• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

P. Diddy In The Hizzouse Music, Working On Electronic Dance LP

~decepticon~

TRIBE Promoter
P. Diddy In The Hizzouse Music, Working On Electronic Dance LP
02.10.2004 9:05 PM EST

P. Diddy (file)
Photo: Jeff Kravitz

For the past year, P. Diddy has been working on a electro-fueled dance-rap hybrid album, and he's hired some of the biggest names in independent electronic music to produce the disc.

One of his main collaborators is Felix Da Housecat, who wrote 12 songs, four or five of which will make the final cut, Felix said. Other producers include Les Rythmes Digitales, Timo Maas, DJ Hell and Zoot Woman, each of whom color Diddy's world with clattering beats and delirious samples.

"Puff likes that tech bangin' stuff," Felix said. "But it's not soulless and it really has a groove. It's definitely him, and it has a gangsta sound that he brings to it."

While Diddy has never dabbled in European-flavored electronic dance music before, he came into the project with no lack of knowledge. He's listened to loads of underground records and has attended electronic music festivals, including the Winter Music Conference in Miami, where last year he studied up on the numerous hot DJs, noting what he liked and what he didn't.

"He knows cheese from credible, which really shocked me," Felix said. "He wants straight, edgy music. The beats are really stripped-down and raw, and he's totally into it. We were in Ibiza together, and when I played, he jumped on the stage and there were like 5,000 people going crazy to this bangin' stuff I was playing. He's seeing that, and he's like, 'Yeah, yeah, yeah, this is where I want to take it.' "

But while much of the still-untitled album will be upbeat and frantic, Felix said there'll also be some emotive, down-tempo numbers. Diddy likely will bring a number of guest singers into his studio in the coming weeks, but he's also doing vocals himself, and it's not what his fans are used to hearing from the rap Renaissance man.

"It's sort of like rapping, but it's so hard to explain," Felix said. "It's definitely capturing his personality and his vibe in dance, so he's not changing himself. He says, 'I want something sexy and gangsta,' so that's what we did."

Felix tested one of the songs, "Jack You," in front of 25,000 people at the Big Day Out festival in Australia. Diddy played it in a much smaller club, and both were pleased by the response.

"I think 'cuz our worlds are so different, we're able to create some really great stuff," Felix said. "People have tried to merge dance music with hip-hop, but it's never really been accomplished or finished right. That was definitely the biggest test for me."

this could be good :)

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

MoFo

TRIBE Member
OOooooooooooh, well, if it's anything like his other music, I'm sure it's gonna be a Christmas favourite.

green_souljah

TRIBE Member
Im not surprised at this at all, remember it was P Diddy who pretty much pioneered "dance rap" back in the mid nineties.

This may go somewhere.

:)

chipotle

Well-Known TRIBEr
what??!

dance rap?? what the hell is that??

he has made and collaboraded on some tracks.. but nothing stellar.

let's just wait and see.

green_souljah

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by chipotle
what??!

dance rap?? what the hell is that??

yeah I guess that term kind of died.

Dance..not in a sense that we would know....more like where that very annoying Jay Z sound came from.

Top 40 hip hop I guess you could call it.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders
They've been saying this for over a year and a half now, ever since he showed up at Ibiza and hung out with Deep Dish, Sandra Collins and Timo Maas.

How many variations of Let's Get Up And Let's Get Ill can we get?

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Yeah, I'd like to side with Shitpole for once and ask what the hell is dance rap?

If you're talking about things being sped up then I'd say Hello Missy, Roots, garage cru's and Outkast are all bringing it somewhere new.

green_souljah

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by MoFo
Yeah, I'd like to side with Shitpole for once and ask what the hell is dance rap?

If you're talking about things being sped up, well, Hello Missy, Roots, garage cru's and Outkast.

ok well,

Back in like 93 or 94, hip hop was kind of in a lull of popularity right? then that whole NYC sound came out (led by Bad Boy) that was much more pop-friendly, and danceable, hence the term-dance rap.
Puff Daddy, Notorious BIG, Jay Z, all those doods.

I just remember a few hip hop headz I used to know referring to it as that....maybe they were the only ones that used the term who knows. At the time it made sense though.

patri©k

TRIBE Member
please... he's just trying to revive something that was left behind by peeps like:

TWIN HYPE

MR. LEE

KC FLIGHT

etc..etc....

there's nothing new under the sun.

KickIT

TRIBE Member
Its not like he's the first person to think of mixing the 2. Hip house had its hayday for a while in the early nineties.

Mr. Lee - Get Busy
Jungle Brothers - I'll House You

*c*

SelfExel

TRIBE Member
I read that puff was into the whole house scene before he made it big with the rap music.

So shut the fuck up and see what the kid has to offer, the man runs shit, no matter what you like to think.

patri©k

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by SelfExel

So shut the fuck up and see what the kid has to offer, the man runs shit, no matter what you like to think.

where's the proof cockmuncher?

lol, runs shit. LOL.

green_souljah

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by patri©k
please... he's just trying to revive something that was left behind by peeps like:

TWIN HYPE

MR. LEE

KC FLIGHT

etc..etc....

there's nothing new under the sun.

Oh hey Im not arguing that, the difference is Puff knows how to sell records, those guys didn't.

He is the Chris Sheppard of rap.

patri©k

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by green_souljah
Oh hey Im not arguing that, the difference is Puff knows how to sell records, those guys didn't.

He is the Chris Sheppard of rap.

maybe because the novelty of purchasing vinyl had yet to become mainstream.

not only that... those hiphouse guys of the late 80's / early 90's were touching unchartered waters...

nobody was sure if it was the bandwagon worth jumping on.

edit: besides... pushing the message of bling and money is ruler is KEY to the major labels and powers that be.. of course he's gonna be the don of POP-HOP!

:p

SelfExel

TRIBE Member
where's the proof cockmuncher?

lol, runs shit. LOL.

Hmmmm, lets see, he could call the chemical brothers lets say, friday or anyone else for that matter and have a track made for monday.

He runs shit. It dosen't matter that p@trick dosen't like his music.

patri©k

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by SelfExel
Hmmmm, lets see, he could call the chemical brothers lets say, friday or anyone else for that matter and have a track made for monday.

He runs shit. It dosen't matter that p@trick dosen't like his music.

wow.

that's fantastic. I'm smarter for having read that.

green_souljah

TRIBE Member
maybe because the novelty of purchasing vinyl had yet to become mainstream.

not only that... those hiphouse guys of the late 80's / early 90's were touching unchartered waters...

nobody was sure if it was the bandwagon worth jumping on.

I didn't mean records in a literal sense, I meant CD's, movie soundtracks, all that stuff that became dominated with that east coast Bad Boy sound in the mid to late nineties right?

Very rarely does someone invent a sound im popular music and stick with it long enough to reap the rewards. Im sure those doods in the 80's were indeed doing things that noone else had done. Unfortunately, talent is only 50% of it, you need 50% marketing as well.

:)

zoo

TRIBE Member
This could very well be a great cd. But.

Puff Daddy has simply hired very big names in the electronic dance music industry, to make an album for him. Puff Daddy has the incredible responsibility of *choosing* what songs to use, and *choosing* when to say things like "Let's Get Up Let's Get Ill".

In other word, Sean "Puffy" Combs really has nothing to do with this cd at all, except that he'll be making a profit on it, that it will bring more success to his name, and that it might branch electronic music to a wider audience.

"P.Diddy" is not making electronic music. He's paying other people to do it. This is bad how?

Stormshadow

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by zoo
This could very well be a great cd. But.

Puff Daddy has simply hired very big names in the electronic dance music industry, to make an album for him. Puff Daddy has the incredible responsibility of *choosing* what songs to use, and *choosing* when to say things like "Let's Get Up Let's Get Ill".

In other word, Sean "Puffy" Combs really has nothing to do with this cd at all, except that he'll be making a profit on it, that it will bring more success to his name, and that it might branch electronic music to a wider audience.

"P.Diddy" is not making electronic music. He's paying other people to do it. This is bad how?

Kind of like Paul Oakenfold, eh?

Stormshadow

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by green_souljah
ok well,

Back in like 93 or 94, hip hop was kind of in a lull of popularity right? then that whole NYC sound came out (led by Bad Boy) that was much more pop-friendly, and danceable, hence the term-dance rap.
Puff Daddy, Notorious BIG, Jay Z, all those doods.

I just remember a few hip hop headz I used to know referring to it as that....maybe they were the only ones that used the term who knows. At the time it made sense though.

I really don't think that hip hop was in a 'lull' in popularity in 93-94.
Anyways, there was nothing too "dancey" about Ready to Die or any of Bad Boy's first released. Sure it was club friendly...but I wouldn't say "dance rap".

Hip-house from the late 80s-early 90s would probably fit the label "dance rap" better.

Originally posted by Stormshadow
I really don't think that hip hop was in a 'lull' in popularity in 93-94.

Just by listening to 88.1 this afternoon, they were doing a show just based around all the great hip hop in 93. There was a LOT of good work and tracks out then, and it was more of a turning point away from the social consciousness movement that was dominating rap, and turning more into a bit less huge party hook, partly because sampling law had solidified quite tightly, and partly because Jazz was being introduced into a lot of hip hop.

Give a listen to 88.1 next week, they're doing a showcase of hip hop from 94 from 1-3 I think. It was a great show today.