• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

People who say they are "fine" on less than 8 hours of sleep

praktik

TRIBE Member
...are deluding themselves. They just can't perceive the damage they're doing.

Also: you can't "catch up" on sleep, the deprivation/binge cycle is actually like a sleep "bulemia", and you can never undo the damage you do on any night with less than 8 hours (including 7 hours!)

Also: we are naturally bi-phasic and maybe we should nap more

also: 100 years ago average sleep was 9.25 hours

This podcast will change the way I approach my sleep - a ton of "holy shit" moments here by a very engaging interviewee:

https://soundcloud.com/inquiringmin...-sleep?in=inquiringminds/sets/inquiring-minds

Jeffsus - lets be sure to follow our apnea treatments!!!

acheron

TRIBE Member
As I get older (43 now) I find myself appreciating a full sleep (8hrs - I usually get between 6.5-8.5 hrs a night anyway) much more than I used to. I also really enjoy napping mid-afternoon.

praktik

TRIBE Member
Guy on the podcast was pretty adamant - Im sure there's some natural variation around 8, but not by much.

This was one of the surprising things I learned, i expected there to be more variation.

derek

TRIBE Member
rarely will i sleep more than 7hrs straight. i average around 6.5.

it's been this way most my life

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

coleridge

TRIBE Member
I will naturally balance at 7.5 hours. My GF balances to 9.

I know there are people who can function perfectly fine on 5 or 6. Our new mayor is one of them.

praktik

TRIBE Member
I think we're safer in the 7.5 or so range.

What this guy is saying people who "function well" on 5 hours are like the people who smoked a pack a day and lived to 70+

Its not like they weren't doing damage.... both groups were likely to internalize narratives about how they're fine and be unable to perceive that damage.

praktik

TRIBE Member
ya im typically 6ish during the week

get closer to 8 on the weekends typically, but apnea can make that end ealier

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

agentRC4

TRIBE Member
7 hours and 13 minutes is ideal

You have to fall asleep before 11pm in order to optimize the effects of Stage 3/4 and get full REM.

Going to bed before 11pm changed my life for the better. Have a more restorative sleep, feel great in the morning too.

wickedken

TRIBE Member
Sleep is great. I know I've had enough when I had dreamt, can usually get awake fairly quick after that.

praktik

TRIBE Member
Ya and for some people its "have a job" and forget about it

and for most people with kids its both!! I figure the takeaway from this is NAP WHEN u CAN parents

until they get older

Lojack

TRIBE Member
It was quite common before electricity and lightbulbs (and is, in areas without) for folks to go to sleep at dusk and wake around midnight for an hour or two, eat, socialize whatever, and then sleep for 3-4 more hours. In a past life I read a lot of historical documents and that is one thing that struck me at the time.

Polymorph

TRIBE Member
It was quite common before electricity and lightbulbs (and is, in areas without) for folks to go to sleep at dusk and wake around midnight for an hour or two, eat, socialize whatever, and then sleep for 3-4 more hours. In a past life I read a lot of historical documents and that is one thing that struck me at the time.
I was also about to note this - lots of recent studies... and it's pretty much the way I sleep now. As in, I'll go to bed around 10/11 PM, and wake up around 2-3 AM - have a smoke, swill some orange juice, pee, maybe check my emails etc, then go back to bed and sleep well til 7-8 AM. I've also been having vivid, occasionally intense, dreams, which is good. (but man, are they weird sometimes).

Although I've also noticed, as in this past weekend, if I oversleep, as in, 10 hours, I'll feel like shit all day. It's almost exactly the same as undersleeping (for me, say 6 hours). I'm in drone mode.

But these studies on classical sleep habits is really interesting....

Bumbaclat

TRIBE Member
If you have kids forget about 8hrs of sleep...
Kids are asleep by 7:00 pm and up by 6:00 am (generally speaking, individual results may be +/-). You could get 11 hours of sleep if you wanted to but you don't, for the same reason that people without kids don't get 8 hours of sleep. It's more fun to be awake when you're not at work than to go to bed. That extra episode of Sons of Anarchy, that book you're reading, sex with your partner. Whatever it is, it's more fun that turning the lights off and going to sleep.

I've got two young kids and a demanding job. For medical reasons I was advised to get 8 hours of sleep for several months. It is incredibly easy to achieve this, you just need to prioritize it over the other awesome stuff going on in your house at 10:30 pm.

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
I wish my kid went down at 0700. Even with all the action at day care, outside play, no bed before 0730 and up by 0600.

We need an hour plus to decompress, and do our school work etc.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories