1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Pay it Forward

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by Zorro, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Zorro

Zorro TRIBE Member

So last night while flipping through "62 channels of shit on the TV to choose from" I came across Rogers 10. The host was talking to some guy who sets up these Pay it forward events, Like the one they had been discussing about at the Second cup at John and Queen. They had 300 people in line who go and buy a coffee for the person behind them.

My question is doesn't this defeat the purpose?
    This isn't really paying it forward is it? I mean your buying the person behind you a coffee but the person ahead of you just bought you one.

My Cousin just a few weeks ago was at a starbucks drive through and the person (a complete stranger) ahead of her paid for your coffee. That's paying it forward not some stupid set up thing just for some attention.

right?

2. The Watcher

The Watcher TRIBE Member

It's only paying it forward if you're doing it for karma, not for something in return

3. Flashy_McFlash

Flashy_McFlash Well-Known TRIBEr

Well are the 300 people planted by the PiF people?

Who cares anyway, that movie ate the fattest dick. Haley Joel Osmont my Haley Joel Ass.

4. Caz

Caz TRIBE Member

People attempting to utilize a karmic principle by patronizing a karmic disaster. Nice.

5. skin deep

skin deep TRIBE Member

Greatest movie ever!

6. Syntax Error

Syntax Error Well-Known TRIBEr

karma can only be dealt out by the cosmos. nothing you do will change that. fuck belgium.

7. litespeed

litespeed Well-Known TRIBEr

i'm going to pay it forward and stab some annoying kid

8. Subsonic Chronic

Subsonic Chronic TRIBE Member

ugh... karma.

My problem is that a lot of people seem to hold this idea about karma that you get it back at some point in your life (or afterlife), so your motivation for doing good deeds is still some form of personal profit, ie: that every nice thing you do will somehow be returned to you.

Why can't people do nice things just for the sake of doing nice things?

9. The Watcher

The Watcher TRIBE Member

I hear ya Pete

The karma itself is supposed to be the reward.

It's hard to be altruistic in a capitalist society when it seems like everything and everyone is trying to take anything you have.

10. Rajio

Rajio Well-Known TRIBEr

my grammar machine is broken today. WTF does 'pay it forward' mean? Like paying your bill while facing the person?

edit: is it like the opposite of payback?

11. Lysistrata

Lysistrata Well-Known TRIBEr

because altruism in a nice fancy concept that we made up to make ourselves feel better about our self-interest?

also poo on the flawed and simplistic notions of karma that abound in the world. karma is the entire chain of cause and effect in the world not just "be nice to people nad they'll be nice to you." in fact, in order to attain nirvana, you' need to get out of kamra entirely, even the good stuff.

12. Flashy_McFlash

They should've called this movie 'Pay It Deformed'

13. Michlerish

Michlerish Well-Known TRIBEr

I never associated "pay it forward" concept with "karma". Just thought that if everyone did something nice for a few people, the world would be a better place.

14. Rajio

Rajio Well-Known TRIBEr

you're so selfish. you just want your world to be better. can't you be selfless?

15. Syntax Error

Syntax Error Well-Known TRIBEr

altruism = narcissism

i only donate to charity because it looks good on my tax return and i get to tell people that i did something nice.

16. NemIsis

NemIsis TRIBE Member

For me, that would be 'pay back'.

17. Flashy_McFlash

Hey why hasn't Helen Hunt gotten any work lately?

18. workdowntown

workdowntown TRIBE Member

Her face is putrid. Nobody wants to see it?

19. workdowntown

Ayn Rand approves of your post.

20. Flashy_McFlash

She won an Oscar though! After you win, you're allowed to let your looks go to shit.

I mean, people are still casting Judi Dench.

21. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

Not if you are the owner of the Second Cup. That is 300 cups of coffee purchased by people who normally wouldn't have been there.

That would be paying it backward!

22. workdowntown

Judi is 74, Helen is 45...

[​IMG]

:)

23. Flashy_McFlash

Yeah but Judi gets roles as the wizened older woman. That's cool. Helen Hunt should at least be able to get the role of, I dunno, Miley Cyrus's mom.

She was kinda hot in Twister. But almost anyone's hot next to a tornado.

24. NemIsis

NemIsis TRIBE Member

I dated a guy last year who told me I was as cute as Helen Hunt :(
    *tear*

25. BAd Luck

BAd Luck TRIBE Member

The only time I ever "paid it forward"
    didn't work out so shit hot. I had smashed my nose in sharp granular snow while
    snowboarding, didn't realize that my face wasn't "wet" from melting snow. The
    granular snow cut the top of my nose to shreds and I was a bloody mess. I had no idea.
    I lived near bathurst and lawrence then. Wanted to "quickly" grab some clamato for
    post ride vodka's. The 'sorry to offend' Jewish women in front of me in line with 36 coupons
    was still arguing with the cashier over a 30cent difference on the final bill.
    I put a ten spot on the table...and just said "I will pay you $10 dollars to get out of my way! I don't have time for this".
    Results may vary...
    I got my clamato.
    got looked at funny.
    Looked in a mirror once home.