• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Pan Am Games: Turns out it is going to cost $2.1 billion and not $1.4 billion

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
$1.4B Pan Am budget doesn’t include $709M for athletes village
10/01/2013 11:37 AM The Canadian Press

It turns out the $1.4-billion budget for Toronto’s 2015 Pan Am Games does not include money to build the athletes’ village.

Sport Minister Michael Chan says it will cost about $709 million to build the athletes’ housing for the international sporting event.

Chan had another surprise today for a legislative committee, confirming there are actually two budgets for the Games: one for the Toronto 2015 organizing committee and another for the Pan Am Secretariat, an arm of the government.

However, it appears the cost of the athletes’ village is not in either of those budgets.

Under questioning from the opposition parties, Chan said he was angry when he learned high-paid executives on the organizing committee were billing taxpayers for minor expenses like coffee and parking.

However, he denied approving the expense policy or the actual expense claims of the Pan Am executives, saying that was done by the committee’s board of directors.

Chan says any unacceptable expenses will be repaid, but the Toronto 2015 committee has already said they all fell within the current guidelines.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
And probably a lot more than 2.1 billion when the final numbers come in.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
Uh. I'm pretty sure I read that the Athlete's Village is going to be repurposed after the games as a student residence for George Brown College + Affordable Housing + a YMCA centre and the funding was already committed separately by the Province.

acheron

TRIBE Member
that would explain why the opposition parties are going after the Liberals for having two sets of books for the Pan Am budget, neither of which seemed to include the cost of the Athlete's Village.

acheron

TRIBE Member
Just think, unless we vote that idiot out of office, we will be stuck with him welcoming the the world to our city.

"Welcome, folks..."

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
I dont think thats possible as long as the Teflon Jackass is our mayor
yes its the mayor who had jack shit to do with this debacle"s fault

the new mayor who actually got the unions to take a contract beyond this shit show for far less money
+
that jackass actually did something crap hat

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

spaboy

TRIBE Member
I got a notice about a hydro increase @ Queen and Broadview due to the athletes village. Something about higher usage in the area. Let the developers pay for that shit.

We should also all get out of the thread so Ford and BBJ can be alone. Never seen someone ride that idiots jock sooooo hard.

coleridge

TRIBE Member
Uh. I'm pretty sure I read that the Athlete's Village is going to be repurposed after the games as a student residence for George Brown College + Affordable Housing + a YMCA centre and the funding was already committed separately by the Province.
Yes. This.

It was clearly laid out at beginning of all this.

The Province committed to building housing that over the first 20 years of its existence happens to be occupied by athletes for a couple of weeks.

This is not a surprise, the conservatives are trying to make something out of nothing.

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
20 years????
for a few weeks of use
something out of nothing....are you fucking high>:>>>

if you are a city planner coleridtge i hope you lose your job cause you are terrible

i have to deal with idiots like you all day

actually i want your name and number so i can check there is no one as stupid as you on any site i ever find myself on

Last edited:

kuba

TRIBE Member
obvious question: could this money not have instead been used to build our fucking subways? i have no clue as to where we got the funds from, who is paying for this crap, who pays for the overage, and why the hell we have pan-am games, but I firmly believe job creation and union ball washing is behind this crap.

kuba

TRIBE Member
The Toronto 2015 Organizing Committee (TO2015), along with all three levels of government, will spend about C$1.4 billion in upgrading and building new venues in the region.[14] The provincial government (Ontario) and the Canadian federal government would provide 35% each of the funding, with the municipalities covering the remaining 30% of the cost. In addition, C$1 billion will be spent on building an athletes' village in the West Don Lands area of Toronto. Therefore, the total spent will be $2.4 billion, the highest ever spent for a Pan American Games. Later in 2011, Toronto's contribution to the games almost doubled from $49.5 million to $96.5 million for several reasons: the athletics stadium was moved to York University from Hamilton, the soil was to be remediated at the University of Toronto Scarborough where the proposed aquatics centre is supposed to be built, more money was needed for the proposed BMX track and the increase in inflation.[15] $700 million Canadian dollars will be spent to build and renovate infrastructure in the region, about three times what was spent for the 2011 Pan American Games.[16]

kuba

TRIBE Member
so we thecity are spending $100M. not bad. still wonder why the hell we ever got this and instead aren't getting subways. then again affordable downtown housing isn't such a bad thing either.

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
i find it funny the ppl who post on tribe forget the fact the houses they buy and taxes they pay all of a sudden dont count when it comes to toronto

then demand everyone else pay more than their fair share so they can be douches