• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

papers for working stateside


TRIBE Member
How does one attain:

"proof of eligibility to work in the United States"

I'm graduating in May and am aplying to a very large sportsgood company (as a design intern). I am familiar with getting this done "after" a job offer, but before hand seems quite tricky.

Anyone know where to start...?

luv you tribe :)
Alex D. from TRIBE on Utility Room


TRIBE Member
i can only speak from the perspective of getting a TN visa.

In order to get this visa (one year, renewable), you need:

1. Proof of employment in the US (a letter from the company, saying you have the job and what the job entails).
2. proof of your profession (e.g. a degree in that specific field) - to get a TN visa, you must be practicing in one of the 'approved' professions
3. $50 US
4. Proof of canadian citizenship

the INS website should have the most up-to-date info about this.

my gut feeling is that it will not be possible for you to get a work visa until you have a job lined up.



^^^ may be of help

Last edited:


TRIBE Member
THX :)

i guess so, but once i have an offer (hopefully) then it shouldn't be a problem...but getting proof that it "shouldn't be a problem" is what they may be asking for :) hehe


TRIBE Promoter
"if I *HAD*ID, I wouldn't *NEED* ID!"

If your profession is on the NAFTA list posted, then the company that is making you an offer should be aware/made aware that you have preferred status to enter the US and work under NAFTA.