1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

People who eat others lunches

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by swenard, Apr 20, 2010.

1. swenard

swenard TRIBE Member

We have a thief in our office who keeps eating other peoples food in the fridge. We know it is one of our night shift workers, as it only goes missing after 5pm.

We want to catch this douchebag and fire them. Any suggestions on how to catch the thief? I was thinking of lacing the food with Ipecac and then finding out who vomited all night. Another guy wants to use exlax or something similiar but I think that Diarrhea can easily be hidden.

Besides a camera, what else can we do?

2. LeoGirl

LeoGirl TRIBE Member

stink bomb in the lunch box.

3. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

Not sure but your first two options there are lawsuit material.

4. Spinsah

Spinsah TRIBE Member

The answer to petty thef is always bodily assault causing harm.

5. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator TRIBE Member

We had this problem at a previous place of employment. We used a camera. Turned out it was one of the evening cleaning staff. He got canned immediately.
    Fucker stole my lunch leaving me hungry many many times! ARGGGG

6. Chris

Chris Well-Known TRIBEr

I would so snap if someone did this

7. Dirty Girl

Dirty Girl TRIBE Member

if this is happening overnight, then why is your lunch in the fridge. wouldnt you have already eaten it?
    i vote camera. its the safest and most fool proof option.

8. sk8

sk8 TRIBE Member

camera for sure. Or one of those dye packs like they put on stolen money.

9. swenard

swenard TRIBE Member

Sometimes we have lunch meetings and get fed food, therefore we leave our lunches in the fridge for the following day.

As for legal recourse, I am not worried. I will convince someone else to do and will therefore be guilt free.

Bodily harm is always alright in the case of petty theft :p.

10. swenard

swenard TRIBE Member

You know what really pisses me off. This person also goes into my office drawer and takes my snacks/condiment packages/oatmeal/etc.

11. Dirty Girl

Dirty Girl TRIBE Member

^ ok yeh, thats definately too far and cause for bodily harm

12. Spinsah

Spinsah TRIBE Member

You keep oatmeal in your desk? Is it beside your purse?

13. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

Is this a lunch that someone is saving for the next day? it seems to me that the lunch burglar probably thinks that since it is after 5pm, any lunch someone forgot to eat is fair game...

14. LeoGirl

LeoGirl TRIBE Member

alexd is the lunch burglar.

15. Dirty Girl

Dirty Girl TRIBE Member

^ thats what was really in the bag

16. alexd

Well you know, I would be reluctant to eat anyone's lunch because I am more of a brunch person, and I know that some people bring weird shit to lunch that I find completely unappetizing - stuff like salami and yogurt or tuna sandwiches.

17. LeoGirl

LeoGirl TRIBE Member

how about a 2L bottle of diet coke? :p

18. mingster

mingster TRIBE Member

how does one come to this conclusion?

food brought in from home does NOT become fair game after 5pm. it might still be good for the next day. or in the case of my office, it might be lunch supplies for an entire week.

however, once food starts to go sludgy, green and furry in the fridge, it's fair game for the garbage.

19. sk8

sk8 TRIBE Member

Lots of people here bring in supplies for the week too, big tubs of yogurt, bagels, big salad dressings, etc - definitely not fair game. Cuts down on packaging and saves time in the morning!

And taking stuff out of people's desks - well there's no grey area about that!

20. alexd

I did not consider that... I just pictured a squished tuna sandwich sitting on the fridge shelf and not a veritable horn of plenty containing bagels and salad dressings! If that's the case, fry the burglar IMO!

21. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

I didn't even bring lunch today and I'm pretty sure alexd still took it.

22. alexd

23. PAUZE

PAUZE TRIBE Promoter

Can't you do something with Mentos? Put a mentos in a diet pepsi and stay late in the office?

24. Jeffsus

Jeffsus TRIBE Member

I'd start with just putting a note on the fridge door. maybe the night person doesn't think anything's wrong with it. Also, while irritating, firing someone for eating "leftover" lunches seems a bit harsh.

-JM
    A&D

25. Dirty Girl

Dirty Girl TRIBE Member

^ i dont think so.
    not really much different than me putting $20 in my desk drawer and you coming in stealing it. Just cause its a public fridge doesnt make any difference, you should still be able to leave something out and not have it stolen.