• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Panettone - Il Ultimo Wop Christmas Cake

deevah

TRIBE Member
another vote for french toasting it
i like candied peel...but I'm chinese and us monsters eat everything as we invented it all.

futronic

TRIBE Member
I love pannetone, but only the ones with chocolate in them. The dried fruit ones tend to be pretty nasty. The chocolate keeps the bread part more moist and therefore more enjoyable.

-- Jay aka Fut

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

mandapanda

TRIBE Member
i remember one year my parents got one given to them, so we sliced it and popped it in the toaster and put butter on it. that was tasty bon. i actually like christmas cake though, so i have no problem with wierd candied fruit parts.

nikki.classics

TRIBE Member
that shit is nasty. i always shudder when nonna puts one of those suckers out for dessert. don't regift it, that's just cruel. use it as a doorstop or something.

defazman

TRIBE Member
yes they are on the dry side, which is why they are good with coffee or espresso.

My office is right by an italian food importer, and every once and a while they have all the panettone on for $2. It's great.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

AgentSanchez

TRIBE Promoter
*shudder* candied peel

almost every year I get fooled by this cake. Sitting there, pretending to be delicious raisin bread and then BAM candied peel hiding all sneaky-like in it's raisin camouflage.

Eww.... raisins.... They look like little rabbit turds.

AdRiaN

TRIBE Member
by the way, doesn't "ultimo" actually mean "final" ? just sayin
This thread is both racist and grammatically incorrect.

Anyhow, panettone comes in enough variety of flavours and fillings that it should appeal to even the cakiest of cakers. I'm surprised nobody has suggested putting ketchup on it. *shudder*

praktik

TRIBE Member
There is no such thing as being racist against italians, but there is such a thing a italians crying "racism!" when confronted with accurate descriptions of their greasy scalps, meatball-stained mouths, or diving/soccer teams.

acheron

TRIBE Member
so we tried it (the non raisin-rind version) last night... not bad, kids said it was 'weirdly sweet' and didn't finish their slices. I had seconds but I agree, the sweetness was sort of but not exactly like the south-asian sweet, not the north american or british variety.

This one wasn't too dry. I dipped a bit in fruité just to try it out and it actually improved the taste somewhat.

praktik

TRIBE Member
also, when someone tells me they're italian I immediately start wondering how many degrees of separation exist between them and the mafia

orchid

TRIBE Member
i love panettone! for those of you who think you don't like it, just pick one of these up and give it a shot: it's not totally traditional, but it's obviously gonna be delish.

Sal De Ban

TRIBE Member
i only get the regular bready one. and sometimes the regular chocolate one. i think they are good, but you can't think of them in the same context as a 'canadian' cake or similar dessert. what are awful is what some italians consider 'biscotti' like i could scrape the ice off my car with this thing. ahh but then you soak it in deliciously dark espresso and it all makes sense again....c'est la vie (said a famous wopper)

AdRiaN

TRIBE Member
also, when someone tells me they're italian I immediately start wondering how many degrees of separation exist between them and the mafia
When you bring up the mafia with Italians, they will first act offended at the stereotypical association, but will also point out they "know a guy."

sugar

TRIBE Member
The only thing worse than panettone is the "black cake" that my guyanese relatives make. Only the dads like it. The women and "kids" know that it is nasty and not to be eaten.