• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Paleo eating/lifestyle

awwnaw

TRIBE Member
I hope this doesn't get moved to the health thread as from what I've gathered it's a 'lifestyle'.

Anyhooter, does anyone follow a paleo diet? The concept is simple; we're not genetically evolved enough to thrive in a world where our exercise and diet is one essentially designed by an industrial age. It's meant to aid in a whole host of deficiencies.

Anyone follow this lifestyle/diet? Opinions? ( like I have to ask :D )

basilisk

TRIBE Member
The scientific basis of the paleo diet seems dubious but eating whole, natural, and unprocessed foods is not such a bad idea.

derek

TRIBE Member
the problem is paleo tribes / cultures had varied diets based on geography. so the diet is a little misleading. the proponent also has some whacky ideas outside his diet fad. like humans weren't built for long distance running, only short bursts of exercise. to prove his theory he points to injuries in marathon runnners, but forgets that foraging tribes didn't run on pavement, didn't run in shoes, and had a completely different gait that actually prevented injury. yet, some tribe that still exist today run long distances very efficiently.

i only point the later out as the proponent of the diet has a habit of twisting facts to fit his view.

that said, try it. it obviously works for some people. just watch your energy levels, as the lack of carbs may lower them. unless of course you're chasing down a mastodon and have some animal fat to chew on the way for some prime fuel, then go for it.

Last edited:

WestsideWax

TRIBE Promoter
Pretty sure there was discussion of this in the health forum and that it's already been debunked.

If you're going to follow this diet, it's only fair that you kill your own food using some sort of crudely sharpened stick. That, or you'll have to run your cow off a cliff.

erika

TRIBE Member
And let's not forget that humans in that era had a life expectancy of what, 20 years?
(And what about chocolate? :D)

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

agentRC4

TRIBE Member
This diet is excellent when followed properly. There is lots of research to suggest it does wonders for people with chronic gastro problems. (this is more likely due to eating less processed foods and more raw fruits/veggies and lean meat)

The theory that suggests our bodies haven't changed much since the time of the cave man is true and therefor dietary speaking we are very close.

Our bodies are still better designed for quadraped movement rather than bi-pedal. From a muscular standpoint we are starting to lose some of this. (prymidalis mucsle is starting to disappear and the same with palmaris longus in your forearm. This used to be your Achilles when we were on all 4's. Now about 60% of the population has one.)

Regions play a use part and what percentage of meat/fish to veggies/carbs is also key. You want about a 60/40 split. But you have to eat locally (think 100 mile diet).

Living in Toronto and eating something found locally is best, but if you've immigrated from another part of the world it will be hard to pick up as your bodies are wired for the area of your ancestors and not necessarily where you are living now.

Last edited:
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Dirty Girl

TRIBE Member

. From a muscular standpoint we are starting to lose some of this. (prymidalis mucsle is starting to disappear and the same with palmaris longus in your forearm. This used to be your Achilles when we were on all 4's. Now about 60% of the population has one.)

omg where is my palmaris longus? how do you know if you have one? I wanna know if I have one or not!!! I bet I dont, I have very weak wrists.

agentRC4

TRIBE Member
put your thumb and pinky together so they touch and squeeze. If you see a big tendon pop up at the wrist you have one.(palm facing you) But do it on both sides as some people have both, only one side or none at all.

sk8

TRIBE Member
This diet is excellent when followed properly. There is lots of research to suggest it does wonders for people with chronic gastro problems. (this is more likely due to eating less processed foods and more raw fruits/veggies and lean meat)
You have to be careful when stating this - it does depend on the gastro problem. If I switched to a diet of raw fruits and veggies I'd be in the hospital constantly and have half my intestines removed.

Although I believe that you are referring more to people with the catch all "sensitive stomach" rather than those of us with diseases.

Sal De Ban

TRIBE Member
And let's not forget that humans in that era had a life expectancy of what, 20 years?
(And what about chocolate? :D)
i'm sure cutting out carbohydrates, gluten, sugar, and processed foods will not shorten my life expectancy! :p

(I actually just started the paleo diet this week, so if you don't hear from me....)

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

SolChild

TRIBE Promoter
I do this diet at about 90% and its changed my life. I was a fish-a-tarian for about 15 years and got sick and tired of feeling sick and tired. I had thyroid issues, high cholesterol and gastro issues. I was eating lots of "heart heatlhy" whole grains and had a pretty clean diet. Lots of fish, tofu, beans, brown rice, multi-grain bread, whole wheat pasta. I ate no junk food and no sodas. But I was miserable, I was gassy, bloated, no energy....I felt sick all the time and was taking statins for my cholesterol and meds for my thyroid.

One day at the bookstore I picked up a book called "The Paleo Diet' by Loren Cordain and started reading it in the store and ended up buying it. For me, the change wasnt only to stop eating grains and beans and all that but it was also to start eating meat. Big decisions had to be made, so it took quite a lot of research and soul searching for me, but in the end started eating meat again and stopped with the crazy processed grains.

After about one day of not eating grains I felt better. After 3 days, I had no more bloating, cramping, heartburn, headaches and had tons more energy. After about 2 weeks I noticed that I started losing fat around my gut and kept losing. As a test after about one month of not eating bread or rice or wheat and all that stuff I had a BLT sandwich with whole wheat bread and almost right away the cramps started and I felt like going to sleep (this is because the sugar in the bread causes a huge insulin spike and then you come crashing down).

Maybe I'm sensitive to these things, but really, I find that now I eat more veggies than I ever did as a vegetarian and Im fully enjoying good healthy lean meats. I do eat bacon about twice a week and rock some sausages too.
And eat 2 whole eggs everyday cooked in butter.

Yet, my cholesterol is no longer an issue (yet I eat way more saturated fat) and I also don't have any more thyroid problems.

It's been about 6 months since I started a Paleo type diet and I dont think I could ever go back to eating all those processed grain, beans, corn and wheat products. These days I'm not so hardcore as when I first started, especially with the weather changing and all the baking going on around me but I still keep it very minimal and I always know what to expect after eating processed carbs.

I think everyone should try this out. You have nothing to lose.

Sal De Ban

TRIBE Member
i just had some brazil nuts. i've been warned that they're high in fat though. ah well - i'm not eating any sugar lately so it'll sort itself out.

derek

TRIBE Member
it works for few people i know as well. myself, not so much, i just found my energy levels waning.

as agentRC4 point from an evolutionary stand point certain grains are relatively new to our diet (say 7,000 - 10,000 years), and our digetstive system / metabolism for the most part is still catching up.

although, i have read some studies we've been eating grains longer than initially anticipated and the advent of agriculture as a longer phase in period than previously though.

you really won't know unless you try.