• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Pearl killed by kidnappers

LoopeD

TRIBE Member
Taken from CNN.COM:

Sources: U.S. Journalist Daniel Pearl is dead

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Wall Street Journal reporter Daniel Pearl, who was kidnapped nearly a month ago on his way to interview a Muslim fundamentalist leader in Pakistan, is dead.

A senior U.S. administration source said law enforcement officials received a videotape in recent hours that gave them reason to believe the 38-year-old Pearl was dead. The source would not elaborate.

His abduction on January 23 prompted appeals from top U.S. and Pakistani officials for his release, and resulted in the arrests of several people believed to have been involved in the kidnapping, including the alleged ringleader Ahmed Omar Saeed Sheikh.

His wife, Mariane, is pregnant with their first child.

"We now believe, based on reports from the U.S. State Department and police officials of the Pakistani province of Sind, that Danny Pearl was killed by his captors. We are heartbroken at his death," said Peter R. Kann, publisher of The Wall Street Journal, and Paul E. Steiger, the paper's managing editor, said in a joint statement.

"Danny was an outstanding colleague, a great reporter, and a dear friend of many at the Journal."




:)d
 

Moez

TRIBE Member
this story made me think of Terry Anderson who had been kidnapped by Islamic Fundamentalists in 1985 and was held by them for seven years.
 

LoopeD

TRIBE Member
Good comparison, and not just Anderson was kidnapped. Lebanon's Islamic Fundamentalists took those hostages partly to blame the West for everything bad that had happened to them in the last 10 years. That and they wanted a shitload of money and media attention.







:)d
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
Perhaps if the United States would make exceptions to their "we don't negotiate with terrorism" policy then innocent lives would not be lost.

It sickens me to see a nation let a man die...they should have done everything in their power to ensure that Mr. Pearl didn't meet an untimely demise. There's something to be said about compassion, especially when faced by fundamentalists who are only going to become more radicalized after this inaction from the United States.

Next time it might be ten journalists...maybe twenty! What will it take for the U.S to take off their fucking blinders and realize that their foreign policy is breeding death and suffering?

R.I.P. :(
 

Sporty Dan

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Spinsah
Perhaps if the United States would make exceptions to their "we don't negotiate with terrorism" policy then innocent lives would not be lost.
...... uh.... that would just lead to everyone with a gripe against anything in the US to just start taking hostages.
......that would not help anything.....

........and I would like to point out that innocent lives would also not be lost if people would not take journalists hostage.

.....And talk about idiots.... probably the only people in the world that would help these groups get their message to the world is the media. And now they saw fit to kill one of them.....


dan.
 
G

Guest

Guest
I saw this coming and I don't know how the U.S didn't, or maybe they did.
 

Subsonic Chronic

TRIBE Member
So tragic... his daughter will have never even known him.

And although I don't think that giving in to the demands would keep future kidnappings from happening, I still believe that this incident is an indirect result of U.S. foreign policy.

There's obviously a whole lot more anti-U.S. sentiment abroad than we would like to believe and especially since Sept 11th, many parts of the world are downright dangerous for Americans to be in.

Pete
 

TILT_Lance

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Subsonic Chronic
So tragic... his daughter will have never even known him.

And although I don't think that giving in to the demands would keep future kidnappings from happening, I still believe that this incident is an indirect result of U.S. foreign policy.

There's obviously a whole lot more anti-U.S. sentiment abroad than we would like to believe and especially since Sept 11th, many parts of the world are downright dangerous for Americans to be in.

Pete

that is exactly it right there
 
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories
G

Guest

Guest
Originally posted by Subsonic Chronic
So tragic... his daughter will have never even known him.

And although I don't think that giving in to the demands would keep future kidnappings from happening, I still believe that this incident is an indirect result of U.S. foreign policy.

There's obviously a whole lot more anti-U.S. sentiment abroad than we would like to believe and especially since Sept 11th, many parts of the world are downright dangerous for Americans to be in.

word

I still think that rather than simply declaring a "war" on terrorism they need to take a serious look at why it is that so many people hate them. Maybe if they could do something to change peoples opinions then they won't have to be so worried about another attack, and more importantly no more innocent american lives will be lost.
 

TILT_Lance

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by ~dazed~



word

I still think that rather than simply declaring a "war" on terrorism they need to take a serious look at why it is that so many people hate them. Maybe if they could do something to change peoples opinions then they won't have to be so worried about another attack, and more importantly no more innocent american lives will be lost.
it goes a little further than just a pure hatred towards the US, they are lashing out against all of the west, catholics, and the jews, its just it happens to the US more because of press coverage of the whole issue.....if canada was the "super power" that the US is it would all be happening to us
 

Subsonic Chronic

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by ~dazed~
I still think that rather than simply declaring a "war" on terrorism they need to take a serious look at why it is that so many people hate them.
Exactly. The current "War on Terrorism" is fighting the symptoms of terrorism and not the root causes. Instead of trying to defuse terrorism before it begins, they're creating an even more hostile environment through military force and repression.

As long as people around the world are suffering as a result of U.S. foreign policy, there will be people who want to destroy or harm the U.S. and its interests. No amount of police or military force can keep these sentiments at bay indefinitely, no matter how many billions of dollars are poured into it. The notion that terrorism can be destroyed through force is short-sighted and totally backwards. The 'War on Terrorism' as it is, stands to create future terrorists instead of wiping them all out as we are being led to believe.

Pete
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

LoopeD

TRIBE Member
Its real easy to blame all of your troubles on another country, rather than yourselves. When we have a problem with something in North America, most of us don't set bombs, kidnap people and slaughter innocents to get our point across.

Much violence in the world has nothing to do with the U.S. foreign policy, its My God Is Better Than Your God and My Bible Told Me To Kill All Unbelievers. In other words, lame excuses to commit meaningless violence.

Too many people in too many countries are still stuck in the Dark Ages, and that isn't going to change any time soon.

RIP Daniel Pearl, and I hope his killers are brought to justice. There are better ways of getting your grievances addressed than senseless killing; the more these acts of terrorism occur, the more their entire arguments look like the ravings of lunatics.






:)d
 

LoopeD

TRIBE Member
A point:

As Sporty Dan pointed out, America cannot afford to negotiate with terrorists due to the obvious fact that people will resort to kidnap again to get what they want.

In the same light, America also cannot respond to acts of terrorism by directly addressing the grievances of the terrorists, because that would show that terrorism actually works to solve your problems.







:)d
 

graham

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by Subsonic Chronic


Exactly. The current "War on Terrorism" is fighting the symptoms of terrorism and not the root causes. Instead of trying to defuse terrorism before it begins, they're creating an even more hostile environment through military force and repression.

As long as people around the world are suffering as a result of U.S. foreign policy, there will be people who want to destroy or harm the U.S. and its interests. No amount of police or military force can keep these sentiments at bay indefinitely, no matter how many billions of dollars are poured into it. The notion that terrorism can be destroyed through force is short-sighted and totally backwards. The 'War on Terrorism' as it is, stands to create future terrorists instead of wiping them all out as we are being led to believe.

Pete
Pete, you can say what you want about US foreign policy, but this was the act of horrible INDIVIDUALS murdering a person. It's appalling, and to even attempt to rationalize it within the context of the "evils of America," gives it and them too much intellectual credit, sits way too far on the side of justification, and is totally offensive.
 

graham

Well-Known TRIBEr
these people cut his throat with a sharp tool, his last words a declaration of his religion. There is no way they should even come close to rating any sort of political discussion, they're so far beneath it.
 

Booty Bits

TRIBE Member
it frightened me to hear that one of the men from the National Movement for the Restoration of Pakistani Sovereignty said that Pearl was murdered because he was a Jew working against Islam.
 
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories
Top