• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Pimp Your Ride: The officious car thread for gear heads

the_fornicator

TRIBE Member
First thing's first: Changing the front + rear diff, t-case, and transmission fluid on the thing.

Next: Replacing rear-wiper (broken) and taking the thing into a shop tonight to get the seat bolstered fixed. The thing doesn't have running boards so the previous owner just slid out of the thing which causes havoc to the seats.

Next week: Remove front-windshield and take a wire wheel to the edge at the top of the windshield line. I see some surface rust starting to form from unattended rock chips so I want to see how bad the rust is. Thankfully, unlike the second gen, rust is not an issue on this vehicle other than that one spot. Might have to cut some shit out and get a friend to weld new bits in. That will be fun because there's a sunroof.

the_fornicator

TRIBE Member
What should have been a 1.5 hour job for me turned into like a 5 hour job lol

Replaced the front + rear diff fluid as well as transfer case fluid. At first, I raised the rear by the diff and tried to slowly lower it on 6 ton jack stands. As I was lowering it, I noticed two legs on one of the jackstands start to lift off the ground. I readjusted things 3-4 times before I said fuck it.

I wanted all four corners off the ground so I could grease the drive shaft zerks by rotating the shafts. I can't do it with the wheels on the ground since it would not give me enough clearance to get the grease gun underneath, etc., etc. If the wheels were on the ground, I'd have to shit the car back and forth in neutral, etc. etc. Big PITA.

Eventually, I just used ramps to gain access to the front and rear, one end at a time, so that I could dump and fill all the fluid. The brilliant dealership gave me the wrong gaskets too.

How is this even possible?

Maybe I was supposed to jack the front up first and then rear? I was using wheel chocks and everything. I wasn't about to risk getting crushed to save $500 lol next week -transmission fluid. That will be fun as I have to pull the pan off to reach the filter. In order to do that, I have to remove a bit of the exhaust but the bolts are probably rusted to shit.

Oh, the biggest hurdle was figuring out how to get the bloody skid plate off haha easy, right? NO! I had the rear raised up at the time so I couldn't fit my entire body under the front to see everything - I guess there are 4 recessed bolts that can't be seen if you don't know what to look for. Plus, there are TWO skid plates. That took me forever to figure out as it chewed up 45 mins.

Last edited:

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
You can't fit under the truck without lifting it? For greasing my driveshaft I just put it in neutral and turn the driveshaft by hand. the truck moves less than a foot with one rotation of the driveshaft. Be sure to check the grade on your garage floor before you go with that approach.

the_fornicator

TRIBE Member
Wait. Wuuuuuuuut. If you turn the driveshaft by hand while the car is in neutral and all wheels are on the ground, that's enough to move the car front and back a bit to gain access to the zerks? No way. I thought you'd have to crawl out from under the thing, shimmy the vehicle a bit, chock the wheels, pop underneath to check, and repeat that process until you have access to the zerk. If this works, I'm mailing you beer lol

My garage is pretty level so the runner won't roll around in neutral without chocks -chocks are nice because, in this case, they may save you from losing a finger or something.

Ah, to clarify, I can't fit under the runner while I'm on a crawler. I haven't tried just crawling underneath sans crawler. I'll clean my garage floor out before I try that. Maybe this weekend. Thanks for the tip! Yay, I get to remove my skid plate again haha before I re-installed, I used copper anti-seize. My mama didn't raise no foo.

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
I do it no problem on mine. Maybe I'm just super strong but I think it's more likely something to do with mechanical advantage :p

I don't have a creeper anymore so I just slide under. time to get dirty! I used to have a creeper until one of the kids was messing with it and left it part way under the car. I gave them an important safety lesson about doing things like that and playing around the car. Then I put it in gear and drove over it, inadvertently proving my point.

I antiseize everything! I've freed up way too many rusty bolts for this lifetime!

Fillmore

TRIBE Member
4 Runner guys....

A Professor at the office is looking to get rid of his 4 runner.

Details: Asking $500 OBO

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5
Manual shift
380,000kms
Good engine
Good clutch
good water pump

Needs:
Exhaust
body work

the_fornicator

TRIBE Member
After my last project, I won't touch anything that needs significant body work anymore lol

I'd rather try to rebuild a transmission blindfolded than do bodywork again.

$500 is a nice price though especially if you need spare parts. I_brad might as he has a third gen. I mean, the tires and rims alone are a few hundred. Windows, seats, etc.

Vise

TRIBE Member
Watkins Glen track day this Monday/Tuesday, should be fun! :D

On a related note a friend is hosting a track day at the Mosport DDT (small track) on June 29th and there is still room, if you're interested shoot me a PM.

the_fornicator

TRIBE Member
How much are track days out there?

I'm on the board of executives for the Edmonton Motorcycle Roadracing Association and there's only one road course in Alberta currently. Someone in the club did a track-rental cost-comparison to other tracks in North America (Laguna Seca, Miller in Utah, Button Willow, COTA, etc).

I can't exactly say my personal opinion on the track in case someone finds this post on google, but I guess our local track comes up in the top 5 most expensive tracks in North America.

If you've ever been to our track and compare the facilities to its contenders, you'd laugh. Like, really, really hard.

With that said, a track is better than no track.

Last edited:

Vise

TRIBE Member
How much are track days out there?
In Ontario or at Watkins Glen? The event at WGI was an amazing deal, $540 USD for 2 days... tons of on track time too, in the intermediate group there were 4 sessions of 40mins each per day. Hypothetically of course assuming there are no issues/incidents. I think about half the sessions were clean with the rest slowed by cars with mechanical issues. Only one minor skirmish, a Viper in the novice group hit the wall requiring some repairs to the barrier which shut down the track for an hour or so over lunch.

The event itself was excellent though, very well organized with an 'interesting' mix of cars. It used to be a Mustang club day so there were all manners of Stang new and old... from some fairly rough Fox body 5.0's with big motors + big wings to a few killer new GT350Rs. Man the GT350 sounds amazing. Also many Vettes from C5s to several C7 Z06s, a small collection of Porsches of course (911, GT3, GT4), and some others like a Huracan, Ford GT, Jag F-Type, GTR, M3, etc. The track itself is amazing too, super smooth since they just repaved it and fast as hell. Good times.

As for Ontario track days... depends on the day/organizer/track but figure anywhere from $350 at the low end for a DDT day (Mosport small track) to the normal $500-650ish for a full day at Mosport (big track) or Calabogie. There are some good values too like the BMW Trillium club, I think their 2 day session is $500-600ish depending on how early you register.

One pic from the Monday session... :)

the_fornicator

TRIBE Member
That's definitely not bad at all especially for a two-day session.

A track night for motorcycles is about $180 for four hours and they get 4-6 15-minute sessions depending on flags, incidents, and ambulance transfers.

Full day track days are $280. 4 groups, 15 minutes per group for 8 hours.

How fast do you burn through tires? lol man that must be expensive. $400 for a race weekend for tires seems a lot to me. I couldn't imagine forking out $2000 for tires for your car.

Vise

TRIBE Member
That's definitely not bad at all especially for a two-day session.
Yeah relative to the one off days around here via groups like 6th Gear, Apex, DriveTeq, etc it was certainly reasonable. Plus it was Watkins Glen, freshly paved in the off season no less so totally amazing.

As for tires, I'm still on my OEM set of P-Zeros with plenty of life left... mind you I haven't measured since the 2 days at the Glen. The edges are a bit scruffy, likely from being overinflated during a super hot day at Calabogie last season. Otherwise I'm still ok although I'm getting pricing on a set of Michelin Sport Cup 2s as potential replacements.

Let's keep in mind that I'm not driving at 10/10ths either... at this point I'm in the Intermediate group and at WGI I was probably mid-pack in terms of pace. I'm also not an idiot and realize I need to drive home in my track car so that plays a factor. :D

the_fornicator

TRIBE Member
haha it's always funny to see the type of drivers where, once that helmet is on, they become a verrrrrrrrrrry different person. Almost night and day. Almost like the helmet either casts a rage spell on them or completely cuts the oxygen off.

We have one person like that with the club right now. Dude crashes everywhere and he's getting fast too which is dangerous. Dude crashes at every event, he usually gets injured in every crash (major concussion in the states, concussion just two weeks ago, etc.), and he's pretty dangerous on the track (runs people off wide and laughs about it).

Buddy's wife went up to one of the execs crying and asked us to ban him for his own safety. Dude's got two kids to boot.

This guy's riding like he's in a Bad Boys/Fast and Furious spin-off.

Also replaced the serp belt on the 4Runner today. The last belt was stretched a bit so started to squeak. I wonder how hard it is to replace a pulley?

Vise

TRIBE Member
haha it's always funny to see the type of drivers where, once that helmet is on, they become a verrrrrrrrrrry different person. Almost night and day. Almost like the helmet either casts a rage spell on them or completely cuts the oxygen off.
Yes indeed, the 'red mist' phenomenon is well noted. Had a good chat with a guy at the Glen about it... he used to have a track prepped M3 that he wrote off at either Tremblant or Mosport a few years ago. He said he almost stopped tracking completely because out on track/at speed he would go full red mist and think he was racing for all of the marbles. He has a 997 C4S now and although he is quite experienced was happy running at 8/10ths in the intermediate or advanced groups. Smart man.

What was good at the WGI event (and frankly almost every DE I've been to) is that they are tightly managed as driver education events and NOT races. They went over the passing rules multiple times, were active with the blue flags, and even black flagged some drivers causing trains. It was funny during the drivers meeting, some meathead Mustang driver made a comment about 'that's what happens in racing' and the organizer basically shredded him in front of the entire group. Painful but nice to see.

As for the dude in your club, let us know how his inevitable funeral goes... :D

Balzz

TRIBE Member
We have one person like that with the club right now. Dude crashes everywhere and he's getting fast too which is dangerous. Dude crashes at every event, he usually gets injured in every crash (major concussion in the states, concussion just two weeks ago, etc.), and he's pretty dangerous on the track (runs people off wide and laughs about it).
That's a pretty shit club if they keep allowing him on track.

the_fornicator

TRIBE Member
That's a pretty shit club if they keep allowing him on track.
It's tricky. If the execs don't witness anything (large track so it's hard to see 1.5 kms away) and nobody formally raises a complaint about him, we legitimately can't do anything about it. We can say it's because he keeps crashing but crashes happen when people try to find their limits. So, then, the exec is left trying to defend how his crashing is any more dangerous than someone else's.

A bunch of the senior people have spoke to him and the guy constantly makes excuses for stuff -never his fault kind of thing.

However, we're at the point now where we're asking people to submit formal complaints whenever we hear a story so things are being documented.

the_fornicator

TRIBE Member
Oh wow, development: The exec put the rider on probation by using a never-used-before rule.

If the rider has any more incidents, there'll be a suspension and possibly fines.

Vise

TRIBE Member
Looks like I have my wife convinced to get a Golf R when her lease is up, huzzah! She is currently on her third Mercedes B-class but finally got her thinking about a change after we drove a GTI last weekend. Test drove a 2016 Golf R tonight (the Dealership GM's car no less), man it is a rocket and ridiculously well equipped for the price.

Likely ordering a 2017 in the next week or so, should hopefully be here in November... :)

Spacepilot

TRIBE Member
Looks like I have my wife convinced to get a Golf R when her lease is up, huzzah! She is currently on her third Mercedes B-class but finally got her thinking about a change after we drove a GTI last weekend. Test drove a 2016 Golf R tonight (the Dealership GM's car no less), man it is a rocket and ridiculously well equipped for the price.

Likely ordering a 2017 in the next week or so, should hopefully be here in November... :)
Nice!

the_fornicator

TRIBE Member
Holy shitballs.

I always thought those were FWD. I found out like a month ago those are AWD. Had no clue. Always wondered what the hubbub was about for a FWD drive car lol

They seem reliable enough with no major issues. Would have definitely considered one of those over the sti had I known they were AWD.

Vise

TRIBE Member
Yep the Golf R and R32 before that have always been AWD. Makes a massive difference too as expected... the current GTI will very easily spin the front tires but the R is planted and just takes off under hard acceleration. GTI is a great car too but the R is just at another level with the extra power + AWD + dynamic suspension setup.

After further discussion we finally confirmed our order today too... Lapiz Blue with these wheels. Now onto the 3-4 month wait.

the_fornicator

TRIBE Member
Snagging some 18" 1069 Procomp rims for the 4th gen 4Runner.

They're chrome which I absolutely hate, but I love the styling. Going to get the chrome plating removed and powder coated instead.

So, it'll look something sorta like this even though the pic below is a 3rd gen:

djfear

TRIBE Member
Vise, saw you on Queen going east at the DVP entrance last night as I was walking home from the rock climbing gym. Car looks and sounds sweet!

At least, I assume it was you since there aren't too many blue GT3s around!