• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Passport Expiry and Travel

the_fornicator

TRIBE Member
Was the answer no? I thought it was 6 months from the date of expiry? If so, that would be stupid. Just make a shorter expiration date then if the expiration date isn't really the expiration date.

djfear

TRIBE Member
From the Canadian travel website:
Travel advice and advisories for United States

"Travel documents - Air travel

Canadian citizens travelling by air to, through, or from the U.S. must present one of the following documents:

a passport, which must be valid for the duration of your stay; or
a valid NEXUS card when used at kiosks at designated airports"

From the US website: Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative | U.S. Customs and Border Protection

"Canadian citizens can present a valid passport, Enhanced Driver’s License, or Trusted Traveler Program card (NEXUS, SENTRI or FAST)."

Short answer: Yes.
Caveat: If the border official thinks that you may extend your stay beyond the validity of your travel document then they can deny you entry. If you show your return ticket then I'm sure you wouldn't have any problems.

djfear

TRIBE Member
Also, don't fuck with the visa expiry requirements. You'll get stuck in the country and you'll have to get an emergency passport (white, 3 pages) through the local Canadian embassy. My cousin had to do that once, haha.

More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_requirements_for_Canadian_citizens

Oh here's yet another tidbit: If you buy an airline ticket and include your passport number on the ticket, and then you end up renewing your passport, you can still use the existing ticket as long as the full name is exactly the same.

Okay enough public service announcements from me.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

the_fornicator

TRIBE Member
Not sure how much water this holds, but you might want to call your airline if your passport expires within 6 months. I remember hearing something that they won't let you fly if your passport is going to expire within the next 6 months.

The few minutes might save you a world of headache.

djfear

TRIBE Member
Not sure how much water this holds, but you might want to call your airline if your passport expires within 6 months. I remember hearing something that they won't let you fly if your passport is going to expire within the next 6 months.

The few minutes might save you a world of headache.
It just depends on your destination. The US has no limit as long as you leave prior to the expiry date (or on the expiry date? I'm not sure).

Poland has a limit of 90 days, so your passport MUST be valid for an additional 90 days on your departure date. E.g. Your visa expires on December 31st, 2016, you can travel to Poland up to October 1st, 2016 (I might be off by a day).

kennyboy

TRIBE Member
I don't go anywhere with my passport unless I have 9 months left before renewal.

Not worth the hassles especially if you get jammed up with customs or an airline.

futronic

TRIBE Member
Make your life easy and check Passport Canada's website. Each country has different requirements for passport validity. I believe all Schengen countries require passport validity three months after your departure date.

Passport Canada Travel Advisory

-- Jay aka Fut

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories