1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Our share of the Greek bailout is 600 million

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by alexd, Apr 25, 2010.

1. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

Apparently Canada's share of the IMF component of Greece's bailout is $600 million.

1) if the Greeks don't want an IMF bailout, why should we give it to them?
    2) how did they get in such a predicament in the first place?
  2. ndrwrld

ndrwrld TRIBE Member

( meaning, this deal is shit ).
  3. Bernnie Federko

Bernnie Federko TRIBE Member

and I had to make a significant RRSP contribution at the deadline this year just to Zero Out on my return while these bozo's retire from one lap of luxury into another. Fuck those guys. And the IMF.
  4. kyfe

kyfe TRIBE Member

when did greece become a third world country?
  5. Hi i'm God

Hi i'm God TRIBE Member

Oh Man I can't wait for the Greece jokes up in this thread.
  6. green_souljah

green_souljah TRIBE Member

Spending gazillions of dollars on crowbars to keep the men out of the boys?
  7. WestsideWax

WestsideWax TRIBE Promoter

One of my students, who's closely tied with the industry, equated Greece's application to the EU to that of someone who buys a house, telling the realtor that they have $20,000 to put down when in fact they only have $20 in the bank.

Sounds like par for the course.
  8. alexd

What would happen if they are allowed to default? If they don't get bailed out?
  9. Bernnie Federko

The fear that Greece isn't the only cockroach in the EU.

I'm not the only one to liken this to the Lehman Bros/Wall Street disaster. There is a school of thought that believes had LEH been saved, like the others right after, the massive panic that rocked the global finance system wouldn't have occurred.

Anyway, I digress. My point is, that if you don't save 'em, they'll be bankrupt. That will cause inflation like you wouldn't believe in Greece, and likely an ugly reveal that they're not the only ones in the EU.
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2010
  10. Bernnie Federko

Another common thread in all this dirty biz with Greece is that Goldman Sachs has been fingered for aiding the Greek gov't to obtain financing by helping them appear to be in better shape than they actually were when going to the bond market. It's called 'window dressing', and that's a big no-no in the banking world. We'll see if anything comes of it over the next year.

(sorry for the run on sentences)
  11. Bernnie Federko

12. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

well i guess the haters that were against the auto industry loans can put this in perspective. especially considering that gm is already paying the gov't back
  13. Sleepy Giant

Sleepy Giant TRIBE Member

14. 2canplay

2canplay TRIBE Member

15. 2canplay

2canplay TRIBE Member

ummmm, nothing. It's Greece. :rolleyes:
  16. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

free souvlaki for all!
  17. Maui

Maui TRIBE Member

Hope to see ya all on the streets at the G20 in June!
  18. WestsideWax

WestsideWax TRIBE Promoter

Yeah, lying about something is pretty taboo where I come from, too.

Except we call it lying, not some prettied-up catchphrase that makes it sound like something it isn't.
  19. MissBlu

MissBlu TRIBE Member

good luck!
  20. Bernnie Federko

Like Fraud? And I'm pleased you learned something new there. Window Dressing is a legal term, look it up for more info.

PS - You're welcome.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2010
  21. Bernnie Federko

As a figure of speech, "window dressing" means something done to make a better impression, and sometimes implies something dishonest or deceptive. [1]

^ Pearsall, Judy (2002). "Concise Oxford English Dictionary". Concise Oxford English Dictionary. New York: Oxford University Press, Inc..

Display window - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  22. Big Cheese

Big Cheese TRIBE Member

awh don't tell me you plan on getting all geared up to fight the cops and "make a stand to be heard" ...

really? really?
  23. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

the way they've got this thing locked up it will be HIGHLY unlikely that anyone involved in the summit sees even a single protester
  24. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

oh and back on topic... Maybe the Greeks should start selling stuff off, like antiquities or something. How much am I bid for the Parthenon?
  25. alexd

The 20 in G20 stands for the 20 foot high fence they are going to put around the entire area. I wonder how those people who live in those new condos in the zone are going to deal with ins and outs... Ha!