• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Password Managers

praktik

TRIBE Member
So latest ep of the Skeptic's Guide had an internet security dude on talking about password managers, which I had *NO IDEA* existed

but sound frickin' awesome

Basically you can have the app hold as many passwords as you need and from what I understand, this dude has like ALL his passwords in this app, 25 characters long in combos he would never be able to remember - doesn't even have to know any of them.

Just loads the app, clicks a button - and the login populates.

Any tribers have experience with these? Will add these experiences to the results of my google-fu, just want the best app the first time...something I can use on desktop and mobile simultaneously.

derek

TRIBE Member
i've been using keepass for years with no issue. i change passwords quarterly as a good practice

you can use on your desktop and mobile simultaneously

it's also opensource

KeePass Password Safe

Aaron Bradley

TRIBE Promoter
LEET!

Definitely cool, but I remember everything... every access card I've ever had, every phone number, postal code (just re-tested myself on postal as I changed my address yesterday), even every phone number in my phone.

When that goes, I'll kick back to one of these.

lobo

TRIBE Member
I've used keepass for years on my desktop and it's helped tremendously. Last summer I started playing around with Lastpass since there was a nice Chrome plugin and there's supposed to be a decent Android/iOS app as well. Haven't gotten the app yet but I'm tempted since I've got $20 just sitting in my android wallet.

If you don't want to be bothered with remembering a different password for every site/app and making it strong enough then these password managers are definitely recommended.

Lobo

DJ Vuvu Zela

TRIBE Member
1password.

if you're using mac iCloud now supports password management, but i've been using 1password for years and have been satisfied so i really haven't felt a need to switch over.

deep

TRIBE Member
Lastpass fan here. Multi-platform (mobile, android, ios, mac, windows), multi-browser, auto-login / fill, auto-complete forms

derek

TRIBE Member
i hear good things about lastpass. buy i've used keepass for so long now and it's all my passwords and it works, so no need to switch

probably a given but worth noting keepass is multiplatform as well.

acheron

TRIBE Member
I use enpass - has mobile and desktop versions, they sync via cloud/dropbox. Also has a nice strong password generator. Very handy. Copies desired password to clipboard for you so you don't have to try to transcribe gibberish