1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Outrage over plans to build library next to Sarah Palin

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by praktik, Aug 23, 2010.

1. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

OUTRAGE OVER PLANS TO BUILD LIBRARY NEXT TO SARAH PALIN
    19-08-10

The Daily Mash - OUTRAGE OVER PLANS TO BUILD LIBRARY NEXT TO SARAH PALIN

PLANS to build a state-of-the-art library next to Republican catastrophe Sarah Palin are causing outrage across mainstream America.

Almost 40% of Americans still support the idea of booksCampaigners have described the project as insensitive and a deliberate act of provocation by people with brains.

The issue is forming a dividing line in advance of November's mid-term congressional elections with candidates being forced to declare whether they have ever been to a library or spoken to someone who has books in their home.

Meanwhile President Obama has caused unease within his own Democratic party by endorsing the library and claiming that not everyone who reads books is responsible for calling Mrs Palin a fuckwit nutjob nightmare of a human being.

But Bill McKay, a leading member of the right-wing Teapot movement, said: "Sarah Palin is a hallowed place for Americans who can't read.

"How is she going to feel knowing that every day there are people going inside a building to find things out for themselves and have thoughts, right in the very shadow of her amazing nipples."

He added: "Our founding fathers intended for every building in this country to be a church containing one book, written by Jesus, that would be read out in a strange voice by an orange man in a shiny suit who would also tell you who you were allowed to kill.

"Building a library next to Mrs Palin is like Pearl Harbour. Or 9/11."

And Wayne Hayes, a pig masseur from Coontree, Virginia, said: "I is so angry right now.

"It's like something is on fire right in the middle of my head. Like I've eaten a real hot chilli, but it's gone up my nose tubes rather than down my ass tubes."

He added: "Would these library lovers allow me to set up a stall next to the Smithsonian Museum and start selling DVDs of bible cartoons as long as it was in accordance with local regulations?

"Oh they would? I see. So is that why they're better than me?"

2. erika

erika TRIBE Member

hahahahaha that's too fun :D

3. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

yep!

Posted by an American on another board:

"the whole world is laughing at us again"

Yes they are...

And I look at the GIANT mosque going in across the street from my office building - directly alongside the final leg of the HIGHWAY OF HEROES (dammit!) - and note the utter lack of angry Canadians outside protesting the erection of a mosque along the road by which the remains of soldiers KILLED AT THE HANDS OF MUSLIMS are conducted home and think to myself yet again: "thank FUCK I'm Canukistani and not American!"

4. erika

erika TRIBE Member

I think they should call it the Highway of Victims...

5. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

Out of the 151 Canadian Forces' deaths so far in Afghanistan, 94 have been caused by IEDs. So really, the Highway of Heroes is more like the Highway of Unlucky Clubfooted Mineclearers. We are really, really good at stepping on mines.

6. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

Mark Williams' New Line On NYC Mosque: Mayor Bloomberg Is A 'Judenrat' | TPMMuckraker

7. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

8. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

9. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

A Strange Place to Focus
    26 Aug 2010 09:35 am
    by Conor Friedersdorf

Daniel Larison writes:

...what I find remarkable about this mosque controversy is how blatantly, narrowly political the opposition to this particular construction project has been. It has been an exercise in manipulating public anger and using it for the purpose of waging an ostensibly anti-Islamist political campaign by organizing against harmless Muslims and their organizations. A distinctive American culture isn’t under threat from this mosque, the Cordoba Initiative or Imam Abdul Rauf. Rauf and those like him do represent a threat to lazy conservative anti-jihadism that treats every Muslim to “the right” of Ayaan Hirsi Ali as a potential fifth columnist and would-be enforcer of creeping shari’a...

It isn’t enough if Muslims peacefully practice their religion, reject violence and embrace their new countries, but they must also become pro-government loyalists.​

In another post, he says:

These champions give the impression that they are a tiny band of courageous souls resisting the tide of indifference and appeasement that is otherwise taking us all to oblivion, but somehow they wind up critiquing figures such as Ramadan (or Rauf) who pose no conceivable threat to them or to anyone else. The less dangerous the Muslims in question are, the more insidious and subversive they are made out to be.

Obviously, there has been no shortage of self-appointed protectors who want to warn the public about threats from Islamist groups, and for the most part mainstream media outlets have repeated these warnings or served as venues for the issuing of such warnings. The point isn’t that there aren’t threatening, hostile Islamists in the world, but that they are largely so powerless, so irrelevant, and so few in number that it makes no sense that they inspire so much panic and alarm. Scoffing at the alarmists shouldn’t blind anyone to real Islamist threats when they exist. On the contrary, criticizing the people who routinely exaggerate the power of Islamists is an important part of confronting the threats that actually exist. It is also an expression of confidence in “what we stand for” that we don’t believe our way of life can be destroyed by such relatively weak foes. ​

The staunchest critics of the Cordoba Initiative ought to see that lavishing so much scrutiny on Imam Rauf and his plans for a mosque near Ground Zero is folly in a world where there are plenty of Islamist radicals who openly preach violence, encourage terrorism, and otherwise represent an actually threat to the United States. I've said before that it's perfectly acceptable to scrutinize Imam Rauf's record, and to subject his style of interfaith outreach to praise or criticism.

But if your object is protecting the United States from a security threat, as opposed to constructively engaging the question of how moderates ought to engage Islam as a whole, the decision to focus on Imam Rauf is the kind of judgment call that should basically disqualify you from any position actually responsible for safeguarding American national security.

10. <FresHFunK>

<FresHFunK> TRIBE Member

LOL

Sometimes, I find that the funniest comments are really, really wrong in so many ways. Last time I heard something like "Canukistani", it was "Welcome to Chinada."

11. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

Ya the Americans christened us Canukistanis when we said no to Iraq. About the same time as freedom fries.

12. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member