• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Pentagon Channel

D-Rea

TRIBE Member
has anybody seen this? it's a 24 hour tv channel dedicated to those who serve in the armed forces

About the Pentagon Channel

The Pentagon Channel broadcasts military news and information for the 2.6 million members of the U.S. Armed Forces through programming including:

- Department of Defense news briefings
- Military news
- Interviews with top Defense officials
- Short stories about the work of our military

In addition to enhancing Department of Defense communications with the 1.4 million active duty service, the Pentagon Channel will provide the 1.2 million members of the National Guard and Reserve and the 650,000 civilian employees of the Department of Defense more timely access to military information and news.

The Pentagon Channel television service is distributed 24/7 and is available to all stateside cable and satellite providers; via American Forces Radio and Television Service, overseas; and via webcast worldwide right here at http://www.pentagonchannel.mil/ .

what an excellent way to penetrate the minds of americans with propaganda!! Can you say hidden agenda?

:rolleyes:

what will they come up with next?

AdRiaN

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by D-Rea
what an excellent way to penetrate the minds of americans with propaganda!! Can you say hidden agenda?
I would imagine any civilian who subscribes to the Pentagon Channel already has some pretty solid views on American foreign policy.

Vincent Vega

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by D-Rea

:rolleyes:

what will they come up with next?
LOL....what "hidden agenda" exactly? Since when has the promotion of power through military supremacy ever been hidden in the U.S.?

And how is providing pertinent news content to 2 million members of the armed forces (who already subscribe to those views anyway) "propaganda?"

Subsonic Chronic

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: Pentagon Channel

Originally posted by Vincent Vega
And how is providing pertinent news content to 2 million members of the armed forces (who already subscribe to those views anyway) "propaganda?"
It all depends on where the news is coming from.

If it's from the same guys who were certain that Saddam was hiding WMD's, well... I would take it all with a grain of salt.

Vincent Vega

TRIBE Member
^ oh absolutely. But you and I are probably not the target audience anyway so I don't really see much in the way of hidden agendas and/or propaganda at play.....

~atp~

TRIBE Member
Yes, I think propaganda was not used in the right context here. I can only guess at the content of this news channel (beyond what is stated in the initial post), but the popularization and distribution of ideas to the "already converted" will serve (a) to keep the idea popular and (b) as a conduit for generating new ideas to an already-converted crowd of, err, "believers". ;)

docta seuss

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: Pentagon Channel

Originally posted by AdRiaN
I would imagine any civilian who subscribes to the Pentagon Channel already has some pretty solid views on American foreign policy.
i imagine what you say is correct, but not i think in the way you meant it.

i would subscribe. there would no doubt be a wealth of knowledge between the lines, and if nothing else, no doubt the programming will be rather entertaining.
you'd run into trouble if folks used it as their first and only source for information on world issues/foreign policy/armed forces etc., but i think few will.

anyone with half a brain would take the channel with a truckload of salt.