• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Palestinian MIlitants Attack Israeli Position Behind Green Line, Kidnap A Soldier

SellyCat

TRIBE Member
Janieface said:
i'm glad to see you took my advice and used [feverishly] instead of that horrible fake word. [fervorishly]
~atp~ said:
ARE WE DONE YET? WOULD ANYONE ELSE LIKE TO COMMENT?diethx
Can I take a stab at it?

Other options closer to the word "Fervor", but which can be readily--and corretly--converted into adverds, indlude: "Fervent(ly)" and "Fervid(ly)" (Fervor is a noun only, and has no verb form, and thus it cannot be made into an adverb)

"Zealously" is probably closest in meaning to what your were inending. Vehemently would have also done nicely.

Sorry for the interruption; you may continue gently fondling my balls with your soft, wet tongue. :D

Last edited:

SellyCat

TRIBE Member
In other new, the Israel cabinet approved a considerable expansion of the ground war in Lebanon in light of the continued rocket attacks--nearly 200 a day, now including longer range missiles that are regularly striking Haifa--and the considerable number of military casualties. They will send a staggering 40,000 troops to "clear out" South Lebanon all the way up to the Litani River. So the war isn't going to be over for a while, and it's about to get much worse.

Last night, in Ha'aretz--of all place--I found two editorials that promoted--nay, demanded with great fervor--that the cabinet approve the escalation. The editorials were characterised by heavy use of carefully considered rhetorical devices that struck several emotional chords familiar to Israelis: Fear of failure, humiliation, and weakness and, above all, the fear that "the world" will see Israel as having suffered a "crushing" defeat in light of the inability to stop the daily Hezbollah rocket attacks.

The editorials had me, literally, open-mouthed at their ferocity; something which is wholly uncharacteristic of that very high quality news paper. On top of that, in the morning, they ran the deadline "PM OLMERT WAIVERS ON EXPANDED GROUND OPERATION" but a few hours later, they reported that, in fact, the escalation had been approved. No votes against, three abstentions.

Also, the pace and scope of anti-war rallies within Israel are increasing.

Last edited:

~atp~

TRIBE Member
Stay true to your roots. "ou" is always superior to the untrustworthy "o" variation in spelling.

In news relevant to this thread, I've stopped caring. Let Israel do what it wants, I say.

edit: And I absolutely meant "fervour", because I was describing (and mocking) an emotional state. Anyway, like I said, I'm done engaging in this thread. All my shit from here on in is going to be isolated remarks.

Last edited:

SellyCat

TRIBE Member
You mean like the other dozen times you've tried to make us beleive that you don't care about this topic, that you're overcome by apathy, and are "finished" with the thread?

[SARCASM]Yeah, I believe you. Your pattern has definitely conveyed considerable apathy, a general lack of concern, a palpable deficit of conviction, and--above all--total indifference toward the outcome, effects, and root-causes of the current crisis. Please lol [/SARCASM] :D

Come back to Toronto; we have partying to do.

Last edited:

SellyCat

TRIBE Member
~atp~ said:
Stay true to your roots. "ou" is always superior to the untrustworthy "o" variation in spelling.
Because I've been doing so much writing lately, I've been pondering this most serious question. "o" is the North American way. "Ou" is the British way. I'm inclined to gravitate toward the Imperial model, because it's what I'm sued to. Neighbour, colour, fervour, etc. In this case, I was using my always-loyal side-kick, the Encarta DVD Reference Library Dictionary/Thesaurus desktop application, whose problem-solving power in these matters is unrivaled.

man_slut

TRIBE Member
It's only kind of funny because the guy who wrote it is from Israel and was in the army. ch33se :D ch33se

Operation Security Roof: Developing Story…

by GILAD ATZMON

Following the IDF difficulties in defeating Hezbollah’s and Hamas’s ballistic warfare, the Israeli Government is now searching for contractors with some advanced experience in large scale reinforced concrete constructions. The mission ahead is the building of a solid concrete roof over the entire Jewish State (known as ‘Greater Israel’). PM Olmert is determined that the only way to defend Israel’s populated area is to cover the Jewish State with a thick layer of iron and cement.

The Israeli Government’s decision to build a concrete roof followed a considerable debate within the cabinet. Defence Minister Amir Peretz insisted that a massive extension of the current Security Wall would be enough to provide the goods. Peretz maintained that a substantial increase of the wall to the height of 90,000 ft. would be more than sufficient to stop missiles from entering Israeli territory. Peretz sensibly argued that Israeli youngsters would benefit from seeing the blue sky when they raise their eyes above. Prime Minister Olmert and the Chief of Staff, Major General Dan Halutz, couldn’t agree less. Being fully aware of the nature of ballistic warfare, both Halutz and Olmert agreed that the only way to provide the Jewish State with the ultimate security is to cover it from above with a reinforced concrete shield. Shimon Peres, the legendary peace enthusiast, offered a compromise inspired by the idea of a trampoline. Peres suggested that a Security Wall’s 90,000 ft. extension made of an elastic net would do the job. The elder statesman argued that an elastic net will guarantee that every Arab missile aimed at Israel would bounce back to the Arab territory once it hits the net. Olmert and Halutz dismissed Peres’s suggestion. They argued that considering the excessive Israeli usage of artillery and missiles against its Arab enemies, the Jewish State would suffer far more from the erection of such a ‘bouncy net’. “Israel,” said Halutz, “would never survive the extent of its fierce artillery barrages bouncing back on itself.”

In a press conference following the heated cabinet debate, the Government spokesman Mr Zion Zioni stressed that “following the total success of the Security Wall in stopping Palestinian suicidal terror, ‘Security Roof’ is obviously the natural way to proceed.” Mr Zioni maintained as well that the new Israeli project will turn the Jewish State into a “sealed Jewish Bunker”. “In fact,” Zioni emphasised, “‘Operation Security Roof’ brings the Zionist adventure into its final destination. We are now moving from the ‘Iron Wall’ phase into the ‘Concrete Roof’ future. With a reinforced concrete ceiling from above, a Security Wall in the East and the Mediterranean Sea in the West, the Jewish State will eventually become the safest haven for world Jewry. Herzl’s dream comes true. Long Live Israel!”

Yet, some technical difficulties lay ahead. Probably the most crucial problem has something to do with breathing. Like the rest of the humankind, the Israeli people consume oxygen and release carbon dioxide. Apparently, the Israeli cabinet Ministers were made aware of this very crucial fact by the Health Minister. Olmert, being a man of action, responded immediately. Already in the cabinet meeting he authorised the Defence Ministry to explore different solutions to the acute problem. We already learned from the Defence Ministry spokesman Lt. Galileo Galilee that ‘Filter on the Roof’, the Israeli-American High Tech chemical giant (traded on Wall Street, operated from Gush Katif) has been contracted to deal with the problem.

We have learned as well from Lt. Galilee that Filter on the Roof has already come up with more than a few solutions. Although some of the solutions are rather radical, it is crucial to mention that they are all extremely innovative, as you would expect from an Israeli-American High Tech venture. Probably the most conventional and practical solution proposed by the chemical giant was to bore as many as 6 million ventilation holes in the roof. Peres, Peretz and Sh-Meretz rejected the possibility without even thinking twice. “Considering our traumatic collective memory of the holocaust,” so they said, “turning the Jewish State into a big room with holes in the ceiling is simply unacceptable.”

Probably the most radical suggestion made by the Israeli-American company was to train the Jewish population in Israel to breath like fish. By the time the Israeli people are well trained, all that is left to do is just to fill the Jewish bunker with seawater. In other words, Filter on the Roof suggested to turn the Israeli State into a ‘giant Jewish tropical aquarium’. Though this option seems to be very radical and even inconceivable, most cabinet Ministers reacted enthusiastically. They all agreed that such a solution would fit nicely with the concept of modern Jewish life in general and Zionism in particular. Israelis love the sea. Israelis are not afraid of water. Once the entire Israeli society is covered with water, no one would ever consider throwing them to the sea.

We will be following this developing story and keeping you informed.

Gilad Atzmon was born in Israel and served in the Israeli military. He is the author of two novels: A Guide to the Perplexed and the recently released My One and Only Love.

SOURCE

derek

TRIBE Member
SellyCat said:
In other new, the Israel cabinet approved a considerable expansion of the ground war in Lebanon in light of the continued rocket attacks--nearly 200 a day, now including longer range missiles that are regularly striking Haifa--and the considerable number of military casualties. They will send a staggering 40,000 troops to "clear out" South Lebanon all the way up to the Litani River. So the war isn't going to be over for a while, and it's about to get much worse.

Last night, in Ha'aretz--of all place--I found two editorials that promoted--nay, demanded with great fervor--that the cabinet approve the escalation. The editorials were characterised by heavy use of carefully considered rhetorical devices that struck several emotional chords familiar to Israelis: Fear of failure, humiliation, and weakness and, above all, the fear that "the world" will see Israel as having suffered a "crushing" defeat in light of the inability to stop the daily Hezbollah rocket attacks.

The editorials had me, literally, open-mouthed at their ferocity; something which is wholly uncharacteristic of that very high quality news paper. On top of that, in the morning, they ran the deadline "PM OLMERT WAIVERS ON EXPANDED GROUND OPERATION" but a few hours later, they reported that, in fact, the escalation had been approved. No votes against, three abstentions.

Also, the pace and scope of anti-war rallies within Israel are increasing.

i read those editorials. first real criticism i've read from within israel so far. one of the editorial insinuated that olmert and crew were too new at the job, not sure what to actually do, and promised to deliver too much too soon.

anybody else notice the gush shalom (israel institution for peace) site's not working. wonder if it's accidental or intentional.

derek

TRIBE Member
the front page seems fine, but when i go to open any other documents, they are blank. looks like they had to find a new IP. just seems odd is all.

interesting comment i came across reading the guardian:

Jonathan Freedland (Comment, August 2) denounces Hizbullah for embedding its fighters in Lebanese villages, next to schools, hospitals and refugee centres. But where does he think Israel's weapons factories, army camps and military airfields are to be found? We are located here between a military camp and a weapons factory. Israel recently publicised the fact that Hizbullah had fired "near a hospital" in a northern Israeli city. In fact, there is a large army camp right next to that hospital. I am forbidden from identifying the hospital or the city under Israel's military censorship rules. These are rarely mentioned by the media, but have been effective in shutting down discussion of what Hizbullah is actually targeting in northern Israel.
Jonathan Cook
Nazareth, Israel

~atp~

TRIBE Member
yes, I linked to Jonathan Cook's blog in that thread that was started in the general forum ... what happened to it, btw?

~atp~

TRIBE Member
Dear Dan,

Please die a horrible and painful death that involves godless humiliation, showers, furnaces and your mother's bad cooking.

SellyCat

TRIBE Member
Not until the war in Lebanon is over. Then we'll start "The Post Lebanon War Diplomatic Bullshit Thread"

Or, if shit goes (even more) pear-shaped, "The OMG WTF WWIII Thread"

I love you, World. *commits suicide*

man_slut

TRIBE Member
derek said:
the front page seems fine, but when i go to open any other documents, they are blank. looks like they had to find a new IP. just seems odd is all.

interesting comment i came across reading the guardian:

Jonathan Freedland (Comment, August 2) denounces Hizbullah for embedding its fighters in Lebanese villages, next to schools, hospitals and refugee centres. But where does he think Israel's weapons factories, army camps and military airfields are to be found? We are located here between a military camp and a weapons factory. Israel recently publicised the fact that Hizbullah had fired "near a hospital" in a northern Israeli city. In fact, there is a large army camp right next to that hospital. I am forbidden from identifying the hospital or the city under Israel's military censorship rules. These are rarely mentioned by the media, but have been effective in shutting down discussion of what Hizbullah is actually targeting in northern Israel.
Jonathan Cook
Nazareth, Israel
Hypocrisy and the Clamor Against Hizbullah

By JONATHAN COOK