. I guess a club could have ethernet cords already plugged in though so no big deal.

18. Spinsah

Spinsah TRIBE Member

That is cool. Ethernet/LAN hookup for the laptops instead of USB? Hmmm.

19. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

not as easy to yank out an Ethernet cable. And if it's a Gigabit connection it is way faster than USB. Plus you can use a hub and I would think no drivers to install. Seems like a pretty smart way to go IMO.

20. veteze

veteze TRIBE Promoter

The CDJ2000s are "linked" together via lan connectors so that you can read everything off of one USB/SD or even the disc in the player. you can hook two together directly or hook four together using a hub. this looks like they added the hub right into the mixer. and i guess you'll be able to hook laptops to the "link" connection to and read your music right off of a single laptop. this is probably also how the mixer tells the players whether the channel is in the mix or not.

21. preacherman

preacherman TRIBE Member

22. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

The 'bomb' usb key is hilarious. Unfortunately someone high of their gourd would notice it in the booth and freak out causing a bomb scare.

23. Spinsah

Spinsah TRIBE Member

It seems silly to be using a laptop just as a music library when they offer so much more interms of computing/visualization. Why squint (or pay for) the displays when there's so much screen real estate potentially being wasted?

This entire rig suggests to me that Pioneer and the dj sect they cater to is evolving djing with scared baby steps. And really, why are we still wasting our time beat matching? All this expensive gear is still just remediated analog solutions integrating digital and it just seems absurd at this point.

I can increasingly understand and appreciate why someone like Hawtin has moved to Traktor (with another laptop running ableton for fx) instead of wasting time with this half-way business.

24. Spinsah

Spinsah TRIBE Member

This image sums up my thoughts:

[​IMG]

25. AshG

AshG Member

well there's something to be said for the simplicity of just beatmatching and mixing for the fun of it. things are far simpler and shit rarely goes wrong doing things that way, and i can't count the number of great mixes i've heard doing just this very thing. from that point of view, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

but i also tend to agree. it all seems like such a try-hard way of going about something that should probably be rethought altogether. i mean, i think you gotta pick one way or the other - bare bones, mixer and records or cds, or go all out and get some next level stuff going on.