• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Pimp Your Ride: The officious car thread for gear heads

Dr. Grinch

TRIBE Member
This forum needs a car thread were you can talk about your hoopty, cars you're thinking of buying, cars you're dreaming of owning, or ask questions about maintenance. This, is that thread.

To start things off, I'm having a new clutch installed on Saturday. I'm also having my mechanical slave cylinder replaced with a fully hydraulic system that replaces the thrust bearing fork with a ram for engagement. A tilton valve goes in line to allow a change in engagement (drop a different pill into the valve to increase or decrease the pressure). Should hopefully drive like a totally different car!
 

deep

TRIBE Member
Word up. Right now I'm thinking about picking up the Mitsubishi Evo-X when it hits next spring. The BMW 1 Series styling is kind of disappointing.





 

Caz

TRIBE Member
Whoa, that mitsu looks rad

I'm thinking of trading in my 2006 Mazda 3 GT Sport for a mini cooper next summer, I drove one the other day and they are hilariously fun

 

deep

TRIBE Member
Yeah Rob's got a Cooper S and it is very fun. Bolts off the line and handles on rails.
 

Caz

TRIBE Member
Ah that's right, I forgot Rob drove one. I was amazed at the push right off the bat and especially the handling. Felt like a go-cart at times

edit: for deep
 

khemistry

TRIBE Member
Let me contribute by putting one of my old car. 1983 Toyota Starlet, I took the old engine out and put a 13B Rotary RX 7 Engine.

 

Lurker

TRIBE Member
khemistry said:
Let me contribute by putting one of my old car. 1983 Toyota Starlet, I took the old engine out and put a 13B Rotary RX 7 Engine.

*bows*

Fuck the new shit. Old chops like that are awesome. I love the fibreglass fenders. Really well done.
 

khemistry

TRIBE Member
Lurker said:
*bows*

Fuck the new shit. Old chops like that are awesome. I love the fibreglass fenders. Really well done.
Thanks those are not fiber glass, thats a suzuki sidekick fenders. This car was never sold in Canada and very rare to find. You can actually spot some of them in Cali but their's only 4 of us who own this type of car here in Toronto.

I like the old school toyota and their always easy to fix.
 

Dr. Grinch

TRIBE Member
deep said:
The new GTR looks pretty solid from Nissan...
I think price to performance Nissan may have missed the mark. We'll see when it comes out I suppose. The 'ring times they stated are sorta suspect.
I think your best buy these days for that kind of performance is a Vette. They're bringing them up hella cheap from the states (Autopark out this way has like 10 on the lot, all under 50k)

That being said my next go fast project will be an imported RHD Supra. The daddy of the Japanese monsters ;)
 

khemistry

TRIBE Member
Dr. Grinch said:
That being said my next go fast project will be an imported RHD Supra. The daddy of the Japanese monsters ;)

My first car was an 1988 Supra 7MGTE Turbo. Altho RHD Supra is nice why not just grab a skyline its the same thing RHD.
 

eLeKTRon

TRIBE Member
I hereby declare my love of late 1960's Detroit metal.

I particularly like General Motors products built between about 1967 and 1971 but Ford had a few nice models too. Chrysler, not so much.

a few of my top faves:

- 1967 Corvette Stingray 427
- 1967 or 1968 Pontiac Firebird (or Camaro, but I prefer the Firebird)
- 1968 Mustang GT fastback (there was a Cobra version, I think with a 429)
- 1966 Oldsmobile Tornado front wheel drive
- 1970 Buick Riviera (with the boat-tail rear end)
- 1968 Dodge Charger 426 Hemi
 

Rataxès

TRIBE Member
I've had to pare back the rides as of late, but am rocking a new VW GTI which is lots of fun and practical for the daddy in me.
 

Lurker

TRIBE Member
khemistry said:
Thanks those are not fiber glass, thats a suzuki sidekick fenders. This car was never sold in Canada and very rare to find. You can actually spot some of them in Cali but their's only 4 of us who own this type of car here in Toronto.

I like the old school toyota and their always easy to fix.
Holy shit!!! Now that I look closer, I can see the lines.

Brilliant body work.

Yeah, the RWD Starlet's are very rare indeed. You'd have an easier time finding a clean 510 SSS.
 

khemistry

TRIBE Member
Lurker said:
Holy shit!!! Now that I look closer, I can see the lines.

Brilliant body work.

Yeah, the RWD Starlet's are very rare indeed. You'd have an easier time finding a clean 510 SSS.
Thanks, I just got lucky since one of fellow car enthusiast friend is getting rid of the starlet. I just jump on the wagon and grab it out of his hands. I was driving the supra back then and Im always curious how does it feel like driving a smaller and lighter car. But still not satisfied with the 4AGE engine w/ dual carbs and it's making me deaf because it's way too loud. I decided to swap the engine for a 1996 RX 7 Rotary turbo engine. The engine gives me the pull that I want and legs in every gear. Unfortunately I have to let the car go after moving downtown. I got broken in so many times in my own basement parking spot. They smashed my passenger/driver side windows, rear window and not to mentioned vandalized the car. After 2 years of looking for the replacement part, I just had enough. Sold it for the price that I wanted and now I have my eye on the Nissan 300zx.
 

Lurker

TRIBE Member
^^ Dude, that sucks :(

Sorry you have to sell it. That thing must have been a complete nutter with the 13b-REW mill. I'm surprised you said the 4AGE w. carbs was making you deaf, and the rotary wasn't. I guess the turbos kill a lot of the noise.
 

khemistry

TRIBE Member
Lurker said:
^^ Dude, that sucks :(

Sorry you have to sell it. That thing must have been a complete nutter with the 13b-REW mill. I'm surprised you said the 4AGE w. carbs was making you deaf, and the rotary wasn't. I guess the turbos kill a lot of the noise.
It's all good. My life is better with out that car. I know it kinda sucks but I can always get the same thing if I want to build one again.
 

Vincent Vega

TRIBE Member
What do you guys think of this......The Nissan GT-R:

Porsche 911 Turbo performance (they always say that), for about half the price. Turbocharged V6, 450 hp, and a 0-60 of (wow) 3.6 seconds. Pretty damn good for $70,000. This is the one that evolved from the famous Skyline right?

Styling is pretty interesting, sort of Infiniti G Coupe meets fighter jet. And it'll drag Deep's Evo-X by its rice-wing all over the track!

 

deep

TRIBE Member
Vincent Vega said:
What do you guys think of this......The Nissan GT-R:
Already mentioned it up top einstein. Butt looks like a Mustang.

Is anyone else feeling like it's Christmas today with the Tokyo Auto Show?
 
Last edited:

deep

TRIBE Member
From the show: BMW 1 series tii with more fat stripped out of it . Yes that is a carbon fiber hood.



 
Top