• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Paris Hilton picks up DJ residency at Amnesia Ibiza

ravinjunkie

TRIBE Member
This is happening: Paris Hilton picks up DJ residency at Amnesia Ibiza

According to the superclub’s official website, the self-appointed queen of house music herself, Paris Hilton, has picked up a highly-coveted residency at Amnesia Ibiza this summer. The cavernous space – which this season is also hosting the likes of Sven Vath’s long-running Cocoon Mondays, Marco Carola’s Music On and Together, with regular appearances from Knife Party – will be in the hands of Hilton on Wednesdays from 31 July to 31 August.

Her mission? To lead Amnesia’s famous foam parties as the resident DJ. The name of her night? Foam & Diamonds. There will also be Paris Hilton Pop-Up Shops inside Amnesia throughout the run. As the Amnesia website puts it: “The club’s Main Room and stores will bring Hilton’s iconic universe to life through her signature style decor.”

The most talked-about Paris Hilton DJ set to date was at the POP Music Festival in Sao Paulo, Brazil, last year, with bedazzled USB stick, miniature flag and not a whole lot of intensive mixing. Her album collaborator at the time, Afrojack, was quizzed about it on radio, and admitted that he had no idea she had designs on DJing until he got a Google Alert after the show in Brazil.

“I’m not an asshole. I don’t want to put anyone down,” he said at the time. “I think everyone should do what makes them happy, for all the right reasons. And I think it’s really important that if you seriously want to go in front of a crowd and DJ, you actually take the time to practise becoming a DJ. It’s hard work, you know – as a lot of people say, it’s not just pressing play. You have to know how the laptop programs or CDJs work, you have to know what the equaliser is, what the effects are. You can’t just pitch your flanger up and down and wave a flag.”

:O

cosmosuave

TRIBE Member
And I just read this today... Night and Day...

ENTER. the Void: Richie Hawtin and Ibiza | XLR8R

Following this rough introduction, Hawtin stayed away from Ibiza for the next five or six years, as he explains, "At that point, the last place a serious techno musician wanted to come was Ibiza. It was so cheesy, and it was ruled by commercial house music and everything that I thought was bad about the scene." Ultimately, it took the urging of Sven Väth to get Hawtin back out to Ibiza. "He always loved this island," Hawtin recalls. "He had a mission of coming back here and bringing techno back to the island." This ultimately manifested in Väth's Cocoon parties at Amnesia, which continue to run to this day. "He invited me for their first test season… and we had a really amazing party at Amnesia. Not full, just great people, a great vibe. We had a really amazing afterparty. I came back two or three times that summer, and started to see what the island could be." He adds, "Sven showed us what could be possible here."

Rage

TRIBE Member
There's a hell of a lot of BS on the island in the last few years (I've been 3X in the last 6 years) but there's a lot of BS in general in the electronic music scene these days.

This being said - Ibiza is still the greatest place on earth & there are PHENOMENAL parties every night of the week for proper heads - just gotta look a bit harder, that's all.

Bottom line - she would never get this kind of a gig if there wasn't a demand for it so is it reality her fault, the club's - or the legions of idiots who will shell out upwards of $100 (CND) just to get in the door?

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

acheron

TRIBE Member
all things being equal, considering the crowd she's playing to, you could do worse than her in terms of visual appeal behind ze dex

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
i've been to ibiza and, while i had a blast, i do not think it is at all worth the expense/effort. if you can squeeze it in as part of a larger trip (which is what we did), then it's worth checking out.

as i mentioned once previously, paris hilton's former DJ coach is actually from toronto and is known to a few tribers, although no one's allowed to reveal his/her identity.

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
my friend Joga did Spain recently. did a DM concert, toured everywhere on a bike, and partied sideways with Art Dept.
sounded like one hell of a tour.
no way spending a week in Ibiza is right in the head for anyone who actually works hard for their money and watches it.

Blysspluss

TRIBE Member
Yeah I had heard back in 2001 that pricing for partying there had gotten crazy. Can't imagine what it must be now. At least then it seemed somewhat worth it.

videotronic

TRIBE Member
i've been to ibiza and, while i had a blast, i do not think it is at all worth the expense/effort. if you can squeeze it in as part of a larger trip (which is what we did), then it's worth checking out.

as i mentioned once previously, paris hilton's former DJ coach is actually from toronto and is known to a few tribers, although no one's allowed to reveal his/her identity.
Lol they should just fucking kill thsemself, whoever they are. Like take the bucks, teach her to dj...I don't give a fuck...at least do a passable job of it though.

derek

TRIBE Member
well..i know bieber is apparently taking lessons from 'starting from scratch' and i thought for some reason hilton may have also been getting pointers from the same but the conversation i was having with my source of this info is foggy.