• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Pimp Your Ride: The officious car thread for gear heads

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
How's your truck coming along Tahoe?

I just got a borla cat-back for mine and I'm pretty happy with it. Especially happy after driving around with a bad muffler for 2 months while I waited for Borla to build it!

Fillmore

TRIBE Member
Getting it done at a Mazda Event this weekend. Mazda attempted to break a Guinness book of world records, record but unfortunately they fell short.
634 rolling cars beats the existing parade record. 886 signed up and preregistered, 354 showed up....FAIL! Oh well, still a great day!

Tahoe

TRIBE Member
How's your truck coming along Tahoe?

I just got a borla cat-back for mine and I'm pretty happy with it. Especially happy after driving around with a bad muffler for 2 months while I waited for Borla to build it!
Nothing has been done since the front end was lowered and the truck was parked after keeping fuel in the tank nearly bankrupted me. I have to do a bit of work to my daily before the truck sees any more attention.

You have a pathfinder, right? That should sound pretty good with a Borla on it!

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
4runner! And I am pretty happy with how it sounds. Fairly unobtrusive at idle or cruising speed, but has a nice sound when you put your foot into it. Especially with the back window down!

the_fornicator

TRIBE Member

Awwwwwwwwww yeah, bitches! Been a year in the making and the runner is sitting in final primer.

After paint, I still have to get some flare fenders slapped on, spacers, shoes and tires, windows, the rest of the interior, bumpers, and rape/bush bar. I bought a 3" lift kit but I'm holding off on that for now because I don't know if it will fit in the garage then. Last thing I want is for this thing to sit out in the elements after having spent so much time and money into this.

the_fornicator

TRIBE Member
I guess some context is in order. Here's some pics building up to the current point:

My body guy found way more things wrong with the doors than I ever could have:

Cut out the rust along the passenger rear dog leg:

Used paper to fab up a replacement part:

Like a glove

She was in rough shape before

I tried to prep the thing as best I could but I ran out of time with racing season in full tow during August so I paid a friend to take care of the rest of the prep + paint. I never would have went to the extent that my friend did, but I guess that's why I'm paying out of the nose to have it finished up. The FrankenRunner's doors and panels that I sourced from donor vehicles didn't line up so a bunch of bending and molding had to take place -all of which I am unfamiliar with.

Thank shit for friends.

the_fornicator

TRIBE Member
The final steps of the 4runner are costing a fortune lol After realizing that I'm missing a few odds and ends, I just spent $300 on window belt moldings, some plastic bits for the weather strip on the door, a bumper bracket ($103 which is insane -they sell online for $26 but shipping is $45), and some glass channels.

$100 for wipers from a pick n pull and $100 for quarter windows. I have wipers but the paint chipped and it started rusting. I don't want to fuck around with sand blasting anymore.

After that, I think I should be good to go. There goes a quick $500. Boooooooo.

And get this! The window trim that goes around the front windshield from Toyota is $430!!! An aftermarket one from Speed Autoglass is $50. There's 0 difference since the windshield is sealed with glue anyway. $430 my ass. That is ridiculous.

Fillmore

TRIBE Member
Spinsah....lets see the ride and see what we can do about those rims??

Throw up a picture or two.

My current woes...took in the mazda for winter tire swap and the service tech calls me back to explain that my bypass valve on my CAI has broken and I am lucky no serious damage took place.
I got all upset about it and was ready to pound out an email to AEM when I finally read they do not recommend bypass valves on a turbo charged car so I am out of luck. They claimed this is a mix of heat and a bad rear motor mount that creates movement in the engine when I hammer it.

Car is now back to stock in preparation for a March sale.

Last edited:

Vise

TRIBE Member
Damn, you're lucky you didn't cause any major damage there.

Got my winter tires on as well... 19" winters are a bit ridiculous but whatever, looks nice. :D

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
I just picked up a 2006 Subaru Forester mainly for booting out to brunch and to the cottage - a certifiable vintage yuppy wagon. It's in great condition and was meticulously serviced, the only thing that irks me is that the steel wheels have a ton of surface rust and it's nothing a wire brush can take care of.

Where can I look for cheap but decent looking used rims/wheels? Something black or gunmetal would make this car look a million times better. Follow up question, how much would it cost to get them installed? I'm a total car noob, though I did successfully take apart the whole interior and install a new head unit and speakers last weekend.

Vise

TRIBE Member
If you want used try Kijiji... I have no clue on the Subaru modding scene but I know there is very strong support in Toronto for the WRX/STI. If you want to go new you can try Simply Tire, Tires23, Steelecase, etc. I deal with Speedstar, good option if you want to get a set of light weight forged Volks for your sick ride. :D

octo

TRIBE Member
i love the forester.

it's perfect blend of car, wagon and suv. specially 2008 and older. the newer ones look too much like a regular CUV (CRV,RAV4 etc) but it's still what i would get if i were in the market for something like that.

and ya, check kijiji for wheels. the other thing you could do is clean yours up and spray them with plasti dip.

if you're going to buy new wheels just mount winter tires on one set. the forester is basically unstoppable with winter tires.

here's some

Subaru rims with snow tires - City of Toronto Tires, Rims For Sale - Kijiji City of Toronto Canada.

just make sure you inspect them for damage

Fillmore

TRIBE Member
Spinsah....Subaru Forester Owners Forum

A really cheap way to customize those rims would be plastidip. You could achieve the black or gunmetal, glossy or matte. I think it sells for $25 or less for a can. I even have a contact that will come to your house and do it for you really cheap. I've never used the product but it seems pretty popular amongst the Mazda 3 tuner scene. Peels off whenever you want to change color.

As Vice mentioned, speedstar or simply tire could help you out if you don't mind buying something new. Vice directed me to speedstar a few years ago and I use those guys all the time...nice clean shop with knowledgable staff.

I'll post some pictures tomorrow of plastidip rims that a few contacts have done.

Fillmore

TRIBE Member
If you want to powder coat the rims, look up stripping technologies....this guy does great work for a great price out of Cambridge.

Vise

TRIBE Member
I'd highly recommend Auto-Links... I've used them a number of times and IMO they are the best in the GTA. They also use Formula1 Pinnacle ceramic tint vs the normal stuff too.

Fillmore

TRIBE Member
I'd highly recommend Auto-Links... I've used them a number of times and IMO they are the best in the GTA. They also use Formula1 Pinnacle ceramic tint vs the normal stuff too.

Just read some reviews from this place on the torontomazda 3 site and they are all very positive.