• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!
14K Cannabis seed slider pendants by tribe

Passports?

kate

TRIBE Member
So I'm going to Miami but my passport expires 2 days before I get home. Does anyone know if I even need a passport to go to the states? And whats the deal if it expires? Come on wealth of Knowledge aka Tribe fill me in!

Imajica

TRIBE Member
I"m not quite sure about the acuracy involved in this information but I don't think they will allow you to leave the country on a passport when the return date is past the experiation date of your passport.

Bean

TRIBE Member
you need to renew it: fill out application -> go to passport office --> you should have your new passport in a week (if you pay more, they can do a rush job).

as far as i know, you can get into the states with proof of citzenship and photo i.d ... however, given the climate, i'd go with a passport.

peace,
sabina

Tribe 14K gold cannabis seed slider pendant and chain
You're not brown, just bring everything else with you and it shouldn't be a problem.

Personally, I'd renew it before you go regardless of bringing your birth certificate/ID/citizenship card.

kate

TRIBE Member
I'm trying desperately to find some links but no luck. Sabina are you sure I can get one that fast? I sure hope so...I'm freaking out now!

mingster

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by kate
I'm trying desperately to find some links but no luck. Sabina are you sure I can get one that fast? I sure hope so...I'm freaking out now!

when are you going? getting a new passport shouldn't take more than 5 working days, once you've brought it to the passport office. you just have do to a bit of leg-work first.

kate

TRIBE Member
I leave March 5th. My passport expires the 12th and I get back on the 13th...ugh, what a hassle.

Oh well, at least I'll finally be free of the rave-hair photo thats been haunting me for the last 5 years!

mingster

TRIBE Member
you're totally safe!

my advice: get your passport renewed asap. otherwise, you'll forget about it and procrastinate, and not have it when you want to go somewhere, and it'll hang over your head FOREVER!

okay, that's me.

kate

TRIBE Member
Can someone clarify for me though, do I just need to get it renewed or do I need a whole new passport? Are there different rules/legnth of time for either?

Deus

TRIBE Member
Can someone clarify for me though, do I just need to get it renewed or do I need a whole new passport? Are there different rules/legnth of time for either?
Go to the site, stir-fry posted. It will most likely have the information that you are looking for. If not, there will probably be a phone number listed which you can call and get definite answeres instead of going by the guesses of the people of Tribe.

zoo

TRIBE Member
i just went to the states with an expired passport and a valid drivers licence

that is sufficient

jus me

TRIBE Member
i think if you're flying, you should have a valid passport.

if you're driving, then some id is fine.

i've regularly passed the detroit border many times without even being asked for id. just declare citizenship, where you going, and how long i'll be gone for, standard questions.

Libradragon

TRIBE Promoter
i went to miami last year without a passport (and the situation with the border then was just as bad, if not worse than today ) - and went to new york city a few months ago without a passport - i just brought my citizenship card. and i'm brown.

so you should be safe.

kerouacdude

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by mr tall
maybe if you're phil collins
It took me 30 seconds to get this...funny!

http://www.ppt.gc.ca/travel_tips/trip_planning_e.asp

Although the Government of Canada recommends that Canadians travelling to any destination outside of Canada carry a valid passport, it is not mandatory for travel to the United States or Mexico. To date, there is no policy change requiring Canadians to travel with their passports to these destinations. However, you must have sufficient identification to satisfy border officials of your identity and citizenship.

It is recommended that you consult your travel agent or the embassy or consultate of the country you plan to visit for travel document requirements.

Even though a passport is not presently required for entry to the United States, it is mandatory if you travel on a cruise or continue your travel on to another country.

jus me

TRIBE Member
^^^

No, a citizenship card is different.

It's a long application process.

If you're using your birth ceritificate as ID, you could also bring something with a photo, like your OHIP card or driver's license.

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
You don't need a passport to go to the US, just proof of Canadian citizenship (if they even ask). Naturally, a passport is the easiest way to do this, but a birth certificate is just as good.

Passports cannot be "renewed". You have to reapply and get a brand new one. The new passport forms have a more detailed 'witness' section.

Needing a passport that expires in less than six months is only necessary if travelling to 'sketchy' countries.

-jM
A&D

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Jeffsus
You don't need a passport to go to the US, just proof of Canadian citizenship (if they even ask). Naturally, a passport is the easiest way to do this, but a birth certificate is just as good.

Passports cannot be "renewed". You have to reapply and get a brand new one. The new passport forms have a more detailed 'witness' section.
this is all true.

while you do not technically need a current passport to go to/from the u.s., it certainly makes things easier.

my brother got turned away once when he had a birth certificate and not a passport. he's not as white as you but his english is perfect and he had a wallet full of canadian things (i.e. driver's licence, health card, et al.)

border people are serious fuckfaces on major power trips so it is best to bring as much as you can to shut those fuckers up.

you have plenty of time to get your passport. pick up an application form at a shoppers drug mart, get a couple of passport photos, get your application signed by a guarantor (which i can do for you if you need) and then head over to the passport office at 74 victoria street (close to dundas).