• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Pearl. Jam.

mariazmess

TRIBE Member
THERE WERE LASERS!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hehe.
i don't own the new album yet. they played the new stuff in the beginning -- a lot of it was really good... i need to listen to it again.

there was something weird about the sound. there wasn't enough base (and i'm not just saying that cuz i spend my life infront of a speaker) - Pearl Jam should sound down and dirty. it sounded too tinny and not deep enough. i couldn't feel the base at all.

well, it is the first date of their tour.
they played my favourite, Present Tense, the obligatory marijuana cigarette moment... :) THERE WAS LASERS. mmm lasers. lots and lots of green lasers. Pearl Jam makes me so happy.

No, actually, Mike McCready makes me happy. That man is the happiest little guitar player in the world. He rocks AND he rolls and then he rocks some more. What a talented band. These guys have craft - both in their showmanship (Ed just gets drunk at every show now I think) and in their execution. flawless.

Eddie Vedder is so cute in his little pants with his little poses and his big bushy hair... oh Eddie. The voice is still there. He seemed a little cautious tonight with the voice... he has such a great voice. Stone Gossard is my rock'n'roll hero with his hot little glasses and his debonaire good looks. what a HOT band. mmmmm Jeff AMENT!!!! BESTILLMYHEART. I love a man who can pluck a baseline. especially if he looks like Jeff Ament. Matt Cameron's got skills - those drums got nothin -- too bad about the sound though... it sounded like he was all top-heavy with too much cymbal action... couldn't hear the lows! boo!

the guys around me were pretty tame. um, guys? this is um, a concert. can you put your cellphones away and um, enjoy... the show? people were weirding me out with all their "standing around" crap. it got going more in the second part of the show.

it was Mike McCready's wedding anniversary. happy anniversary Mike.
rock and roll forevah!!

they closed with the rockin in the free world thing.
i feel bad that i don't know the lyrics to that song. i'm going to go buy that Neil Young album tomorrow i think.

i get to see Pearl Jam again tomorrow with birthday boy extraordinaire... ADOPTED is turning 17 tomorrow! Happy birthday Adopted!
:O :rolleyes:
you didn't leave a message at least i coulda learned your voice one last time

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

Big League Chu

TRIBE Member
DATE CITY STATE/COUNTRY VENUE DOWNLOAD?
Good Show last night, had a real 70's rock and roll feel. some simple lasers and just the stage. No screens or anything too crazy, just a simple rock concert. Kinda looked like the Zeppelin tours for the 70's.

Set 1 Severed Hand, World Wide Suicide, Life Wasted, Marker In The Sand, Given To Fly, Better Man, Even Flow, Unemployable, Garden, Sad, Corduroy, Present Tense, Daughter, Grievance, Not For You, Inside Job, Why Go

Encore 1 Do The Evolution, Jeremy, Come Back, Alive

Encore 2 Porch, Rockin' In The Free World, Yellow Ledbetter

Re: Shoe

TRIBE Member
mariazmess said:
there was something weird about the sound.
I agree, the sound quality wasn't perfect, but I wouldn't have said it was too tinny. Rather, there was too much in the midrange and it ended up sounding muddled. The vocals were muddled in too much at the beginning, but once Eddie's voice warmed up then it sounded a lot better.

I was happy to deal with the sound quality imperfections though, because the band played superbly. In time, in tune ... it was straight up rock - awesome.

I admit it's been a while since my last stadium rock concert, but since when do people just stand around the whole time holding their cell phones? No moshing? No girls on their boyfriends' shoulders, flashing the stage? No security guards chasing people who try to sneak onto the floor? I only saw a single projectile (empty beer cup, pfft) being launched from the upper balcony.

All in all though, definitely a great show.

mariazmess

TRIBE Member
groovespinna said:
technics1200 duly noted.
i hate when words are spelled the same.
like bass:
State%20Record%20Striped%20Bass%20and%20Angler.jpg

and bass:
jefflg.jpg

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

mitsuko souma

TRIBE Member
Holding it down in the box seats with ~atp, Jess and Steve.
Personal highlight was a blistering version of Why Go.
Keith, thanks again for the ticket!!

Maui

TRIBE Member
No time for a real review, but last night was sweet. I thought it was just the section I was in that had bad sound cause I was behind the stage. Great place to be though, people were going nuts back there! I am simply amazed at how many young people were out. I thought they were just hoodlums cause they were so wild, but they sang along to every single song. That is a sign folks.

Gotta get ready for tonight. Seriously, I recommend heading down if you are a fan of music period. Tix were going for $10 from scalpers.

~atp~

TRIBE Member
mitsuko souma said:
Holding it down in the box seats with ~atp, Jess and Steve.
Personal highlight was a blistering version of Why Go.
Keith, thanks again for the ticket!!

Word up Jess! :)

It was definitely a rocking night; I was sitting and standing throughout the event, completely absorbed in the sound ... I loved that second track they played, though I forget the name of it. They played extensively from Ten, which was nostalgic, and I had a great time with the circus of people around me. ;)

praktik

TRIBE Member
mariazmess said:
i feel bad that i don't know the lyrics to that song. i'm going to go buy that Neil Young album tomorrow i think.

i get to see Pearl Jam again tomorrow with birthday boy extraordinaire... ADOPTED is turning 17 tomorrow! Happy birthday Adopted!
:O :rolleyes:
you didn't leave a message at least i coulda learned your voice one last time

Great Neil album! Was listening to it today...:)

And it's awesome that nobody's even questioned Adopted's fake ID yet - two more years and you're LEGIT buddy!! :cool:

mariazmess

TRIBE Member
2 nights... night 2:

^^^^^lol^^^^^
we went out for Swiss Chalet before the show. it felt like a total highschool date - it was awesome. we both had quarter chicken dinners and he finished my fries.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ADOPTED.

it was also, apparently, the birthday of the drummer from Alice in Chains - we were all instructed to yell out, on three, Happy Birthday Shawn.

This show was better. Although remind me never to bother seeing a rock show at the ACC - the sound is a big meh and i was getting pissed off that I could see Jeff Ament going NUTS on his bass and NO SOUND WAS COMING TO MY EARS.

WHERE THE FUCK IS THE BASS?? -- i was getting angry. and you don't wanna see me angry.

SET LIST from last night:
Set 1
Release, World Wide Suicide, Life Wasted, Severed Hand, Hail Hail, Unemployable, Dissident, Even Flow, Corduroy, I Am Mine, Low Light, Whipping, You Are, I Got Id/(Cinnamon Girl), Better Man/(Save it for Later), Jeremy, Marker In The Sand, Black, Rearviewmirror

Encore 1
Wasted Reprise/Man Of The Hour, Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town, State Of Love And Trust, Do The Evolution, Alive

Encore 2
Go, Crazy Mary, Fuckin' Up, Indifference, Yellow Ledbetter

First, they didn't start with 4 new songs, they started with Release.
"I'll ride the wave where it takes me..." the crowd got into it faster -- although it was a better crowd to begin with. a big gang from the back managed to start the wave just before the show started - weeeeeee!!!

This crowd also seemed to know the new album better. Singing along and the like. More of the rocking out.

Hail, Hail is one of my faves - I love No Code, can't help it. It was my first Pearl Jam album (Ten was too "mainstream" for me, never got into it in highschool...).

And then boom - Dissident... Even Flow... Corduroy... LOW LIGHT WAS SO PRETTY... i love that song.

Of course Black is always nice to hear too -- REARVIEWMIRROR makes me wanna jump up and down and plow into shit.

it was just a better setlist. look at that first Encore - amazing. well shit - the second one was just as wicked. "drink the bottle, drink it down... pass it around..."

the guys behind me were so rock'n'roll, saying stuff like, "that's a great tune" and "how much dope we got left" (apparently they had 5 joints, but they needed one for the ride home.)

Anyway, now I'm just PearlJampooped! What's the keyboardists name? Boom? Boog? It sounds like BOO, anyway, which is fine, although probably slightly disconcerning to a fan who doesn't understand why everyone's yelling BOO. WICKED CRAZY DUEL between Mike & Mr. Crazy Keyboard man. They were givin'er.

Eddie was drinking again. Oh Eddie.
"Why do I keep fuckin' up..." -- eddie: "this is President Bush's favourite song."

ROCK AND ROLL.

Have a good tour Pearl Jam! Thanks for stoppin by!!
"our tour started last night, but it really feels like tonight is the start of our tour. thank you for being a part of this."

Suite 909

TRIBE Member
mariazmess said:
SET LIST from last night:
Set 1
Release, World Wide Suicide, Life Wasted, Severed Hand, Hail Hail, Unemployable, Dissident, Even Flow, Corduroy, I Am Mine, Low Light, Whipping, You Are, I Got Id/(Cinnamon Girl), Better Man/(Save it for Later), Jeremy, Marker In The Sand, Black, Rearviewmirror

Encore 1
Wasted Reprise/Man Of The Hour, Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town, State Of Love And Trust, Do The Evolution, Alive

Encore 2
Go, Crazy Mary, Fuckin' Up, Indifference, Yellow Ledbetter

Ahhhhh - i much prefer the set on the 2nd night - Black, Indifference, State of Love and Trust, Crazy mary - cool cool...

bushka

TRIBE Member
mariazmess said:
Anyway, now I'm just PearlJampooped! What's the keyboardists name? Boom? Boog? It sounds like BOO, anyway, which is fine, although probably slightly disconcerning to a fan who doesn't understand why everyone's yelling BOO.

lol, the first time I saw PJ I was very confused and angry when people started yelling (what sounded like) "BOOOO". :D

The show last night was amazing, although I liked the one I went to last year better, simply for the fact that I knew more songs (as they played songs from their new album this time and I don't have it yet). But there was still plenty of favorites so I can't complain. Generally the crowd was really into it, which was great to see, a few people who looked liked they wanted to be elsewhere but you will always have that in a huge crowd like this. It seemed that Eddie was drunk before he even got on stage!

I had a great time.

mariazmess

TRIBE Member
i love Pearl Jam cuz they really take care of their fans. fanclub tickets are always awesome and they make it so easy... and their website is one of the best i've ever seen.

last night would've been perfect had they done Present Tense, but they did it on the first night... can't complain i guess...

Do you see the way that tree bends?
Does it inspire...
Leaning out to catch the sun’s rays...
A lesson to be applied...

you can
spend your time alone
redigesting past regrets... oh!
you can
come to terms and realize
you're the only one who cannot forgive yourself... oh!
makes much more sense... to live in the present tense.

Have you ideas on how this life ends?
Checked your hand and studied the lines...
Have you the belief that the road ahead
Ascends off into the light?
Seems that needlessly it’s getting harder (he’s changed this lyric and i’m not sure how he sings it anymore – something like, "for some it seems it’s getting harder...")
To find an approach and a way to live...
Are we getting something out of this
All encompassing trip...

OurHouse

TRIBE Member
OK - All I have to say is Eddy LOVES the booze! That guy got so fucking trashed that he fell off the speaker he was trying to nap on and forgot to sing the last half of his own song. Sound was SHIT - come on folks - let's be honest. The only time they REALLY connected with the audience was their second encore. The concert barometer is the first ten rows - and if every head isn't bouncing, something is amiss. Glad I didn't pay for my ticket.

Suite 909

TRIBE Member
OurHouse said:
OK - All I have to say is Eddy LOVES the booze! That guy got so fucking trashed that he fell off the speaker he was trying to nap on and forgot to sing the last half of his own song. Sound was SHIT - come on folks - let's be honest. The only time they REALLY connected with the audience was their second encore. The concert barometer is the first ten rows - and if every head isn't bouncing, something is amiss. Glad I didn't pay for my ticket.

connect with the crowd?? The music alone connects with me. Obviously you're not a PJ fan.

OurHouse

TRIBE Member
Suite 909 said:
connect with the crowd?? The music alone connects with me. Obviously you're not a PJ fan.

Don't take it personally - but did you look around? Were you at the show? The place wasn't exactly "off the hook" - in fact it hardly seemed like anyone REALLY gave a shit if they came back for an encore. That - to me - equals a missing link when you're seeing a great band like Pearl Jam.

Adopted

TRIBE Member
i like pearl jam! hummmmmyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

is it just me, or does everyone else have trouble grooving to rock concerts without busting out a few techno moves?

thanks for the ticket maria... !!! i am getting old!

mariazmess

TRIBE Member
OurHouse said:
Don't take it personally - but did you look around? Were you at the show? The place wasn't exactly "off the hook" - in fact it hardly seemed like anyone REALLY gave a shit if they came back for an encore. That - to me - equals a missing link when you're seeing a great band like Pearl Jam.
there's a difference between not caring and knowing they were coming back. when the lights don't go up and most people there know that the show's not over... I'm saving my voice for when they're just about to come back on.

the sound was SHIT. i'll give you that.
Toronto crowds always suck. Doesn't matter who you're seeing.

Suite 909

TRIBE Member
OurHouse said:

yes i was there. personally i would rather sit down with a beer and watch the show. I'm not sure where you were sitting, but all around me people were going ape shit for the encore - stomping their feet and cheering, which seems silly to me - like pearl jam is going to just pack it in if people dont cheer or something...

Maui

TRIBE Member
Nice reviews Maria, I agree with pretty much everything you said. :)
No Code is also my favourite PJ album and one of my favourite albums of all time. And yes Present Tense was awesome to hear. I lost it when they played elderly woman on night 2 also.

Two very unique concerts. Night one was more subdued and deep.
I ended up selling my member seats to a guy who is involved behind the scenes at tribe. Hope you enjoyed the show. :) I just could'nt leave though, so I held it out and got scalper tix. Very cool to hang out behind the scenes and see the concert from a different perspective. At one point I sat down and thought, hey this is pretty sweet when I can bike 10 minutes, pay $20, light a bowl, and watch Pearl Jam rock away below me. Beats a night at the Paramount :D Thanks to the guys who shared the oil doobie. wts, I haven't had oil in years! The sing song back and forth gave me the chills.

Night two was all about rockin out. It was no Kitchener, but most people are agreed that we just witnessed something special. That is by far the best crowd interaction I've seen from a Toronto crowd. I think OurHouse is not familiar with PJ's show's and therefore can't guage whether it was a strong or weak crowd reaction. But I do agree with the crowd being lame during the encore breaks. Do people think they are entitled to an encore? Do they think the band is down there going "hey I can't hear a thing, and the energy is pulling me to go back and rock out even though I just played 2 hours". I actually think its ghetto when a band does more than one encore even when the fans are being llama's. But in this case they were excused because of the night up till then.

Night 2 I had the best seats I've ever had at a concert and I had the most fun I've ever had at an arena concert also. Such a great vibe as evidenced by the crowd doing the wave prior to the show.
Despite being so close, I brought binoculars and checked out the band up close a couple times. I happend to have them trained on mike and Jeff when Mike tried to bite Jeff's nipple, haha. I don't know if anyone else noticed that, but it was funny to see up close.
The only thing that bothered me was the security guard standing right in front of me staring towards me all night. The night before was great as there was no one around and it was dark.
The new album sounds better every time I hear it. I had listened to it 3 times prior to night 1 and by night 2 the songs really clicked. I'm so happy to have some good new music to listen to.

I'm just listening to the first show right now. I opted for the flac files and OMG the quality is crazy Awesome! The album is taking up about 1 gig hehe. I can't wait to hear night 2!

I was amazed he didn't say anything too political. He did say something about Mexican's leaving the U.S. to go back home which is pretty crazy.

mariazmess

TRIBE Member
Maui said:
I was amazed he didn't say anything too political. He did say something about Mexican's leaving the U.S. to go back home which is pretty crazy.
i was surprised too - he said that just before he sang Unemployable on the first night - he said, "Mexicans are going back to their country to get all the best American jobs."