• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

"Overqualified"

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
During my most recent job hunt, aka now, I am scoring many interviews but the feedback I am getting, almost universally, is,

them> "You're experience is exemplary and we don't think you would be satisified in this role."

them> "Thank you for your time however this is a more junior position."

them> "I'm impressed by your experience but this is not a good match."

During one interview, an engineer asked me about my experience coding:

him> "So, it says here, you code in "C""?
me> "Yes, I've coded extensively in C. Usually that was for embedded systems."
him to another software guy> "What's embedded systems?"
software guy> "That means code for cars"

I just sat there, thinking, "really? really guys?"

I didn't get the job because apparently I'm a "hardware guy" even though I only spoke about software.

And in either case, ... Whatever. I gave out 12 cases of free food to homeless people today and the room is full.

-jM
A&D

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
For me, generally speaking, it's very sad that people today, who "code", have no idea how their writing interfaces with the actual hardware.

Am I the last of a dying breed who really knows what machine code means? Certainly I'm not, somewhere, Intel is hiding these people who know what's really going on.

But the rest of the world plays "Farmville". WTF?

I'm going to shut up now before I go on an extended bend about closed software.

-jM
A&D

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
He was a very gentle guy.

Will> "No, not now."

His hair was cropped, blond, blue eyes of course and crimson lips. Exactly how I like them.

me> "Well, should we do the pepsi challenge?"

And we did.

One day, we were at a different club, and Will leaned over and said,

Will> "Ok you can check it now."

And I did check it. And a great subsection of the club saw me checking it. And everyone was happy.

-jM
A&D

Aaron Bradley

TRIBE Promoter
Maybe do a little more research in the places you're trying to land. Are these actual software companies or organizations with an IT department? Also, if you're getting this much bad luck, I hope you're looking for a contract position...

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
Maybe do a little more research in the places you're trying to land. Are these actual software companies or organizations with an IT department? Also, if you're getting this much bad luck, I hope you're looking for a contract position...
Oh sir, I researched the hell out of this particular company. In fact I was pretty impressed by their use of semantic networks, neural networks, etc. in their particular product. I personally have a lot of experience in fuzzy logic but anyway....

I was just gobsmacked when an engineering director first of all doesn't know what "embedded systems" are, and when he gets an explanation, it's "hardware".

I admit, I have not really kept up with all the ridiculous high level languages coming out. But I do have a very strong foundation in real computing and I just gasp at what seems to be the current notion that C or firmware is now considered "hardware".

OK I'm just gonna go reverse ejaculate now.

-jM
A&D

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

djfear

TRIBE Member
You would probably get frustrated working with an engineer who doesn't know what the fuck an embedded system is, and someone who doesn't know how to explain it in the first place. Even I "get it", and I don't even code for work.

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
You would probably get frustrated working with an engineer who doesn't know what the fuck an embedded system is, and someone who doesn't know how to explain it in the first place. Even I "get it", and I don't even code for work.
So I'm not crazy right? Any software person should know what embedded systems are right?

I just got frustrated in the interview, I guess you're right that I would be more frustrated actually working for that guy.

I mean, he was nice and all.

So then I just got really high and yeah.

-jM
A&D