1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Party Monster

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by TheDirtBikeKid, Oct 22, 2003.

1. TheDirtBikeKid

TheDirtBikeKid TRIBE Member

Hey guys,

anyone know if Party Monster is out yet and if so, what theatres ?
    Thanks in advance.
    Dave
    P.S. For the G.T.A

2. juice

juice TRIBE Member

Opens tomorrow. I plan on seeing it sometime real soon.

3. MoFo

MoFo TRIBE Member

I went to the release party in NYC.

I had no idea Macaulay Culkin was in it as Michael. THAT IS FUCKING HILARIOUS.

They were giving away free soundtracks and I remember everyone taking one and putting it back. Haha. Including me.

It looks SOOOOOOO bad.

I LOVED the documentary though. Saw it VERY stoned and then watched it again and still loved it.

I recommend anyone rent it for a good laugh.

PARTY IN DUNKIN DONUTS! 12 AM!

4. TheDirtBikeKid

Mofo, is the docu. title the same ?

5. MoFo

MoFo TRIBE Member

Yup.

Me calling Rogers in the Beaches: "Um.. I was wondering if you have.. um, a movie called 'Party Monster...'"

It was so embarrassing.

The docu will make you never want to do drugs again. The Clubkids all turned out to be CRACKED OUT. Wow.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2003
  6. TheDirtBikeKid

7. Lil'Timmy

Lil'Timmy TRIBE Promoter

Its playing at the Carelton cinemas starting on Friday.

8. Dam That SnarkEE Kid

Dam That SnarkEE Kid TRIBE Member

i saw it in montreal three weeks ago

you are totally wrong, it is fuckin amazing

macauley culkin is the hottest, esp. in his doctor outfit with chloe sevigny

and seth green is the best fuckin drag bitch ever

and the soundtrack is fuckin sweet.

hello, it has current electro top40 songs its the best.

the movie is two peens up

and the outfits are three hard peens and a snap.

9. Dam That SnarkEE Kid

Dam That SnarkEE Kid TRIBE Member

ps: disco bloodbath 4ever

pps: the road of excess leads to the temple of... fabulousness.

ppps: the performance during the "clubkyd of america" tour is great and macauley should be an electrotrash super star.

10. MoFo

MoFo TRIBE Member

How was his acting?

I wonder if he was at that party I was at.. Hmm.. Didn't think to check.

11. Aphrodite

Aphrodite TRIBE Member

I was with you.. or I did the exact same thing. "um, it's called 'Party Monster?'" lol

12. TheDirtBikeKid

Anyone know of any other theater's besides the Carelton ones ?
    Too far south for me, I'm stuck in suburbia .

Dave

13. R4V4G3D_SKU11S

R4V4G3D_SKU11S TRIBE Member

Woohoo! I love living so close to Carlton!

14. Libradragon

Libradragon TRIBE Promoter

i want to see this too.

15. IgStar

IgStar TRIBE Member

I ordered the DVD. Should have it soon. But I wanna see it in the theatre too.

16. JAR

JAR TRIBE Member

I think I will be seeing it this Sunday.

17. JAR

JAR TRIBE Member

review from Eye magazine:

PARTY MONSTER
    Starring Macaulay Culkin, Seth Green. Written and directed by Fenton Bailey, Randy Barbato. (STC) 97 min. Opens Oct 24.

From Seth Green and Macaulay Culkin wrestling for control of the narrative during Party Monster's opening minutes, to Culkin's conversation with a giant rat near the end, almost everything about Fenton Bailey and Randy Barbato's look at New York's crazed club scene is totally superficial.

In this case, that's a good thing. Party Monster is based on Disco Bloodbath, James St. James' written chronicle of the Club Kids, a group of audacious partiers who ruled Manhattan's Limelight club in the late-'80s and early-'90s. Green plays St. James, whose status as the circuit's preferred enfant terrible wanes when Michael Alig (Macaulay Culkin) infiltrates the scene and proceeds to turn himself into a flamboyant, androgynous messiah to a small group of drugged-out, postmodern dandies.

The film follows Alig from his rise, through his relationship with superstar DJ Keoki (Wilmer Valderrama), to his arrest for the killing of his drug dealer, Angel (Wilson Cruz). Culkin still can't really act, but his creepy quavering smile and hollow delivery make him perfect for the role of gingerbread psychopath Alig, whose obsession with image enslaved his personality, and eventually his humanity, entirely. (Alig still maintains a rather disturbing website, www.michaelaligclubkids.com, from prison.)

Like Alig, the film is often consumed by image; it's art-directed to a fault, and Michael Wilkinson's garish, fabulous costumes steal the show from everyone wearing them. Often, the filmmakers get so caught up in recreating the outrageous visual environment the Club Kids carried with them that other elements of the film get left behind. Many of the characters' relationships are underdeveloped (particularly the one between Alig and Angel), and as Alig spirals into drug meltdown, the picture gets mired in gloopy camera effects and visual wankery.

But the lack of substance ultimately adds to the mood: flamboyant unconcern underlined by apocalyptic decadence. And while Culkin seems to be good by accident, Green plays bored artifice with surprising range. Fittingly, it's his St. James who finally wins the right to tell the story; more often than not, Party Monster is his film. JOEL MCCONVEY

I saw some clips and I think I have to agree that Macauley STILL can't act. He was pretty bad...which might be good for this role?
    Looking forward to seeing how Seth Green pulls of St. James...

18. MoFo

MoFo TRIBE Member

Does Fez from That 70's Show play Angel?

Omg, this movie is going to be sooo bad, I can't wait!

19. kmac

kmac TRIBE Member

No, he's playing Keoki.

20. Big Cheese

Big Cheese TRIBE Member

yeah justin i read the review this morning in eye too

looks alright

@ carlton though, might have to fetch it out with ryerson students in lecture for a seat (haha)

it looks alright, i'll convince my bella to check it

she enjoyed seeing 13 there a few weeks ago too so

:^)

21. Klubmasta Will

Klubmasta Will TRIBE Member

22. g0nz0

g0nz0 TRIBE Member

should be here today

i will call u tonight if it comes in...tell miss DIWC too

23. zoo

zoo TRIBE Member

i wouldn't trust rotten tomatoes on this one

this isn't a movie for the average reviewer/critic ... i think
    our 'nightlife inspired' community will probably like it much more

24. IgStar

IgStar TRIBE Member

sah-weet Matty! thanks again. I will, she's MIA today. I'll call her. :)
    wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

25. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

"The worst comedy since Death to Smoochy."
    -- Steve Rhodes, STEVE RHODES' INTERNET REVIEWS