• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Panettone - Il Ultimo Wop Christmas Cake

acheron

TRIBE Member
So I got given one of these bad boys...

It's soft and delicate... it's naturally leavened.. it's 750g and it's got icing sugar on top.

So what's the best way to serve this thing up? Do I heat it? Drizzle it with grappa? wtf?

sk8

TRIBE Member
*shudder* candied peel

almost every year I get fooled by this cake. Sitting there, pretending to be delicious raisin bread and then BAM candied peel hiding all sneaky-like in it's raisin camouflage.

Flashy_McFlash

Well-Known TRIBEr
I love these things. There is probably a standard way of eating it, but I usually am amenable to the 'stick your face in it' method.

sk8

TRIBE Member
I've heard of people making french toast with it

but really, for it to be edible you need to poke out all the candied peel with a chopstick.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

sk8

TRIBE Member
Candied peel isn't so bad. It's the mayor of rinds.
you know how everyone has that one food that causes them to instantly dry heave as soon as they bite it? Mine is candied peel. It's giving me the willies just imagining biting into it.

ooh I have an option now - they have a version here without the candied peel/raisins.
this would be good. the bread-cake part is actually quite tasty. I would like a raisin-only version actually.

Flashy_McFlash

Well-Known TRIBEr
you know how everyone has that one food that causes them to instantly dry heave as soon as they bite it? Mine is candied peel. It's giving me the willies just imagining biting into it.
Just the candied variety? Do you put lemon/orange zest in things?

sk8

TRIBE Member
Just the candied variety? Do you put lemon/orange zest in things?
not usually no. Sometimes if it's really really finely grated - like for lemon squares I can deal, but no large chunks.

I'm not a fan of the citrus fruits in general though - I don't like oranges or their juice, grapefruits are just wrong and lemons and limes are for alcoholic drink decoration and -ades.

SolChild

TRIBE Promoter
So I got given one of these bad boys...

It's soft and delicate... it's naturally leavened.. it's 750g and it's got icing sugar on top.

So what's the best way to serve this thing up? Do I heat it? Drizzle it with grappa? wtf?

butter it. that is all.

Dirty Girl

TRIBE Member
Stuffed Pannetone | Print |
Thursday, 31 July 2008 00:39

Stuffed Panettone ~ In this tasty holiday recipe, traditional panettone is "stuffed" with a creamy filling. This is a traditional Christmas bread recipe from Milano which can now not only be found across Italy, but worldwide. There are many variations to recipes using a prepared panettone and this is one of my favorites. You can also cut out the center and fill with a prepared mousse or ice cream and freeze until ready to serve.

Serves 8-10
by Deborah Mele

1 (2 Pound ) Panettone (Store Bought Is Fine)

4 oz. Toasted Sliced Almonds

4 oz. Cointreau Or Other Orange Liqueur

1 Cup Heavy Cream

1/2 Granulated Sugar

2 Tablespoons Gelatin

2 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract

2 Cups Milk

6 Egg Yolks

2 Teaspoons Corn Starch

To Garnish (Optional):

3/4 Cup Sugar

Powdered Sugar

Slice the panettone into 5 1 inch equal rounds, discarding one layer from the center. Soften the gelatin in a little milk. Heat the milk in a pan over medium heat. Whisk together the egg yolks, sugar and cornstarch in a small bowl. Add a little of the hot milk to the egg mixture and mix well. Add this mixture to the rest of the milk in the pan, and whisk until smooth over low heat. Add the softened gelatin, vanilla and mix. Refrigerate until cool. Whip the heavy cream and fold into the gelatin mixture once it is cool. Chill for one hour.

Dilute the cointreau with a few teaspoons of water, and lightly brush the top of the panettone rounds, reserving some of this mixture for the outside. Start to reassemble the panettone, by spreading the bottom layer with some of the cream mixture. Continue to reassemble using each layer and all the cream mixture. Brush the exterior sides with the cointreau and lightly press on the almond slices. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

Optional Garnish: For a very impressive presentation, melt the 3/4 cup of sugar until boiling with just a little water. Continue stirring until it has completely caramelized. Take one strand at a time, and stretch it over two wooden spoon handles until you have a pile of sugar strands. Arrange this on top of the panettone, and sprinkle with a light coating of powdered sugar.

Other suggestions for serving are to serve each slice with a drizzle of chocolate sauce, or a spoonful of mixed berries sweetened with a little sugar.

Buon Appetito!
Deborah Mele 2002

ID JUST STICK ICE CREAM ON IT. BUT I ALSO WOULDNT EAT THAT.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders