• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Over Qualified

Lysistrata

Well-Known TRIBEr
I'm over qualified? Me? I'm a fucking receptionist, for Chrissakes, I'm not over qualified for anything other than using my one-line personal phone. Don't tell me I'm over qualified, just fucking hire me, I wouldn't be here if I didn't want the job, if I was looking for something higher up or better off or whatever standards you people use! Just please please hire me away from this pit of despair I inhabit every day, monday to friday, pushing me day by day closer to the edge of immolation.

It just sounds like such euphemistic bullshit, like they say 'over qualified' to say "well, we're not sure that we really like you, but we sure as hell can't argue about your experience."

Fuck Shit Spit Piss. I'm going to purposefully develop Tourette's so I can qualify for disability.

Alex D. from TRIBE on Utility Room
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Booty Bits

TRIBE Member
i've gotten this overqualified BS before and it makes me blood boil.
basically what they're saying is, "youre too motivated, too driven and too intelligent to be willing to stay in this position for more than a year. we want a lifer with no prospects, no marketable skills and no ambition. sorry, come back when your spirit is broken."

honestly. its fucking despicable. the worst is that these were entry level positions i was applying for. OF COURSE i'm not gonna want to do this forever!

finary

TRIBE Promoter
It's all about having a big fucking ego to back up that experience!

When I walked into several job interviews over the summer, one of the common themes was

"You're overqualified"

When you have nothing to lose, it's amazing what arguing with them can do for you! haha.

I simply convinced them that I wanted this job really bad for reasons A, B, and C and told them that I'd be commited to the company and wouldn't leave after a couple months if I found something better. (that's what they are most concerned about it seems)

So I was offered jobs on a few occasions after arguing with them about being over-qualified... Then when it came time to talk salary I realized I had wasted my time :p

This made things easier for the next interviews though... When I got the feeling I may be over qualified, I just asked them to talk salary for a minute to save myself some time. If their pay wasnt up to snuff, I thanked them for their time and walked right out.

It was kinda fun actually, calling the shots in an interview, instead of sitting there being nervous and following their lead.

/finary

Cheer Bear

TRIBE Member
I hate that. It doesn't make sense to me at all. You'd think they'd want a qualified person instead of some dumb shit that doesn't know anything!

IgStar

TRIBE Member
yup, fucking BS.

My dad went through umemployment hell for almost 2 years b/c he was "overqualified" for every position he applied for.
He ended up cooking in the kitchen in a seafood rest. for $7/hr b/c he had me & my brother to look after (this was years ago)
he HAD to take something.

fucking assholes.

quantumize

TRIBE Member
i know this is terribel but every now and then at the restaurant i wil hire people who i know are complete dumbasses and it makes the staff and the owners appreciate the staff we have working there som much more

they don't usually last more than a few shifts and it makes the waiters and waitresses say to themselves.... hey this guy's an idiot it makes such and such not seem so bad

opium_souldjah

TRIBE Member
When I started this job I told them in the interview that I didn't just want to be a receptionist, I wanted to be more than that. I wanted to move with the company and by that work my tail off for them. Already I have had a raise, and they changed my title. I feel for the first time that with this company that I am going to be moving forward instead of backwards!

JESuX

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Lysistrata
I'm over qualified? Me? I'm a fucking receptionist, for Chrissakes, I'm not over qualified for anything other than using my one-line personal phone. Don't tell me I'm over qualified, just fucking hire me, I wouldn't be here if I didn't want the job, if I was looking for something higher up or better off or whatever standards you people use! Just please please hire me away from this pit of despair I inhabit every day, monday to friday, pushing me day by day closer to the edge of immolation.

It just sounds like such euphemistic bullshit, like they say 'over qualified' to say "well, we're not sure that we really like you, but we sure as hell can't argue about your experience."

Fuck Shit Spit Piss. I'm going to purposefully develop Tourette's so I can qualify for disability.

I feel your pain, sistah.

I just started applying around for a bunch of jobs lately, too. I think I might be UNDER qualified, however.

Job "You are aware that we specifically requested a person with 4-8 years experience as an administrative assistant, are you not, miss henderson?"

me "Yes, of course. I have finely honed literacy skills, ma'am, I did take note of that. I feel that I am qualified for the position based on sheer sass and balls alone. "

noodle

TRIBE Member
Not that it's right, but I think places may think that "over qualified" people will be more likely to leave at the drop of a hat if something better comes along. Which I'm sure is true.

Lysistrata

Well-Known TRIBEr
Aw, you guys are great commiserators. I really appreciate it. Plus, now I know Jess' and Joe's last names so I can fully stalk them.

So 'overqualified' means that they're afraid I'll leave for something better, eh? Fuck, I'm dumb, I didn't think about that (Granted, I've only been thinking about the term for a couple of hours, and most of that has been pure mental ranting and raving.)

I should have covered that. I told them I was coming from a PR reception/admin position but wasn't interested in a career in PR, whereas I'm certainly interested in a career in their field. Perhaps I'm blinded by my admittedly muddled emotions right now, but I really think I just didn't make a good impression, becuase I'm terrible with interviews (and auditions, a major reason I didn't follow the actor-life) because I just cannot control my nerves. I deep breath and focus and calm blue ocean myself, and as soon as we start talking I feel my voice lose it's grounding.

It's just so the last thing I was expecting to be told--fucking over qualified? Excuse me, why are you even fucking interviewing me then, it's all there on my resume for you to judge beforehand!

(I would like to note that I actually DO refrain from using the word 'fuck' in interviews.)

Humanjava

TRIBE Member
I have been over qualified for 3 years now with it turning into being underqualifed now to work in my industry and career or still being to over qualified to serv a fucken coffee.

:mad:

You have to love selling all your assets, studio, etc on this kind of crauuuup.

quantumize

TRIBE Member
^^

Dee donb't worry about it it is always hard to get hired in the first quarter because this the financially the slowest quarter of the year.

from jan to march there isn't much economic growth going on and this is usually when companies takeover other companies [like the bid for disney just ten days ago !!!]

what i'm trying to say is that you might get a few bullshit answers like this from companies who just don't want to hire because business is stagnant.

hang in and keep trying you will get something asthe economy picky up gradually during the spring thaw

:)

P.S that is not my last name

Sunshyne Jones

TRIBE Member
one of the reasons people say you're over qualified is that they don't want you to leave AFTER they've spent time and money (and time IS money) training you. it does make sense, but it's a chicken shit comment on their part all the same.

Lysistrata - you're on the right track now though - if you get this response AND you are actually willing to take the job and feel you could move up in the company or whatever, DEFINITELY try to convince them of that.

I was over qualified for my last position - I agreed with them - er actually I was DIFFERENTLY qualified but whatever. But I proposed that I start in that job anyway, and then work into a position that would be more appropriate for me (started as an Exec Asst and wanted to do PR / Internal Communications) ... and it worked! And I was only in that job for under two years, I had increasing responsibility level and more and more duties that are related to what I wanted to do and then when an appropriate position came open I applied, my boss supported me and I am now working as a communications manager doing internal comms for an entire division. woo hoo!

okay, now i feel great about my job right now - thanks! haha ... just sharing a good news story so you know it can happen.

Last edited:

Lysistrata

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by Skipper
LOL...thanks for the clarification on your use of the word "fuck" Dorianne ;)

I just imagined all you people imagining me behaving in interviews the way I behave on Tribe... "Yuo should fucking hire me cause I'm really fucking smart, like I read a lot and shit, you wanna hear about this book I'm reading now, there's this chick with a head like a bug! Plus I female ejaculate. So I'm in right?"

Now if only I could verbalize typos.

Joe, can't you hire me as a waitress? C'mon. All you have to do is pay the transportation costs for me to travel to Woodbridge or wherever the hell you wops hawk your foodstuffs.

The Tesseract

TRIBE Member
A guy i worked with in the Summer was WAAAAAAAYYYY over qualified for his job position.

He had a Masters in Chemistry from the University of Manila, Phillipines.

and...
he was pushing buggies for $10/hr at work!

They told him he was overqualified. He told them, he didn't care, he needed a job and was willing to compromise himself.
They liked his earnest and openness, and hired him.

Liquidity

TRIBE Member
can't you just dumb down your resume?

instead of "MBA at Western", you can write "took some business related courses in London, Ontario "...