• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Patient trapped in a 23-year 'coma' was conscious all along

Baters

TRIBE Member
this is fucked up! it made me think of Metallica's 'One'!!!!

A man thought by doctors to be in a vegetative state for 23 years was actually conscious the whole time, it was revealed last night.

Student Rom Houben was misdiagnosed after a car crash left him totally paralysed.

He had no way of letting experts, family or friends know he could hear every word they said.

Read more: Patient trapped in a 23-year 'coma' was conscious all along | Mail Online

Zorro

TRIBE Member
You know what makes this rather creepy for me is that from time to time I suffer from sleep paralysis.
I actually wake up but I can't move, my eyes wont open. I have learned to breathe very heavily so the wife can will wake up then shake/nudge me out of it.

I have to say as often as it happens(6-10 times a year) it is still something I can't get use to and is scary every time it happens. Mostly because I just plan can't move.

It is also creepy because even though my eyes aren't open I am very very aware of my surroundings. Errrr, I'm now already hoping it doesn't happen tonight now.

xtcfreak

TRIBE Member
You know what makes this rather creepy for me is that from time to time I suffer from sleep paralysis.
I actually wake up but I can't move, my eyes wont open. I have learned to breathe very heavily so the wife can will wake up then shake/nudge me out of it.

I have to say as often as it happens(6-10 times a year) it is still something I can't get use to and is scary every time it happens. Mostly because I just plan can't move.

It is also creepy because even though my eyes aren't open I am very very aware of my surroundings. Errrr, I'm now already hoping it doesn't happen tonight now.
This happens to me when I smoke too much of the funny stuff.

Jay

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Sal De Ban

TRIBE Member
lol @ solacevip

also sleep paralysis is scary. it happens during afternoon naps more than night-sleeping (fuck you i take naps lol)

Tahoe

TRIBE Member
Holy crap, this totally explains the episode I had one day at work years ago. I was slacking off pretty hard and decided to take a nap in the washroom. When I woke up I couldn't move for about 5 minutes. It scared the crap out of me but hasn't happened since.

I don't even want to imagine it happening frequently.

Zorro, that's quite unfortunate but atleast you've found a way to deal with it.

Persephone

TRIBE Member

This happens to me, although not as regularly as for you. it happened more frequently when I was a child. Funny thing is, the only way I could wake myself up was to change my breathing pattern.

huh.

kaniz

TRIBE Member

I haven't had Sleep Paralysis happen to me in awhile - first few times it terrified me though. I remember laying in bed trying so hard to scream but not being able to move/breath/etc. Felt like there was some 'sinister' presence in the room also. I wonder how many 'hauntings' can be attributed to a night terror?

A few years ago I used to get them semi-frequently, I started to have 'fun' with them and it'd turn into this weird semi-lucid dream-state. I'd do things like "Try and get to the bathroom", and it'd feel like I was walking through really thick jello - it'd be like walking there in slow motion, then I'd snap back into my body and be laying face-down in bed not even able to move at all.

Easiest way to get out of it is to focus on moving a small body part like your big-toe - eventually the rest falls into line.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

lobo

TRIBE Member
Fucked up man.

Nip/Tuck actually had an episode one time where the chick getting a procedure wasn't fully under and she was "awake" during the whole procedure and could feel every single scalpel cut but not utter a single word. Instead she screamed in her mind.

Lobo

Tahoe

TRIBE Member
Fucked up man.

Nip/Tuck actually had an episode one time where the chick getting a procedure wasn't fully under and she was "awake" during the whole procedure and could feel every single scalpel cut but not utter a single word. Instead she screamed in her mind.

Lobo
This used to happen in real life. A bunch of people reported being able to feel everything during their surgery so these days when they put you under they hook you up to a heart monitor.

swenard

TRIBE Member
It's not like this guy's life would have been any different. He still would have been stuck doing nothing for 23 years, lol.

Dialog

TRIBE Member
Christ a board full of Tarantino fanboi/sycophants and I'm the first to invoke The Bride?

Question: was the Pussy Wagon parked outside the hospital?

Baters

TRIBE Member
I haven't had Sleep Paralysis happen to me in awhile - first few times it terrified me though. I remember laying in bed trying so hard to scream but not being able to move/breath/etc. Felt like there was some 'sinister' presence in the room also. I wonder how many 'hauntings' can be attributed to a night terror?

A few years ago I used to get them semi-frequently, I started to have 'fun' with them and it'd turn into this weird semi-lucid dream-state. I'd do things like "Try and get to the bathroom", and it'd feel like I was walking through really thick jello - it'd be like walking there in slow motion, then I'd snap back into my body and be laying face-down in bed not even able to move at all.

Easiest way to get out of it is to focus on moving a small body part like your big-toe - eventually the rest falls into line.
a guy i went to high school with swore he was a victim of multiple alien abductions and described similar experience (re: not moving and sinister presence)

Persephone

TRIBE Member
^ strange. When this happens to me, I'm very aware of the fact that the sinister presence is in my dreams, and that all I need to do to escape is to wake up. Of course, that's easier said than done.

mingster

TRIBE Member
This used to happen in real life. A bunch of people reported being able to feel everything during their surgery so these days when they put you under they hook you up to a heart monitor.
le fuck. that is scary.

right up there with my current fear, baby delivery without drugs. AHHHHHH!

kaniz

TRIBE Member
What is scary with sleep paralysis, is not that "you are having a scary dream and need to wake up", it's that you are awake / think you are awake and no longer dreaming/sleeping - but combined with the inability to move.

Most of the times it's happened to me, I was not having a nightmare before hand. The first time I recall it happening, I was having a dream that I was at club and leaving the building to find an ATM.

Something then woke me up - woke up in bed staring at the ceiling. I thought I could hear someone down the hall so I tried to move my head to see better. Realized that I couldn't move my head - or any muscles at all, then I tried to call out to say "Hello", and I couldn't talk - breathing felt very heavy/impossible to do. Then panic mode starts to kick in - awake, cant move, cant breath, cant talk/yell. Having an anxiety attack when you feel physically paralyzed is not a pleasant thing.

Of all the times I've had it happen, I think I was only having a nightmare/scary dream once prior to waking up. Most other times the dreams were unmemorable, or not nightmares.

AdRiaN

TRIBE Member
Doctors in Zolder, Belgium, used the internationally accepted Glasgow Coma Scale to assess his eye, verbal and motor responses. But each time he was graded incorrectly.
I would never trust a coma scale developed in Glasgow.