• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Pat Quinn : Fired

*SiLver*RoBoT*

TRIBE Member
Sportsnet.ca -- According to Sportsnet sources, the Toronto Maple Leafs have fired head coach Pat Quinn and assistant coach Rick Ley.

The firing comes on the heels of several published stories how a power struggle between GM John Ferguson and Quinn was ongoing at MLSE.

*over*and*out*

*SiLver*RoBoT*

D1Willow

TRIBE Member
so JF2 wins the power struggle on coaching. If only he was allowed to be GM. taunenbaum, peddie, and the teachers will be hard to displace as rulers of Laugh nation.

*SiLver*RoBoT*

TRIBE Member
I think he should've had at least a chance to prove himself with a young roster. Maurice will probably be the one to takeover.

*over*and*out*

*SiLver*RoBoT*

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

TaCk OnE?

TRIBE Member
I don't think this is going to solve much.

we need players who show up, each and every game.

that may have something to do with new leadership, but I think it has more to do with people who suck less.

kyfe

TRIBE Member
I heard quinn might be heading back to Vancouver in a large capacity

I think maurice will make a good coach if he gets the nod, alot of the Marlie players that came up this season praised his handling of the team and seem to have alot of respect for the guy

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

SneakyPete

TRIBE Member
kyfe said:

I can't think of a better fit for him than Vancouver. With him coaching the team I see them as a Cup contender right away.

AVE

TRIBE Member
and for the record, i liked Quinn, but the time has come. It may not change much, but you cant leave things as they are.

maurice could be interesting

Eclipze

TRIBE Member
Ted Nolan for the Marlies?

It's time the Leafs made some changes. Hopefully this is the first of many steps in the right direction.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

futronic

TRIBE Member
kyfe said:

I think maurice will make a good coach if he gets the nod, alot of the Marlie players that came up this season praised his handling of the team and seem to have alot of respect for the guy
Yup, my first thought was back to Vancouver for Quinn. I think Crawford will be the next casualty, and if their GM also gets fired, he might get his old dual role back.

-- Jay aka Fut

kuba

TRIBE Member
Listening to the conference call was awesome. Steve Simmons killed JFJr repeatedly, as did most of the other reporters. JFJr didn't have a leg to stand on.

However, I will say this: when he signed allison, lindros, and o'neill, it was a risk. Lindros went out 33 games in in a fluke injury, at best, and karma at worst. No one foresaw him tearing his ligament. Allison put up almost a point a game, and did what he was asked to. Sure, he's slow, but not everyone is Brad Richards. O'Neill could have resurrected his career with Toronto, he had a chance, but after losing his brother, I guess his heart wasn't in it. As fans, we don't know what was going through his head this season, thinking about no longer seeing someone he grew up with. We can't/don't play with that pain, because it affects us all differently. The risks were worth it, and almost paid off at the beginning, when the trio had more points than who we gave up (roberts, neiuwy, and almo- who isn't in the league anymore). Roberts and Joe tore it up towards the end, but they are/were one hit away from a season-ending injury also, especially Nieuwendyk.

Firing Quinn was partly a scapegoat move, but also just in time so that Maurice doesn't jump ship elsewhere. Now, should Maurice NOT be hired as a TML Coach, then I'll call bullshit. Til then, I'll be patient to see what will transpire. I, for one, am glad that Quinn is gone simply because we need someone new, and someone who will give the young guys a chance, like Wellwood, Steen, PoniK, etc., not someone who will play them ONLY BECAUSE his older guys are on the shelf.

$20M+ in free cap space.
13th pick in the first round.
2 top-minded goaltender prospects.
A decent core of young defensemen (harrison, bell, colaiacovo) to build on, and Kaberle and *maybe McCabe to return
Aubin - the mystery goalie at $500K/year with a 9-0-2 record to end the year.

I'd say Leaf fans have SOMETHING to look forward to. Turnarounds can happen much quicker than we think, now let's hope they do the right steps moving forward.

kuba

TRIBE Member
D1Willow said:
so JF2 wins the power struggle on coaching. If only he was allowed to be GM. taunenbaum, peddie, and the teachers will be hard to displace as rulers of Laugh nation.
Don't know about that. The teachers pension board is going to replace it's current chairman, and it's rumoured that Ken Thomson might increase his stake, thus eliminating Tannenshit and Peddle-nuts.

kuba

TRIBE Member
KillaLadY said:
Wow... so Patrick was right.
holy shit- it's not like he predicted black monday or september 11th. only a moron would have thought that quinnn would remain as coach after this last year.

*although a caller on the fan590 said that he shoudl get coach of the year for getting 90 points with this team- something that's very funny yet.... very contemplatable*

read in the star that because of shootouts, the leafs didn't make it. if we didn't have shootouts, we'd have been up one point on the lightning for the playoffs.

kuba

TRIBE Member
futronic said:
Yup, my first thought was back to Vancouver for Quinn. I think Crawford will be the next casualty, and if their GM also gets fired, he might get his old dual role back.

-- Jay aka Fut
I don't foresee him becoming coach in Van-city, but he'll play a very important role in that city. He won't be gm, that's for sure.

chemi11

TRIBE Member
kuba said:
read in the star that because of shootouts, the leafs didn't make it. if we didn't have shootouts, we'd have been up one point on the lightning for the playoffs.

We arent the only team playing with new rules.
Just remember Alliston taking PK's, thats the coachs decision.