• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Peter Hook (from New Order) @ Ultra

TRO

TRIBE Member
swung by for about 1/2 and the crowd although it was the "ultra" type crowd...were suprised to see this guy behind the decks...yes his mixing was a bit off...but he was playing some hardcore electro joints @ about 12:30 everybody loved when he played diddy's jack your body or what evere that tune is called...

I'm surprised he was there and even more surpirsed that I was as well..


now I have to see how I ended up at ultra among the handful of other spots I went to last night...


goddamn my head is killing me...and hot spot isn't as good comming up as it is going down

ohh yea and he's pretty funny looking, total rock and roll image...imagine a dude from spinal tap aged, DJing and still rocking out
 
Last edited:
Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

SRM

TRIBE Member
yeah...just watching that video, pretty much sums it up. he's just trying to make some money of his name i guess. too bad for the real dj's out there!
sad.
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
thats by far the lamest piece of shit 5+ minutes ive ever seen.
thank god i didnt pay to go see that.
 

TRO

TRIBE Member
ndrwrld said:
thats by far the lamest piece of shit 5+ minutes ive ever seen.
thank god i didnt pay to go see that.


I watched it to...
thank god I didn't even pay to get in to ultra...I was pretty ahmmered by the time we got to ultra...

and he was dancing the same as the video..maybe not tweeking the knobs as much but again I was only there for less then an hour...
 

loopdokter

TRIBE Promoter
To all of the haters, you're obviously not aware that this guy was around for and was very much a part of the acid house movement in the UK from pretty near the beginning. He was a co-owner of the legendary Hacienda. For people who are saying he's just cashing in on his name, you're wrong. Think about it: New Order have plenty of cash. He's really legitamately into the music and although he may not mix well, he's quite aware of the concept of mixing and has a forthcoming mix CD coming out soon.

Cheers,
J<
 

AshG

Member
ouch.

i dont say he's cashing in, and of course he's been monumental to electronic music, but good god that clip is just horrendous.
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

billy

TRIBE Member
loopdokter said:
To all of the haters, you're obviously not aware that this guy was around for and was very much a part of the acid house movement in the UK from pretty near the beginning. He was a co-owner of the legendary Hacienda. For people who are saying he's just cashing in on his name, you're wrong. Think about it: New Order have plenty of cash. He's really legitamately into the music and although he may not mix well, he's quite aware of the concept of mixing and has a forthcoming mix CD coming out soon.

Cheers,
J<

hmm. mixed thoughts on this one. although technically he was an owner of the hacienda it was only by being a part of factory records. he had no real direct involvement with the club. sure he does have a part of electronic music, though remember that new order is not really a full on electronic band. it drove their sound but hooky was a bass player, bernard was a guitar player, stephen did drums and gillian was only added later as the keyboardist.

i have to lean towards the side of, just because you were in a band that has some to alot of pull in electronic music, it does not mean that you are instantly a good dj or should be accepted as one. it's like musicians who become actors. it doesn't always work out well and there is no reason unless that one turns out to be quite talented at it that we should accept them or credit them as such.

that all aside, i look forward to anton's film about joy division. hooky himself has already publicly expressed his concerns about anton's (corbijn) role as director.
 

litespeed

Well-Known TRIBEr
he doesn't get paid enough for djing for me to think if it as cashing in on his name.

no doubt he's really into music. he's made it his life's work.


that clip is pretty bad... but funny as hell. i bet he was wasted.
 

Taro

TRIBE Member
my bet is coke -- he is brushing his hair (removing the coke-sweat) too many times in this video for it to be. Given the general arms in the air, he definitely appears to be trashed.
 

Taro

TRIBE Member
^for it not to be..
and after reviewing the tunes...it's that his mixing is bad -- he just doesn't really do it during the video...
 

SRM

TRIBE Member
billy said:
hmm. mixed thoughts on this one. although technically he was an owner of the hacienda it was only by being a part of factory records. he had no real direct involvement with the club. sure he does have a part of electronic music, though remember that new order is not really a full on electronic band. it drove their sound but hooky was a bass player, bernard was a guitar player, stephen did drums and gillian was only added later as the keyboardist.

i have to lean towards the side of, just because you were in a band that has some to alot of pull in electronic music, it does not mean that you are instantly a good dj or should be accepted as one. it's like musicians who become actors. it doesn't always work out well and there is no reason unless that one turns out to be quite talented at it that we should accept them or credit them as such.

that all aside, i look forward to anton's film about joy division. hooky himself has already publicly expressed his concerns about anton's (corbijn) role as director.

well said...
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

lonemale

TRIBE Member
Re: Youtube clip of Hooky in Hong Kong...

Wow - really - wow. That's a fucking joke.
Him and Keoki should hang.
 

Taro

TRIBE Member
having *not* been to the party....I have to say, that's ridiculous....
You can' judge soemone off a 5 minute performance and someone's review.

I grant that I speculate he's on coke (like the majority of big wigs -- he, he....) but in no way do I think that someone should judge him off this youtube video as a co-relative fact and then not go to see him based on that...
 

africa

TRIBE Member
really, how can anyone justifiably defend this guy, because his band was relevent decades ago?? this is pathetic and disgraceful, not only to himself and his band, but to DJs and electronic musicians. hacienda or not, this is a trainwreck and a good example of how counter productive reverence can be
 

billy

TRIBE Member
i made my statements before watching the video and really, it doesn't change anything at all. as far as that clip, what exactly was he trying to make people think he was doing by touching those same two eq knobs all the time (with no change in the sound)? that whole arms stretching out i am jesus thing always makes me ill, no matter what dj it is.

clearly he is high but whatever. you can't peg him for that. drugs and clubs go hand in hand. yes, he didn't do an actual mix nor did he pick a cd during the multiple times he went back so can't say much about his skills.

nice remix though. :)
 

rave jedi

TRIBE Member
billy said:
that all aside, i look forward to anton's film about joy division. hooky himself has already publicly expressed his concerns about anton's (corbijn) role as director.

Can't wait to see this film "Control" later on this year. Did you know Martin Gore from Depeche Mode partially financed this project for his good pal Anton?
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

billy

TRIBE Member
rave jedi said:
Can't wait to see this film "Control" later on this year. Did you know Martin Gore from Depeche Mode partially financed this project for his good pal Anton?

instantly i would think that was a joke, but since it's you (a fan), are you serious? i would think anton had enough cash already from his DM work and the other bands (like U2) that he has worked with. who is producing the film?
 

kyfe

TRIBE Member
africa said:
really, how can anyone justifiably defend this guy, because his band was relevent decades ago?? this is pathetic and disgraceful, not only to himself and his band, but to DJs and electronic musicians. hacienda or not, this is a trainwreck and a good example of how counter productive reverence can be


what have you done in the name of music?
 

loopdokter

TRIBE Promoter
africa said:
really, how can anyone justifiably defend this guy, because his band was relevent decades ago?? this is pathetic and disgraceful, not only to himself and his band, but to DJs and electronic musicians. hacienda or not, this is a trainwreck and a good example of how counter productive reverence can be

Cleary an 'I've been irrelevant my entire life' post.

Schlep.

Cheers,
J<
 

billy

TRIBE Member
kyfe said:
what have you done in the name of music?

ouch. profitable success in music does not always mean that one can be considered successful. you know nothing about this poster (well, i assume you don't) so maybe he/she is a musician, or dj or some sort of performer.

many of us here are/were djs but most of us will remain unknown to the world. even if you are not a dj, being a fan, a purchaser of records/cds/downloads and tickets makes you someone in music. you put out the cash that helps the musicians you love to make more music.

think about it.
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders
Top