• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Photosynth Demo

xopus

TRIBE Member
Using photos of oft-snapped subjects (like Notre Dame) scraped from around the Web, Photosynth (based on Seadragon technology) creates breathtaking multidimensional spaces with zoom and navigation features that outstrip all expectation. Its architect, Blaise Aguera y Arcas, shows it off in this standing-ovation demo. Curious about that speck in corner? Dive into a freefall and watch as the speck becomes a gargoyle. With an unpleasant grimace. And an ant-sized chip in its lower left molar. "Perhaps the most amazing demo I've seen this year," wrote Ethan Zuckerman, after TED2007. Indeed, Photosynth might utterly transform the way we manipulate and experience digital images.
http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/view/id/129

one of the coolest things i've seen in a while.

OTIS

TRIBE Member
I thought it was the actual demo.. a previous video presentation of the software was posted a while back.

And what's with these presentations eliciting audible gasps and exasperations as if they're all in a southern chapel? It's borderline creepy. I think it all started with the sheep at the MAC conferences. Jeez people, stop having orgasms over mediocre presentations of neat designs, next you'll be throwing your briefs at the dude.

Last edited:

gsnuff

TRIBE Promoter
OTIS said:
stop having orgasms over mediocre presentations of neat designs, next you'll be throwing your briefs at the dude.
Well, it is the TED conference right? I mean that is the crowd that would get off on that kind of technology. It is also a pretty amazing technology, i.e. crowdsourced 3D modeling? Think of it.. 3D models of anything with a body of photography of it. It is pretty incredible; it renders Google street level photography obsolete and that isn't even that old!

The above said, I'm not a fan off orgasm by way of the revelation of a new consumer technology (unless it is a sex toy).

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Kalemic

TRIBE Promoter
OTIS said:
I thought it was the actual demo.. a previous video presentation of the software was posted a while back.

And what's with these presentations eliciting audible gasps and exasperations as if they're all in a southern chapel? It's borderline creepy. I think it all started with the sheep at the MAC conferences. Jeez people, stop having orgasms over mediocre presentations of neat designs, next you'll be throwing your briefs at the dude.
Progression in ideas be it experimental or tangible, is an easy way to get me all "wooooooooooooh"! ch33se

Bass-Invader

TRIBE Member
OTIS said:

it's pretty amazing stuff, i think it warranted the reactions.

you can try it here
http://labs.live.com/photosynth/view.html?collection=sanmarco/index1.sxs

and it works in firefox.

Polymorph

TRIBE Member
OTIS said:

as much as I disagree with the overall comment there, this dude has a point.

lecture-demos like this really should be presented by some ridiculously hot argentinian broad, in which case the throwing of briefs would make much more sense.

The Kid

TRIBE Member
i'll admit it, i fully got a nerd-boner watching that. so slick. love how when you see the rendering of the chapel it maps out where each picture was taken so you can see the field of view and location of the person taking it. crazy cool.

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit