• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Pinball

skin deep

TRIBE Member
TWD finally hit my local pinball bar a few weeks ago and it's fucking awesome.

Right up there with Metallica, which was my previous favourite game and AC/DC, another close favourite. All of them designed/coded by the John Borg and Lyman Sheats Jr. team (they also did TRON, which I didn't get to play so much). I've always liked the way their boards are set up and the rulesets are usually pretty interesting. The ruleset on TWD is great so far, I'm sure any updates will improve it.

Nevertheless, even though it's only a few weeks deep and doesn't count for so much, I did manage to get my first ever grand champ at the pinball bar, which made me unequivocally happy for a brief moment. While it's certain to get erased soon as I'm not nearly of the same calibre as many of the regulars, at least for now, it's momentarily there to represent my Saturday afternoon post-Interstellar, post-brunch glory.

I fucking love pinball.

Blysspluss

TRIBE Member
Pinball...bar?

I'm horrible at pinball but I do enjoy it. This seems like an amazeballs concept. S'toon has some machines at sports on tap...but that's not really anywhere near the downtown(so a pain to get to).

Instead of pinball in bars, there are VLTs...everywhere. Kind of disgusting, really.

skin deep

TRIBE Member
Pinball...bar?

I'm horrible at pinball but I do enjoy it. This seems like an amazeballs concept. S'toon has some machines at sports on tap...but that's not really anywhere near the downtown(so a pain to get to).

Instead of pinball in bars, there are VLTs...everywhere. Kind of disgusting, really.
Ok, maybe not a pinball bar, but a bar with pinball in it, there's currently 3 machines there, TWD, Demolition Man and Dirty Harry. Call it the pinball bar as it's always the place to first get the newest machine.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

skin deep

TRIBE Member
Ever been to a Pachinko bar?
Never, haven't even seen a machine unfortunately.

Funnily enough, the other night at the pinball bar, a girl who seemed too young to have ever seen a pinball machine in her life put some money in to play a game. She started 'pressing' the plunger as if it were a button. I told her that you have to pull the thing in order to launch the ball. After she finally set the ball off, instead of pressing the flipper buttons she shook the entire machine in order to try and manipulate the ball, it was absolutely hilarious, like it was a giant shakeable pachinko machine. She lost a lot of money...

Aaron Bradley

TRIBE Promoter
Never, haven't even seen a machine unfortunately.
I had a couple when I was younger. Dad and uncle used to go to China to bring shit back. I loved having it, and it was a hit when I was younger.

There are a couple of pinball games that I loved, but I can't remember the names. The pinball games had a feature that when you got the ball in 1 of 3 spots, you got to play with 3 balls simultaneously. That was a very addictive game for me!

SmoothOperator

TRIBE Member
I found myself at Playdium a couple weeks ago (first time in at least a decade) and put a hurtin on their pinball machines. They have the latest and greatest there still. Too bad it's in Mississauga.

On a side note though, the California Sandwiches in Little Italy always has a couple machines in there.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

SmoothOperator

TRIBE Member
All this talk got me craving pinball today so I went to California Sandwiches. They currently have "The Walking Dead", and the latest "Star Trek" tables. Damn things took a lot of my money.

If you're ever craving a quick fix, I find Pinball Arcade to be pretty good. It's useless on a phone, but on a tablet it's a lot of fun.

newstyle666

TRIBE Member
I had a couple when I was younger. Dad and uncle used to go to China to bring shit back. I loved having it, and it was a hit when I was younger.

There are a couple of pinball games that I loved, but I can't remember the names. The pinball games had a feature that when you got the ball in 1 of 3 spots, you got to play with 3 balls simultaneously. That was a very addictive game for me!
I think you must mean your uncle went to Japan?

Pachinko is a Japanese past time. Concept, design, manufacturing and the 19,000 or so parlours within the country. At one point you could find a dozen or so parlours in Taiwan, but they have since been shut down by the government. Nevertheless the machines found in Taiwan were Japanese imports and not even language adjusted.

I enjoy the game and hope one day it hits the shores of Canada, but given the "games of chance" rule set by Ontario's gambling legislation, it would be nearly impossible to regulate and/or legalize the units in the province. The odds are not fixed but based on an expected winning chance per 100 balls. Although the chance of winning (fever mode) is technically fixed by a random sequence of numbers internally, the number of balls to enter each middle pocket for a chance to win can largely be influenced by the pin orientation -- which is easily manipulated by the parlour.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

skin deep

TRIBE Member
Ugh, 116 million on TWD yesterday. Top score is up to 141 million, but at least I'm safer on the board for a bit.