• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Overseas shipping service recommendations

Sassy

TRIBE Member
Ok apparently, I am very new and have posted a few - first time, how do you do this threads today...

I am moving to Australia at the end of the month would like to find the best way (cheapest way) to ship a few boxes over. Can anyone recommend a service they have used or know about?! I tried googling overseas shipping but was given a bunch of moving company websites that looked like they specialize in moving full houses or offices overseas as opposed to a couple of boxes.

Once again, thank you in advance, much appreciated!!! :)

Maui

TRIBE Member
Maybe you can find room in one of those crates the Europeans ship their criminals over in?

Sassy

TRIBE Member
IgStar said:
Kareeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen

:)

you're moving to australia?
congrats babe!

(UPS)
Jen!!!! :)

I actually was there for school from August to the end of October and liked it so much that I have decided to move there for a year (was granted a year working visa, just made the cut, apparently the cut off age is 30) and I am applying to do my PhD, if accepted will start in March (crazy eh???).

How are you doing Iggy? Well I hope, need to make why way over to Zurich to visit you! :)

billy

TRIBE Member
try a company called fast freight. they can consolidate your items with a larger shipment to save you money.

swenard

TRIBE Member
billy said:
try a company called fast freight. they can consolidate your items with a larger shipment to save you money.
My best friend used to pack shipping containers for fastfreight. They pay per container, so they try to fit as much in each container as possible. If you even somewhat value what is in the box, you will have A LOT of packing material inside. They will literally jump on boxes to get the container to close. If you would like to witness it, go sit out back of their loading facility. They leave the door open and you can watch them do it.

IgStar

TRIBE Member
Sassy said:

I actually was there for school from August to the end of October and liked it so much that I have decided to move there for a year (was granted a year working visa, just made the cut, apparently the cut off age is 30) and I am applying to do my PhD, if accepted will start in March (crazy eh???).

How are you doing Iggy? Well I hope, need to make why way over to Zurich to visit you! :)

wow! good for you. I was wondering what you've been up to! busy girl.
Hope you get into your program :)

and of course, my swiss door is always open should you ever happen to be *around*
haha
congrats Kar!

Boo

TRIBE Member
Sassy said:

I'm heading to Australia in Feb/March on te working holiday visa too.

I know a tonne of people from Ireland/England that have had stuff shipped over there, and they usually get a crate and ship it by sea. It goes by size of the container, not by weight so if you have something big it could cost a pretty penny. If you are only going for a year, how much do you need?

When I moved back from Ireland I had a tonne of suitcases and had to leave a bunch of stuff behind. Looked into shipping companies but in the end it was cheaper to upgrade to first class tickets, get bigger baggage allowances, and also got to travel first class for the same price.

I've lived overseas twice, once for 3 years and again for 1 year and never needed anything shipped that I couldn't buy there. The price is generaly not worth it.

My mother had her car loaded with boxes shipped to the UK for about 2 grand, which was worth it because cars are so expensive there. For clothes etc, I'd say just pay the excess baggage charges, it will get there with you (instead of 2 months later) and less of a chance of stuff getting damaged, and will prolly cost about the same.

Its about $5 a kilo and a decent sized suitcase would be $100 or so - but if you have a nice guy at the check in desk you might get one free or something.

Last edited:

Sassy

TRIBE Member
Thanks for the advice Boo, it probably would be cheaper to buy some stuff (clothes) there and would give me a legitimate excuse to shop, which is always great! :)

billy

TRIBE Member
swenard said:
My best friend used to pack shipping containers for fastfreight. They pay per container, so they try to fit as much in each container as possible. If you even somewhat value what is in the box, you will have A LOT of packing material inside. They will literally jump on boxes to get the container to close. If you would like to witness it, go sit out back of their loading facility. They leave the door open and you can watch them do it.
that's why i recommed that clients crate their items instead of using boxes. (no, i don't work for them but in the biz).

Boo

TRIBE Member
Aerius Zension said:
Does UPS service Ireland, like if you left a laptop battery there?
I know for a fact that UPS is in Ireland as they have 2 of their main European HQ's there, I went for an interview at one of them.

DHL is the most popular courier that I know of.

For a laptop battery you can send it by regular air-mail which is very effient. I sometimes get stuff from Ireland faster than I get it from Vancouver.