1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Physiotherapy clinic recommendation?

Discussion in 'Health Forum' started by [- FuNKtiOn -], Sep 29, 2010.

1. [- FuNKtiOn -]

[- FuNKtiOn -] TRIBE Member

anyone have a recommendation for a good physio spot downtown?
    I've got a couple fractured vertebrae in my spine and need to further the recuperation process.

ideally would like something downtown, between Front St and Dundas, and between Spadina and Church street.

there are obviously a lot of options which is why Im hoping someone may have had a good experience somewhere around these parts.

thanks!

2. Vote_4_Pedro

Vote_4_Pedro TRIBE Member

3. Subsonic Chronic

Subsonic Chronic TRIBE Member

If you can, find a physio who is a member of CAMPT. Physios with the RCAMT and FCAMT designations have undergone additional training in manipulative therapy and are more likely to be 'good' physios. (They have a 'find a therapist' link on the website). That's not to say that physios without that designation are garbage, but you're more likely to end up with a good one if you can find one on the site.

Some physios will only spend 5-10 minutes with you, hook you up to a machine and call it a day. You want one who's going to be spending at least 20-30 minutes directly with you; is going to help you understand what you can do to help your condition; and are going to spend a lot of time with their hands on you.

Machines certainly have their place and can complement manual treatments, but are not a treatment in and of themselves.

4. Silvershadow

Silvershadow TRIBE Member

Indeed. don't know what the downtown location is like, but I would definitely recommend the Yonge and Eglinton location. I went there a couple years back due to a lower back injury. Mark is awesome.

5. Deus

Deus TRIBE Member

For fracture rehabilitation you don't really need a PT with manipulative designations, but maybe you can find one who specializes in spinal rehab. If you are worried about how much time they spend with you, call ahead and ask how long treatments last. In Alberta PTs book in 15min treatment slots (with 1 hour initial assessment), and most people get the impression that the PT does not spend enough time with them. However, once the treatment regime is established the PT does not need to spend a lot of time with you. Sometimes the less experienced PTs will book in 30min slots. In Ontario, I think 30min is standard, but I'm not sure about it.

6. jocelyn dee

jocelyn dee TRIBE Promoter

7. Techdruid

Techdruid TRIBE Member

Does anyone know of the Spine Clinic at Trillium hospital? Does treatment actually work?

I've been working with another physiotherapist and stopped after an MRI showed a slipped disc. This is what is causing the sciatica, can't feel my left leg and severe pain in lower back, can't sit nor stand nor walk for two days. Barely eating and making it to work and the pain is driving me crazy. :(

I'm taking off two days next week so hopefully Trillium will have some answers!

8. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

I went to Athlet's Care recently, downtown location and ya.

Ok.

They helped me out so I shouldn't be complaining. I got some recommendations for tweaks to my core program which really lifted me out of the the worst phases of bulging disc/sciatica... and these modifications will stay with me a long time.

All that being said, I really felt like a Revenue Generating Unit, it was hard to book time cause they packed their schedules so tight, and while she had time enough for me when I was there her attention was usually split between me and at least one or two other people...

which is maybe the way it is everywhere I guess - its a business after all.

But I didn't really feel that personal connection...

9. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

I was very pleased with the care I received at Pivot on Bloor West:

Pivot Sport Medicine and Orthopaedics - Bloor West, Toronto, Physiotherapy Toronto, Chiropractor Toronto, Massage Therapy Toronto, Orthotics Toronto, Osteopathy Toronto, Athletic Therapy Toronto

I throw my back out occasionally and it takes weeks to recover fully - my MD refers me to Pivot as it's on my way to work and they know what they're doing. Between the therapy itself and the advice on take-home exercises and learning how to avoid back strain in general they've been very helpful.

10. Techdruid

Techdruid TRIBE Member

Thanks for the responses! Gonna check both of those out. It's encouraging to know that other people are having same issues, you still able to drive? Thank goodness my numb leg is left and still crying on the back, Trillium can't come soon enough. Thanks for those heads up.

11. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

oh wow dude you got sciatic pain going down your leg?

12. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

oh shit - ya you do, missed that somehow...

13. Bacchus

Bacchus TRIBE Promoter

Another vote for Athlete's care.

14. Hawk Eye

Hawk Eye TRIBE Member

I saw Alex at yonge/eg.

Yonge/King is a great location as well.

absolute endurance at Yonge/Merton is another good clinic.

Absolute Endurance - Services

15. Zay

Zay New Member

There is a clinic downtown called Rebalance Sports Medicine. The physiotherapists that work there have their FCAMPT status and I would agree that individuals with this designation really know their stuff. I herniated my disc and I couldn't even walk. I was worried I needed surgery but my symptoms improved very quickly. The therapist taught me some core exercises (ones that I was doing before but incorrectly) and my back is seriously feeling better than it has in over 10 years. I would highly recommend this place.

16. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

Good man!

I had similar kind of issue as you saw above - but happy to report the core strengthening tricks they gave me have worked and I'm stronger than *I've* been in 10 years too!

HIGH FIVE

and welcome to the board I guess??

17. Zay

Zay New Member

That's great! I have to say that I would not have even been able to work on those exercises without the other treatment my physio provided. She massaged some muscles and knew exactly which ones were tight. She also did acupuncture and some other fancy stretches on my back.

Unlike your post about Athlete's Care, the clinic I went to (Rebalance Sports Medicine) was very personable and they really took the time to assess me and treat me.

18. Bacchus

Bacchus TRIBE Promoter

Im going to also chime in and say athlete's care.

These guys are among the top in Toronto, and there's a good reason they support many professional athletes.

19. raptorfan2

raptorfan2 New Member

Agree!!

I totally agree! I recently discovered Rebalance Sports Medicine and have had an extremely positive experience with the physiotherapist I see there. I also go to this clinic for massage therapy and personal training and have had positive experiences with all therapists. I am seeing results and feel great! Rebalance is a multidisciplinary clinic and they offer a number of other services (i.e RMT, chiro, acupuncture, naturopathy, personal training, Pilates, etc.) which is very convenient. Checkout their website which has detailed info on all the services they offer including physiotherapy in downtown Toronto: Rebalance Sports Medicine

20. SolChild

SolChild TRIBE Promoter

My recommendation is Paths to Vitality on Parliament.
    I've been seeing an Osteopath there who's the owner and he's helped me out quite a lot. He's also part owner of a gym and is affiliated with many professional sports teams. They have many services there I would highly recommend.

Toronto Osteopathy | Toronto, ON Osteopaths | Paths to Vitality