• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Ottawa Restaurants... Italian Specifically.

EffinHard

TRIBE Member
I need a nice italian restaurant preferably near the Byward Market. COme on tribe, this is what your great at, and the search functionis disabled so dont even bother giving me that excuse.

Im at the national cancer leadership forum and these people want to eat.

grumblegirl

TRIBE Member
this is Ottawa you're talking about so your choices are limited.

that said - apparently Cafe Spiga is pretty good (on Clarence).
Mamma Grazie's Kitchen (on George St) has gotten some decent reviews too.
there's also Mangia (also on Clarence), tho it's more 'mediterranean', than specifically italian.

but remember that i'm talking 'ottawa-good', which is, from what i've seen, significantly different from 'toronto-good'.

aside from these choices - you're pretty much stuck with bistros, tex-mex, and a couple of asian fusion places.

good luck.

Persephone

TRIBE Member
A friend just recommended Mamma Grazie's Kitchen to me last night as well. Haven't been there yet though, so I can't speak for the place.

I went to Mezzanotte in the Market a few weeks ago. The food has awesome presentation! Its a bit on the pricier side, even for the Market. I would definitely go to this place again.

And yes, take grumblegirl's advice re: ottawa-good vs. toronto-good. Its true!

quotidian

TRIBE Member
I liked Vitoria Trattoria when I lived in Ottawa.
It is (was?) at 35 William Street (in the market)
Everything I had there was yummy!

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Papillon

TRIBE Member
EffinHard said:
I need a nice italian restaurant preferably near the Byward Market. COme on tribe, this is what your great at, and the search functionis disabled so dont even bother giving me that excuse.

Im at the national cancer leadership forum and these people want to eat.
Oh? Presenting Stephen Fletcher with an award for all his hard work on the CSCC, right?

AdRiaN

TRIBE Member
I recently learned that Ottawa has a Little Italy along Preston Street.

Yeah, it's really little. I guess living in Toronto spoils you when it comes to ethnic neighbourhoods. I did manage to find a nice restaurant though. I wish I could remember the name. The veal was awesomissimo!

Lovely N Amazin

TRIBE Member
mama teresa is awesome but pricey. and i don't get the ottawa-good vs toronto-good. i think for its size, ottawa has better restaurants than toronto. it's a national capital after all ... tons of excellent cuisine. people don't eat out as much but those govt and foreign diplomat expense accounts have to be spent somewhere.

Persephone

TRIBE Member
Lovely N Amazin said:
mama teresa is awesome but pricey. and i don't get the ottawa-good vs toronto-good. i think for its size, ottawa has better restaurants than toronto. it's a national capital after all ... tons of excellent cuisine. people don't eat out as much but those govt and foreign diplomat expense accounts have to be spent somewhere.
what? Have you eaten at any of the asian restaurants in Ottawa? I have not found a single one that I'm truly happy with.

Lovely N Amazin

TRIBE Member
and you've lived in ottawa for how many months? ottawa chinese's community has deep roots. ottawa was the city that received the most vietnamese "boat people" in the 1980s. if you're looking for the spring rolls/green mango/cheap sushi shops owned by cantonese people experience, no you will not find it. but great little restaurants that locals frequent, like yang shen on the corner of bronson and sommerset.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Persephone

TRIBE Member
Lovely N Amazin said:
and you've lived in ottawa for how many months? ottawa chinese's community has deep roots. ottawa was the city that received the most vietnamese "boat people" in the 1980s. if you're looking for the spring rolls/green mango/cheap sushi shops owned by cantonese people experience, no you will not find it. but great little restaurants that locals frequent, like yang shen on the corner of bronson and sommerset.
I do order from Yang Shen quite often actually. But its the exception to the rule. I have been highly disappointed with Thai and Vietnamese cuisine since I've been here, and that's been almost two years. I know others who have lived here their whole life, and they agree that Ottawa restaurants suck generally, in comparison to Toronto. Of course, there are exceptions. But in general I find that with any type of asian food, you'll pay higher prices for a smaller amount of food in Ottawa, and the quality is either barely comparable or below that which I've experienced in Toronto.

Who knows, maybe I'm limited because I dont have a car and stick to downtown. But the downtown is usually the area with the best selection, right? My fav Ottawa restaurants are Black Thorn Cafe and Phnom Penh, a Cambodian restaurant out in kanata. You can imagine how often I get to eat there!

Lovely N Amazin

TRIBE Member
i'm happy to hear you like yang shen, i love that place :D i think that on the whole, people in ottawa have a more conservative palate and tend to stick to the food they know. so you're right: that limits the selection and drives up the price compared to toronto. i could do dimsum and move on to vietnamese for dinner whereas some people don't do either in a year!