• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Peter van Hoesen @ B&E

alison87

TRIBE Member
Was fucking awesome. Got there around when Arthur Oskan started, stayed till Mike Gibbs' closing track. This is probably the first techno party where i've danced right through (no smoke break) since the London acid/techno parties some mates of mine threw back in 2003.

Arthur was nice, quite pretty and melodic, which usually doesn't do it for me, but he kept a bit of edge that kept me on the floor.

PvH i've heard of before but never bothered to see because i'm not that into straight down the line techno (vs other subgenres). This time i did after one of my most serious techno chinstroker friends gave his set in Australia a glowing recommendation. I was not disappointed. He threw down an hour, hour and a half of some seriously sick techno. Loopy analogy stuff that was reminiscent of (but not) acid, grinding industrialy stuff and banging Faki-style peak tunes. Toward the end he went on a bit of an oldskool/anthemy tangent, which i found a little jarring. I don't mind DJs playing the odd old track to let people "come down" after a serious dance session, or as a bit of a joke, but there were too many for me. Still, he did play Nitzer Ebb during that section, which totally made it worth sticking through. I wish he'd had a longer set; i suspect if he'd had 3 hours then the "anthem section" wouldn't have been as jarring because he could've built into/out of it, but alas we live in Canada where parties end before anyone's drugs kick in. Anyway, another nice thing about PvH was he seemed to do quite long and layered mixes (though it was hard to tell because i only recognized a few tracks). I really appreciate that in the techno world and i feel like a lot of local DJs don't push it quite as far, so it was good to see.

And in spite of the last call exodus, Mike Gibbs kept a decent-sized dance crew going till after 5, which was amazing. I think i've only seen him in BOK tag-team mode, and seeing him on his own is a whole different thing. He did play a few of those pretty/melodic tunes that had me pondering leaving, but instead of drawing it out for tracks on end, it kept going back to banging tech. There were a few tracks around 4:15-4:30 that were particularly good, minimal and synth loopy with odd rhythms. So sick.

It was really nice to be at a techno party where the dancefloor was full (of dancers, not chinstrokers). I really like Neutral as a venue, the bouncers and bar staff are friendly, there's a chill area but it's close enough to the dancefloor it doesn't feel isolated, there are plenty of bathrooms... Probably one of the better small venues i've been to here. It helps that the promoters whose parties i've been to there bring in great sound and visuals too.

If you like techno and didn't go to this, kick yourself now. Best techno event i've been to in years, easy.

praktik

TRIBE Member
I had a blast... still get tingles thinking about PVHs last track - what an ender!

THat one carried me to the back and when the dust cleared realized me and a few other dancers had opened up a bit of a circle and had gone up the energy ladder together - we looked at each other - panting - and were like

what

THE FUCK

WAS THAT!!

Literally just had to RUN outta there around 4:15ish when a breakdown hit - was too looped in and had to really rip myself away if I was gonna make bed before the sun came up!

praktik

TRIBE Member
alison we are steam friends, tribe friends

but as of yet have not met in analog form despite attending the same events!

Check me out @ Omar-S maybe??

praktik

TRIBE Member
ya its not bad - the bathrooms by the stage thing is always annoying but they are tucked in a bit which makes it definitely tolerable.

No fuss w/ any of the bar or security - just good times! Sound wasn't bad too - could actually have conversations and be rocked @ the same time!

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

alison87

TRIBE Member
alison we are steam friends, tribe friends

but as of yet have not met in analog form despite attending the same events!

Check me out @ Omar-S maybe??
What's up with that!! Which one are you? I was the tall angry lookin one front right hand side most of the night. (Not really angry, i'm really all rainbows and unicorns on the inside.)

Omar S is definitely tempting. All these Mansion+friends parties coming up look sick as hell, though i am a bit worried about the vibe after KiNK. I'd also really like to see Philip Bader because he's the first musician to visit here i've actually bought a bunch of music of in the last year, but i'm not sure i can deal with Footwork. Never thought i was that much of a stickler for vibe when the music rocks, but like i said, i practically ooze PLUR in my old age. Must be a palindromic thing.

praktik

TRIBE Member
actually I was near front-right for a lot of the night too, but was kinda of too dense right close to the stage so I was just a bit back from the crowd at the front until later at night when there was more room up there

was wearing a "science - it works!" shirt w/ a grey golf cap and I had my hoodie tied around my waist once I got moving...

You might say I dance like a robot sometimes..;)

I am also lukewarm on mansion after KiNK - feel an almost, been there - done that kind of thing..;)

zoo

TRIBE Member
i'll be at the omar-s show for sure, hope to see you guys there :) i'm REALLY looking forward to seeing the BNE and Mansion crowd stirred together.