• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Pics From FK @ 99 and Afterparty at Footwork

Alex D. from TRIBE on Utility Room

grit

TRIBE Member
why not said:
stop being such a snob.
yes, francois played some dubby percussion based shit that is pretty close to tribal, but body & soul was always about that kind of crazy-quilt approach - it was never supposed to be just soulful house.
i never made it to body & soul, but everyone i know who went was impressed mainly by the eclecticness - everything from tribal to garage to disco to reggae to techno to fucking lenny kravitz (apparently joe could destroy the room with Are You Going My Way).

(don't worry roger, it's all love, but they were working that room like a motherfucker and you know it)

ben, you said my real name online. i must kill you now. :eek:

seriously bro, i wasn't really feelin the music. especially the hard trax by francois. i've been to body n soul on two different occasions, and it was the best music/dj'ing i've ever witnessed, and yeah they were all over the map, but with dope shit non-stop. the records francois was playin at 99 were his C records.

elektron, you only remember 'faint' praise from me from the theo event? you obviously don't remember it too clearly!! also see the moodyman review.
to be honest, i DO think most dj's that roll into toronto don't rock the shit like they're capable. and theyr'e usually holdin back for some strange reason. and i actually am not into every type of house and techno that are out there.
i find allot of the stuff dj's are playin these days to be contrived, kinda annoying, and immature.
i like the really deep, serious, soulful shit. the obscure shit.... and that's why i'm into the detroit skool.

davehill79

TRIBE Promoter
grit said:
i DO think most dj's that roll into toronto don't rock the shit like they're capable. and theyr'e usually holdin back for some strange reason.
I'll tell you why..... The toronto crew is not really known for going ballistic and losing it are they !!!! The majority of DJ's are very good at reading the crowd, e.g. Francois K, you saying you didnt like the harder edged stuff, well when he saw that th majority of the crowd go mental, fuck it of course hes going to go more down that line.... So i blame it on everyone for DJs not not holding back, if you want DJs to play, you gotta play the DJ... Next time you hear a tune that you like, jump up and down like a loonatice and get everyone else around you to do it...

Peace out bitches..

mariazmess

TRIBE Member
davehill79 said:
I'll tell you why..... The toronto crew is not really known for going ballistic and losing it are they !!!!
... if you want DJs to play, you gotta play the DJ... Next time you hear a tune that you like, jump up and down like a loonatice and get everyone else around you to do it...

Peace out bitches..
aaaaaaaaaaaaaw ya - P-P-P-PAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTYYYYYY
Ah Toronto... stop posing and start PARTYING!

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Maui

TRIBE Member
I wasn't diggin the tunes so much myself, but I'm attributing that to the absolute horrid sound. I kinda stopped listening I'm sure at some point.

mariazmess

TRIBE Member
OH!
just put on my Adidas... THEY'RE SO GREEEEEEEEEN.
damn you 99 SUDBURY! damn youuuuuuu!

now i have to get new shoes. shucks!:O

OutcastTO

TRIBE Member
mariazmess said:
OH!
just put on my Adidas... THEY'RE SO GREEEEEEEEEN.
damn you 99 SUDBURY! damn youuuuuuu!

now i have to get new shoes. shucks!:O

I had the same problem but wiped them off with a cloth and some dishwashing soap. and they're as good as new. :)

mariazmess

TRIBE Member
OutcastTO said:
I had the same problem but wiped them off with a cloth and some dishwashing soap. and they're as good as new. :)
noooooooooo - - OUTCASTTO!!! I WANTED TO GET NEW SHOOOOES!!!
:( boo to good as new.

Aleks

TRIBE Member
^haha..my shoes still have green on 'em too....

anyways, ill just re-instate what i thought about Francois K & Joe Claussell going back to back........Fuckin' Magic!!! i thought it was a great collabo between them, i especially loved the percussive tracks FK played and how they sounded almost perfect on that system.

definately one of the best sets i've heard out in ages.

the gatekeeper

TRIBE Member
OutcastTO said:

That's good to hear cuz mine got filthy too. I've just been too lazy to attempt cleaning them. :eek:

Dave-there's a store on queen, north side, btwn spadina & bathurst (can't think of the name but the sign is written graffiti-style). It's near the kfc. They have a huge selection of stuff in there. Haven't gone in a while but they have tons of adidas stuff.

davehill79

TRIBE Promoter
Cheers K.. superstar.... Yeah didnt manage to ctach up with you much this night... Yeah yo should have made it down to FW, it was deeeopppeee..

See yo at FW bday

cjaxx

TRIBE Member
davehill79 said:
I'll tell you why..... The toronto crew is not really known for going ballistic and losing it are they !!!! The majority of DJ's are very good at reading the crowd, e.g. Francois K, you saying you didnt like the harder edged stuff, well when he saw that th majority of the crowd go mental, fuck it of course hes going to go more down that line.... So i blame it on everyone for DJs not not holding back, if you want DJs to play, you gotta play the DJ... Next time you hear a tune that you like, jump up and down like a loonatice and get everyone else around you to do it...

Peace out bitches..

thing is, the way i remember it, the crowd was indifferent to the dubby techy spacy stuff and lost their shit at anything remotely "garage" and soulful, like they were CRAVING it. I know I was. Very inconsistant night.

davehill79

TRIBE Promoter
cjaxx said:
thing is, the way i remember it, the crowd was indifferent to the dubby techy spacy stuff and lost their shit at anything remotely "garage" and soulful, like they were CRAVING it. I know I was. Very inconsistant night.
Show it then, i cant remember anyone apart from a few select of us going bananas... Each to their own on the music front, FK is a legend, and we were all very lucky to see him...

OutcastTO

TRIBE Member
OutcastTO said:
Anyone know if it was a track @ footwork that sampled "Fire in Cairo" by the cure? or was it just a looped sample of the "F-I-R-E-I-N-C-A-I-R-O" portion of the original track...it was dope either way

Matt

Bump?technics1200 :p

Rude1_247

TRIBE Member
OutcastTO said:
Anyone know if it was a track @ footwork that sampled "Fire in Cairo" by the cure? or was it just a looped sample of the "F-I-R-E-I-N-C-A-I-R-O" portion of the original track...it was dope either way

Matt
There's a white label floating around with the Fire in Cairo sample. HEard it recently in a Josh the FUnky 1 set, it's on his tracklisting here: http://feeds.feedburner.com/thefunky1

edit: believe its a digitalism remix

dicksherwood

TRIBE Member
the gatekeeper said:
Dave-there's a store on queen, north side, btwn spadina & bathurst (can't think of the name but the sign is written graffiti-style). It's near the kfc. They have a huge selection of stuff in there. Haven't gone in a while but they have tons of adidas stuff.

It's called Da Zone. Picked up some phat New Balance there on Fri, selection of Nike, Adidas, and Asics was amazing, fresh styles, fresh colours...just very little in a 14...ah well I sport New Balance sneakers to avoid a narrow path

~atp~

TRIBE Member
grit said:
to be honest, i DO think most dj's that roll into toronto don't rock the shit like they're capable. and theyr'e usually holdin back for some strange reason. and i actually am not into every type of house and techno that are out there.
i find allot of the stuff dj's are playin these days to be contrived, kinda annoying, and immature.
i like the really deep, serious, soulful shit. the obscure shit.... and that's why i'm into the detroit skool.

I don't want to aggravate any of those who feel offended by criticism, however I have to share the sentiment expressed in this post. I have noticed that a lot of the stuff I've been hearing from the mature DJs who are capable of so much have, for some reason, been restraining themselves in this city...at least, that is my impression.