1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

People who are easily influenced

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by catilyst, Aug 28, 2003.

1. catilyst

catilyst TRIBE Member

How wrong is it to take advantage of people who are already overworked, but you know if you ask them its in their nature to assist you? I'm talking strictly in a work environment.

I run a busy section of a company that is always swamped with work. When I started I was pretty cool with everyone, treating people like I'd like to get treated. But the last couple weeks have been truly hectic, and I 've found myself relying on certain types of people to do more than they're comfortable with. Some of this work is physical. There are a few people that because of their own weakness I'm able to get to stay late or work through their breaks, when they probably wouldn't.

Sometimes I say to myself "maybee this will teach them to be more honest and upfront with themselves and grow the balls to just say they can't do it"

But on the other hand maybee they're just so introverted that they will never really learn and will always be easily oppressed by others.

Through putting this into words and typing it, I have a feeling that I've already made up my mind what the case is, but if any one has anything they'd like to ad I'd be better off hearing more opinions.

thanks

2. man_slut

man_slut TRIBE Member

Make sure you reward them for their hard work...

3. skyparty

skyparty TRIBE Member

i AM one of those people...

and it drives me crazy, because i have a hard time saying NO.
    especially in the workplace, where if someone asks me to do something, i just do it- no questions asked...

honestly, until you just mentioned it-
    i never knew you COULD say no!

i'd be too afraid of getting looked down upon
    as being unwilling to be flexible and then they'd find someone else.

<--pushover

4. ian

ian TRIBE Member

Hey you two.

I'd like some money and sex right now.

What are you waiting for?

-ian g.

5. KiX

KiX TRIBE Member

u got balls to admit you're one of those dick managers that abuses the good nature of your employees to hundreds of ppl, that's forsure.

targetting "weak" people to do the dirty work, then justifying it by saying you're teaching them a lesson?? come on...

and making people work through breaks??? god i'm ready to slap you!

maybe you should be taking initiative to make sure your company hires enough people to get the job done, and ensure your workers are being treated fairly instead of making the same people suffer.

=tina=

6. ian

ian TRIBE Member

^^^^^

Yeah!

I sometime worry I push my staff too hard, but I kind of trust them to let me know. It's a difficult balance, especially when part of your job is to make sure they are working their hardest. I am very liberal with raises, time off and overtime though. . . so I hope it makes up for it!

-ian g.

7. catilyst

catilyst TRIBE Member

Tina you're right, people please don't hold back. At first the word target seemed harsh, but its true.

I don't mind being flamed for this, infact its refreshing, but I should have mentioned, like ian, they do get treated better than any other people in the company during slow periods. I turn a blind eye to a fair bit of stuff that you would n't get away with at other places.

8. junglisthead

junglisthead TRIBE Member

pity you for thinking that

perhaps, they are trying to help you out, and the team, by putting themselves out a bit, so the shit doesnt hit the roof later

too bad today's society forgets about what honesty,hard work and helping others, out is all about

instead its always about agendas, or some other mundane idea

so quit it with the crap, and realize that if it werent for them busting their balls, your shit would be a little bit higher than it is, and more pressure would be on YOU to get things resolved

reread this

and realize your lucky to have them around to rely on to begin with!! for it not for them, your day would be that much harder

WEAKNESS ?? please...it is a strength, someone who is reliable, who is willing to put out, to help out....that is not even close to a weakness...

instead of kidding yourself into thinking your teaching someone, perhaps its you that needs to learn something........

9. smile

smile TRIBE Member

^^^

speak!

10. diego

diego TRIBE Member

Mostly I would just be wondering what names they mutter under there breath about you at home OR at the WORKPLACE

11. smile

smile TRIBE Member

word

they probably hate his ass

nice one bud.

12. janiecakes

janiecakes TRIBE Member

amen.

13. AdRiaN

AdRiaN TRIBE Member

Be careful ... or else your employees might unionize!! ;)

14. Phat Buddha

Phat Buddha TRIBE Member

maybe his employees are surfing the tribe board right now :D

15. bucky

bucky TRIBE Member

haha.. just what i was going to post

16. skyparty

skyparty TRIBE Member

junglisthead, i've missed you around-

17. wayne bradbury

wayne bradbury TRIBE Member

This shit happens at my work too. I'm a nice guy who will do things to help out others even when it isnt my job. But lately I've been turning down everyone saying "sorry its not my job" and they are pissed at me for not helping them anymore. The reason I stopped helping is because I noticed my extra efforts aren't being recognized and its now expected when before it was supposed to be a "favour". I had to stop when I was being told to do shit instead of asked to do it.

18. catilyst

catilyst TRIBE Member

At least in my case their efforts don't go unnoticed. I stick up for them and in the end they certainly get treated better than the other employees. On Friday they were missing for awhile, I caught them smoking alittle something in the back. So I explained how foolish it was to do this on company property and said they could all get fired, then had some. I think in the end I acted like a better boss than most would have.

19. Liquidity

Liquidity TRIBE Member

business is business. you gotta come to grips with the fact that the nature of business is the bottom line...

unless you wanna eschew capitalism, don't let guilt get in the way of economic morality.

now, regarding one's personal life, that's a completely different matter...