• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

photography portfolio

tella

TRIBE Member
i've got a few college/uni interviews coming up and they've asked me to bring a portfolio. they weren't specific in the size of prints that they would like to see soooo what would you all recommend? 5x7, 8x10, 11x14 ????

KiFe

TRIBE Member
do unconventional sizes with interesting framing..

really wide or really tall.
round or perfectly square might be interesting too.

Break from typical convention!!!

What better time to go out and take some fresh pics than right after a big snowfall...

Sunshyne Jones

TRIBE Member
i saw a cool one with colored paper and mettalic paper used as matting behind the photos ... looked excellent, and I've never forgotten it ... not just with the photo centred, but creative usage of paper as a foil for the photos, off centre etc.

tella

TRIBE Member
thanks for the ideas! i was going to make it really simple but i love the idea of the metallic paper and i also love patricks idea of having different size prints.

now i just hope all this isn't vain *crosses fingers*

trinitydub

TRIBE Member
don't go larger than 9x12. seriously.

all the portfolios i have put together and submitted (for both photography and graphic design programs) stipulated no larger than 9x12. if it doesn't say, then you probably COULD go larger, but think of the person who is lugging it around to evaluate it.

i would also stay away from metallic papers and mat everything the same way, on either white or black, but keep it nice and crisp and clean....keep it simple and consistent.

remember, they're looking at the photographs for photo school, and probably nothing else.

Last edited:
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

DJAlchemy

TRIBE Promoter
you'll want to be able to demonstrate different skills, not merely your eye for the visually appealing. Show your knoweldge of colour, by utilizing hue, saturation, and contrast. B&W photography will probably be your best example of contrast.

If you have any good multiple exposures, solarizations, masking, etc. be sure to include them. You will also want to demonstrate a knoweldge of critical thinking. Include any photography that has strong cultural metaphors.

Don't worry about conventional frame sizes, unless having a unifrom look is important to the presentation of your portfolio. That being said, presentation is the MOST imporat thing. Its very difficult to find fault with someone's work when they present it well, you almost have to go looking for fault; but if you just have a whole bunch of papers on a desk right away I can tell you a dozen things wrong with it. Try to have some kind of theme if you can, it would really aid with the presentation and it would show your ability to see the bigger picture. (pun intended)

:)

D.

trinitydub

TRIBE Member
after reading the last post i want to amend myself a bit - having a clean presentation is super important but DO NOT OVERDO IT. keep it very simple.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

ninja

TRIBE Member
I say 8x10 is fine. when I had my Ocad interviews it was more that you were able to show a technical knowledge of a darkroom and how to achieve what you hope to in a work. its all about being unique, riped edges on photos works pretty well depending on subject matter.
at the interview sesion at ocad there was a system of how htey were interviewing as well

1st group of interviewers, positive liked work jsut had to explane motivations for certain images etc,.
2nd, Hated your work, nothing but negative critism ( jsut to see how you react to it
3rd pretty impartial and honest.

this is how it went for me but it could have changed since its been a few years.