• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Pacific Mall

It's Rawknee

TRIBE Member
I don't normally buy dvds however, im off to the cottage this weekend and i wanted to pick up some viewing material.

So this past friday i went to Pacific Mall and every single dvd store was shut down, next thing you know im outside leaving and there's a huge Uhaul truck full of dvds with about 8-10 guys with jackets that say Anti Piracy Police!

Today i went to First Markham Place and just as i purchased my dvds the same guys came in with their garbage bags and started packing everything up.

How often does this happen and how do these stores continue to reopen!

It's Rawknee said:
How often does this happen and how do these stores continue to reopen!
It's a cost of business in most of their eyes. So the police shut down the operation for a few days and tout their bust in the papers. The fines they issue are nothing compared to how much they've made on the overall sales.

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
i'm sure the peeps who own these shops own more than 1, and the amount of discs they're pumping out is redonkulous.

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
SUNKIST said:
what is the deal with those things always hanging of cell phones? lights. little bears. bells. what the hell?
They're called straps. DOCOMO!

I met one girl who had more than 50 on one phone. FIFTY+!

At first I thought it was just a weird Asian/Japanese fad, but then I learned they have a purpose. FIFTY+ girl explained to me they are so that you can pull the phone out of your pocket, by the strap. Quite handy really.

I now keep at least one strap on my phone at all times.
A nice leather dealy given me by beautiful, beautiful AT. *sigh*

-jM
A&D

Flashy_McFlash

Well-Known TRIBEr
Within a week of the bust should be the safest time to check. They are usually set up again the following week and stay up until the next bust (usually six months later).

Time to stock up on grey-market Christmas gifts!

Vise

TRIBE Member
Its been a month or so since the last bust at Pac Mall and still no English movies available... dunno what happened that was different this time but it seems to have worked. I've been getting a kick out of watching all of the (generally non-asian) people wandering around like lost dogs looking for bootleg movies lately. :)

dj Red Turtle

TRIBE Promoter
Me and the wife were up there two weekends ago and saw the anti piracy guys walking around. They had their anti piracy jackets on and were scoping out all the dvd places. We followed them around a bit to see if they busted anyone. They didn't as all the stores only sold asian bootlegs :(

Vise

TRIBE Member
dj Red Turtle said:
Me and the wife were up there two weekends ago and saw the anti piracy guys walking around. They had their anti piracy jackets on and were scoping out all the dvd places. We followed them around a bit to see if they busted anyone. They didn't as all the stores only sold asian bootlegs :(
That probably explains why we haven't seen the english movies blatantly displayed everywhere... I have a feeling some of the places are still selling them out of boxes but are keeping them off display though.

unique2100

TRIBE Promoter
I was at Pacific the weekend after the raid, there was still a store or 2 selling english dvds. Check right up the stairs and to your right if you enter through the south mall entrance.

Vise

TRIBE Member
Was there for lunch today, still no english movies on display but I'm pretty sure they are available at a few of the places if you ask.

They're probably going to keep them in hiding until mid January. By then, nearly all the big Oscar bait films will be in the theatres for a few weeks, and they'll have had their shot at getting top spot on opening weekend. Right now is prime screener season with tons of big Oscar contenders being circulated for the Academy members.

Confused

TRIBE Member
el presidente Highsteppa said:
They're probably going to keep them in hiding until mid January. By then, nearly all the big Oscar bait films will be in the theatres for a few weeks, and they'll have had their shot at getting top spot on opening weekend. Right now is prime screener season with tons of big Oscar contenders being circulated for the Academy members.
i'd say half of em are already released on torrents

litespeed

Well-Known TRIBEr
I was there on sunday. Bought about 20 movies from 2 different shops. They have english titles, just ask. They were in a box under the counter.

ev said:
I was there on sunday. Bought about 20 movies from 2 different shops. They have english titles, just ask. They were in a box under the counter.
They're actually giving you a gander at lists that they have of all the english movies. You write down the ones you want, give them $20.00 and they tell you to come back in 5 minutes. When you're back, they have your movies all ready and waiting for you.

The Truth

TRIBE Member
200,000 pirated DVDs seized from GTA malls

Jan 04, 2009 04:30 AM
Nicole Baute
STAFF REPORTER

A Canadian organization representing the motion picture industry seized more than 200,000 illegal DVDs in three GTA malls in a series of raids that began in October, and says any vendors resilient enough to keep selling the pirated films are likely linked to organized crime.

"The stores that remain really are the hard-core stores that we've hit over and over again," said Stephen Covey, director of anti-piracy operations for the Canadian Motion Picture Distributors Association yesterday.

Covey said Markham's notorious Pacific Mall, the First Markham Place and the Oriental Centre in Scarborough form one of the largest centres of illegal DVD sales in North America.

Pirated DVDs in flimsy plastic sleeves were openly displayed for sale yesterday in at least 10 stores at the Pacific Mall and a few stores at the Oriental Centre. Among the titles were The Curious Case of Benjamin Button and Seven Pounds, both currently showing in theatres.

Fluorescent signs advertising "one for $4," "three for $10" and "seven for $20" encouraged shoppers to buy in bulk.

The quality of the films ranged, vendors explained, from "DVD quality" to "95 per cent" or "a little bit blurry."

Covey said a fall intelligence probe in the area found 60 stores with "literally thousands" of pirated DVDs each. During the first weekend of raids in late October, the civil team confiscated over 100,000 DVDs and continued to seize them almost daily for eight weeks.

Covey said they were able to shut down a lot of the stores, but the work is not over.

"We've had a lot of success with the raids that we've done and now it's time to take criminal action," he said.

He said the organization has been in contact with local police and that the 15-20 Markham stores still selling pirated DVDs can expect more raids in the new year.

Vendors could face Copyright Act or fraud charges, he said.

The RCMP is in charge of enforcing intellectual property laws.

Covey urged the public to consider the impact of their purchases.

"When people see cheap DVDs, often they see it just as a good deal," he said. "The money that you're spending, that you're giving these people, is absolutely going to organized crime."

He said stores selling legitimate films in the area cannot compete with the counterfeit operations and see their sales negatively affected.

Illegal DVDs amount to an estimated $118 million annual loss for Canadian movie distributors.

http://www.thestar.com/News/GTA/article/561408