• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Pickering Cancer Rates- Help stats people

stryker

TRIBE Member
I lived in Pickering for two years and my folks have lived there for a while now. Sure it was boring and suburban. But it was filled with nature and the overall experience was quite enjoyable, and on the surface an ideal place to raise a family.

My gf and I are going to start a family soon and Pickering/Durham is most likely where we'll end up. Sure we'd love to live in Toronto, but buying a house would make us house poor and living in a condo is not an option.

I'm comfortable living in Pickering and so is Jodi, but before making the decision to spend a good chunk of our lives out there I really want to do my due diligence regarding the implications of living near a nuclear plant.

I've spoke with nuclear activists and advocates, read the Durham Radiation Health Study, etc. I've had countless conversation with locals who have lived ( and swam in the lake) for decades without any health problems. I'd like to find a resource that is purely data, namely rates of Thyroid Cancer in Pickering.

Stats or Health people...does stats can have this kind of info? I'd be grateful if anyone who knows where this kind of data can be found would please post.

thanks
stew :)

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
I was born and raised in Pickering. I swam in the lake just feet from the plant growing up and now I barely glow at all! It was lots of fun when we had to do meltdown drills in elementary school where we would be handed out an iodine pill than hop on a bus to the safe refuge of far away Ajax.

praktik

TRIBE Member
Actually its kind of a minefield I would really think twice about using stats like that to determine where you live. Searching on this topic turned up a very recent article in Slate on it!

Cancer cluster in Toms River, New Jersey: The link to a Superfund site is surprisingly weak. - Slate Magazine

The issue at root is correlation vs causation, some cancer clusters that appear to be a smoking gun for an environmental cause end up after investigation to be more tightly correlated with lifestyle, and the fact that areas attract people of a similar lifestyle/age/culture, etc. There's more to it than that, but you should probably refrain from using this kind of approach to determine if you live in Pickering or not..;)

Karim

TRIBE Member
They're shutting down the plant in a few years with plans to expand the Darlington plant.

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
There's plenty of reasons I would never want to move back to Pickering, or raise a family there, but proximity to the nuke plant is not one of them.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

stryker

TRIBE Member
I was born and raised in Pickering. I swam in the lake just feet from the plant growing up and now I barely glow at all! It was lots of fun when we had to do meltdown drills in elementary school where we would be handed out an iodine pill than hop on a bus to the safe refuge of far away Ajax.
you swam in the water? I've been trying to work up the nerve to do it for years . Every summer "this'll be the year". I take the dogs to the beach at Frenchman's Bay all of the time. The water looks so good, but I'm a pussy with cold water. I've set Canada Day weekend as the swim date for 2013..lol

It's not very scientific, but my litmus test has been my parent's dogs. Everyday for the past 10 years they have swam in Lake Ontario and Frenchman's Bay. To date they're fine. When I was living in Scarborough we had Golden Retriever (Ranger)that died from a liver tumour, his brother Riker (my neighbour bought his brother) died at 3, also from some type of cancer. When we put Ranger down my Dad got another dog Baxter from the same breeder, from the same bloodline. My parents moved to Pickering soon after Baxter arrived. Now he's old, fat, happy and more importantly surprisingly healthy considering has spent is entire life swimming in Pickering waters.

The Radiation & Health in Durham Region Report says that there is no significant correlation to living beside a generator and increased rates of cancer. They used Halton/Simcoe County as the comparison and their summary says that it's fine. I personally think it's fine but then again, I don't expect Durham Region to release a report that says, living out here is toxic, thank you for property taxes.

Praktik, the Durham report came to the same conclusion. When comparing Ajax-Pickering-Clarington to Halton/-Simcoe County.

I've come to the belief the quality of life is high enough living here to combat effects of minor exposure to radiation. But I'm happy to take chances with my health on my unsubstantiated theories, but for the rest of my families I feel it would be reckless not to take an informed approach to making the decision to uproot to Durham.

stew

Karim

TRIBE Member
I lived in Pickering last summer while taking a summer work term at the plant and was blown away at how congested the city was. The population boom in that region was too much for the current road infrastructure to handle. If you want to go to the Costco in Ajax from Pickering during rush hour, good luck.

I know that the traffic doesn't compare to Toronto traffic. But if you're gonna live in suburbia, you shouldn't put up with the congestion.

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
You're absolutely right, Karim. I was back visiting a while ago during rush hour and HWY 2 and the 401 are total nightmares. Even up north on Taunton is totally jammed now too with all the development up there.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Persephone

TRIBE Member
I would look to the Canadian Cancer Society's website. You can find cancer statistics by province there. You'll have to scan through annual reports on cancer trends. Each year the annual report takes a different focus, where an in-depth report is given on a special topic (ie cancer in childre, breast cancer, etc) in addition to the usual information about cancer (this would primarily be about new cancer rates and mortality due to cancer by type and sex). This information is going to require some digging on your part.

Start here:Canadian Cancer Statistics publication

Persephone

TRIBE Member
Another thought - they type of statistics you're looking for will be fairly difficult to accurately predict due to the fact that people move around a lot.

You might want to search more generally using Google scholar to find information about cancer rates in people living near nuclear power plants, or near Candu reactors (this will probably be hard to find).

stryker

TRIBE Member
Karim, traffic in Durham has become crazy in the past 5 years but the plan is to be within walking distance to the GO Station. That's what I did when I was out there before and walking by the marshes on Bayley in the morning made waking up a pleasant experience.

thanks for the info Persephone!
stew

jmaggs

TRIBE Member
Ditto. We used to swim out by Petticoat and the mouth of the Rouge all the time.

What High School did you go to? Dunbarton?

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Karim

TRIBE Member
PM me your e-mail and I'll send you three scholarly articles regarding the incidence of cancer near nuclear plants. The studies are widely cited peer reviewed journal articles. One is based in Switzerland, the other in Illinois and the last one is a summary of various other studies. Although none examine the effect of Candu reactors (like the ones used at Pickering Nuclear), you can rest assured that if the other types of reactors are safe, Candu reactors are safe as they are widely regarded as the safest reactors around.

stryker

TRIBE Member
PM me your e-mail and I'll send you three scholarly articles regarding the incidence of cancer near nuclear plants. The studies are widely cited peer reviewed journal articles. One is based in Switzerland, the other in Illinois and the last one is a summary of various other studies. Although none examine the effect of Candu reactors (like the ones used at Pickering Nuclear), you can rest assured that if the other types of reactors are safe, Candu reactors are safe as they are widely regarded as the safest reactors around.
pm'ed!
thanks
stew

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
Ditto. We used to swim out by Petticoat and the mouth of the Rouge all the time.

What High School did you go to? Dunbarton?
You got it. We used to sneak into Petticoat for summer time night swims in the pool and bonfires. Memories!

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
before making the decision to spend a good chunk of our lives out there I really want to do my due diligence regarding the implications of living near a nuclear plant.
There are probably 1000 ways to die above the nuclear plant on the list of ways to die FWIW. Unless the plant does a tsunami style like in Japan then you're screwed.

I grew up within the 10kms "danger zone" of darlington when I was a kid and I'm fine.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Hawk Eye

TRIBE Member
I grew up in Pickering and lived there until my early 20's. My parents still live there so I visit frequently. I've never swam in the lake though. Other then that, I have nothing else to contribute to this thread :)

Lojack

TRIBE Member
Personally, I'd be more interested in the cancer rates of those living in condos surrounding the CN Tower. The RF energy that the antenna puts out is huge.

-- L

NXUS12

TRIBE Member
After living downtown for almost 20 years, I recently moved to Pickering. I expected to hate it but so far I like it. We are in the Altona and Shepard area. Amazing green space, almost everyone is friendly, 5 minutes drive to whatever you need. As much as I hate the burbs, this place ain't half bad. Our exit is Whites Rd so even in rush hour your off the 401 before it jams up. Even the next exit Brock is not that bad at rush hour but after that forget about it. The only thing that I really miss is that community feel we had in Lesliville. Oh ya and the dog parks from a shooting the shit with people perspective.