• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Pikto and Firefox:Mac - a little discovery

acheron

TRIBE Member
Ok so I had a funny one this afternoon - VERY GEEKY WARNING.

So I go to Pikto's site to help pay Thom100's paycheque by making an order or two, and damned if they haven't 'upgraded' their online photo ordering system. But, it tells me that I can't use it because it's only compatible with Explorer for Windows, Firefox for Windows and Safari for Mac. So that sucks for me 'cuz I use Firefox for Mac, apparently not on the list.

So I emailed them to complain. Haven't heard back on that yet (it was only a short while ago) but then I got to thinking, no, it couldn't be that simple, but this is one of the great things about Firefox: it's very easy to configure using about:config (you know, the speedhack and all that)... Sure enough, there's a variable in about:config for "general.useragent.vendor", which is the browser tag - it read "Firefox" originally, so I changed it to "Safari" and went back to the Pikto site.

And low and behold, it worked. The ordering system let me in, let me upload a 30meg tiff file, choose my options and processed my credit card, etc.. Even remembered all that as I registered myself as a user after making the order. So cookies and security all worked fine.

I of course emailed them to call attention to what I had discovered. I have to wonder if the developer just hadn't even tried the system on Mac Firefox and left it out. Sheesh.

Anyway, anyone else who has this problem, that's the solution.

Hypnotoad

TRIBE Member
This happens all of the time. The problem with that approach however, is that when the developer looks at the stats for the site, she will assume no one is using firefox on that platform and will continue to not support it despite the popularity of the browswer.

A sucky catch 22

acheron

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Hypnotoad
This happens all of the time. The problem with that approach however, is that when the developer looks at the stats for the site, she will assume no one is using firefox on that platform and will continue to not support it despite the popularity of the browswer.

A sucky catch 22

Which is why I made sure to email pikto and tell them what happened.