• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Oscar Nominations

sianspherica

TRIBE Member
They're out

biggest oversight: Andy Serkis, who played Caeser in Rise of the Planet of the Apes. Total deserved a nomination. As good as his work was as Gollum and King Kong, this was the best. The Academy are way too old fashioned and need to grow up and realize just how much skill and talent it requires to pull off something like the Caeser in that film.

I like Christopher Plummer and it would be nice to see him win, but Serkis' performance was even better than his in Beginners, imo.

Anyways, full list.

Best Motion Picture of the Year

Nominees:
The Artist (2011): Thomas Langmann

The Descendants (2011): Jim Burke, Alexander Payne, Jim Taylor

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close (2011): Scott Rudin

The Help (2011): Brunson Green, Chris Columbus, Michael Barnathan

Hugo (2011/II): Graham King, Martin Scorsese

Midnight in Paris (2011): Letty Aronson, Stephen Tenenbaum

Moneyball (2011): Michael De Luca, Rachael Horovitz, Brad Pitt

The Tree of Life (2011): Nominees to be determined

War Horse (2011): Steven Spielberg, Kathleen Kennedy

George Clooney for The Descendants (2011)

Jean Dujardin for The Artist (2011)

Gary Oldman for Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (2011)

Brad Pitt for Moneyball (2011)

Viola Davis for The Help (2011)

Rooney Mara for The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011)

Meryl Streep for The Iron Lady (2011)

Michelle Williams for My Week with Marilyn (2011)

Jonah Hill for Moneyball (2011)

Nick Nolte for Warrior (2011)

Christopher Plummer for Beginners (2010)

Max von Sydow for Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close (2011)

Jessica Chastain for The Help (2011)

Melissa McCarthy for Bridesmaids (2011)

Janet McTeer for Albert Nobbs (2011)

Octavia Spencer for The Help (2011)

Michel Hazanavicius for The Artist (2011)

Terrence Malick for The Tree of Life (2011)

Alexander Payne for The Descendants (2011)

Martin Scorsese for Hugo (2011/II)

Bridesmaids (2011): Kristen Wiig, Annie Mumolo

Margin Call (2011): J.C. Chandor

Midnight in Paris (2011): Woody Allen

A Separation (2011): Asghar Farhadi

Hugo (2011/II): John Logan

The Ides of March (2011): George Clooney, Grant Heslov, Beau Willimon

Moneyball (2011): Steven Zaillian, Aaron Sorkin, Stan Chervin

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (2011): Bridget O'Connor, Peter Straughan

Chico & Rita (2010): Fernando Trueba, Javier Mariscal

Kung Fu Panda 2 (2011): Jennifer Yuh

Puss in Boots (2011): Chris Miller

Rango (2011): Gore Verbinski

Footnote (2011): Joseph Cedar(Israel)

In Darkness (2011): Agnieszka Holland(Poland)

Monsieur Lazhar (2011): Philippe Falardeau(Canada)

A Separation (2011): Asghar Farhadi(Iran)

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011): Jeff Cronenweth

Hugo (2011/II): Robert Richardson

The Tree of Life (2011): Emmanuel Lubezki

War Horse (2011): Janusz Kaminski

and the rest you can find on imdb.

sianspherica

TRIBE Member
yeah looking at the nominations reminds me it was a fairly lacklustre year in film

I've yet to see The Help, The Artist and Hugo, but I've seen most the other nominated films/performances.

I think overall The Tree of Life was the best thing I saw this year. Even though it was very very pretentious and required a huge attention span, I just thought it was original and fascinating. And I didn't walk away from other films this year with the same feeling I had after Tree of Life. Personally I thought Brad Pitt was better in Tree of Life than in Moneyball.

But as a big baseball fan, and a fan of the book, I'm still happy to see his performance and the movie overall get some recognition.

dig this

TRIBE Member
I just watched Moneyball the other night and yeah, it was a good (borderline ok) movie, but great??? It's nominated for best film, best actor, and best supporting. Whatevs...

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

mitsuko souma

TRIBE Member
What, no Best Actress nod for Adam Sandler?

I'm a little shocked Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close made it in there.
The reviews I read were tepid at best. It looks schmaltzy and overwrought.
How did this one edge out A Dangerous Method?
But no matter, it's a lock for The Artist anyway so who cares.

Who deserves an Oscar more than any actor on that list, who has
never even been nominated?! (wtf)

Gary Oldman, obviously!

MoFo

TRIBE Member
I just watched Moneyball the other night and yeah, it was a good (borderline ok) movie, but great??? It's nominated for best film, best actor, and best supporting. Whatevs...
Oh, I loved Moneyball. By far, my favourite film of 2011. I love baseball so this was so perfect: Nicely written, good story, interesting characters all around, didn't leave the viewer confused and some great nice pacing. Riveted from start to finish. I think it should win everything except Best Supporting as I thought they could've casted about a dozen other actors that could've played the character better. I am surprised Jonah Hill got it and to be honest, he was good but not great. He's not an experienced actor yet.

I'm surprised they didn't get that guy who played Facebook dude.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Snubbed:

Tilda Swinton
Madonna's song
Albert Brooks
Drive (hello, best score, cinematography, supporting actors, picture, even adapted screenplay ffs)
Melancholia (special effects, cinematography, supporting actresses)
Michael Fassbender
Kevin Bacon

I'd like to see someone from The Help get something.

Beginners was just okay IMO. Plummer was great but the movie was a bit of a drag.

I love that a woman who shits in a wedding gown store's powder room sink cuz she ate bad Brazilian bbq got nominated. She wasn't that good in that. Kristen Wiig was 10x more funny and such a comedic talent.

I really thought Albert Brooks was gonna get something.

Tree of Life should get special effects and that's it. Get that piece of garbage off all these lists. Please.

Persephone

TRIBE Member
Oh, I loved Moneyball. By far, my favourite film of 2011. I love baseball so this was so perfect: Nicely written, good story, interesting characters all around, didn't leave the viewer confused and some great nice pacing. Riveted from start to finish. I think it should win everything except Best Supporting as I thought they could've casted about a dozen other actors that could've played the character better. I am surprised Jonah Hill got it and to be honest, he was good but not great. He's not an experienced actor yet.

I'm surprised they didn't get that guy who played Facebook dude.
I agree with you re: Jonah Hill. He seemed kind of stiff, one-dimensional in that character. I'm sure everyone is impressed because this is a huge divergence for him, but honestly, I was disappointed with him in that role and I don't think he displayed even a fraction of the depth of his co-nominees.

Beginners - Christopher Plummer's scenes were the best part. The rest of the movie dragged on so damn much.

I really enjoyed The Help and also hope that the movie is recognised in some way.

With all the talk around Shame, I'm surprised to see it missing from this list entirely.

Midnight in Paris - cute, but not worthy of best picture. By a long shot. That movie was carried by the performances of actors playing historical characters. I really enjoyed Adrian Brody as Dali, Kathy Bates as Gertrude Stein, Allison Pill as Zelda Fitzgerald and whoever played Ernest Hemingway.

Social Network and any of its actors were out of the running because it was released in 2010.

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Social Network and any of its actors were out of the running because it was released in 2010.
Oh, I meant to get that actor to be in Moneyball instead of Jonah Hill. Since Aaron Sorkin is involved, it would just be a good natural choice. He was nominated for Social Network and has done really nothing since.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
I agree with you re: Jonah Hill. He seemed kind of stiff, one-dimensional in that character. I'm sure everyone is impressed because this is a huge divergence for him, but honestly, I was disappointed with him in that role and I don't think he displayed even a fraction of the depth of his co-nominees.

Beginners - Christopher Plummer's scenes were the best part. The rest of the movie dragged on so damn much.
Ah so it wasn't just me. I really wanted to love The Beginners but it needed some editing. And I actually thought the Israeli girl and Ewan had very minimal chemistry. Nothing captivated me about their relationship. I kinda wish it was just about Christopher Plummer's story to be honest.

And with Moneyball, you can see that Jonah struggled with the acting. There were scenes where I cringed because it was like he was in a high school play. The part where he does a fist pump especially during that phone call. That take was very amateur. I'm surprised they used it.

Philip Seymour Hoffman and Pitt can stand still and still be the best actor in the room. Jonah Hill did well but it wasn't an Oscar-worthy performance. It's like a "most improved" nomination. If you look at his facial expressions. he hardly moved and it wasn't even deadpan but a dead weight face. There was a lack of depth to that performance. I understand that he might have been portraying this quiet, gawky kid but even that wasn't pushed far enough for me. Regardless, everything else made up for it.

coleridge

TRIBE Member
I'm especially excited that for once Pixar won't win for best animated feature. It will be a thrilling win for another studio.

rentboy

TRIBE Member
Snubbed:

Tilda Swinton
Madonna's song
Albert Brooks

I love that a woman who shits in a wedding gown store's powder room sink cuz she ate bad Brazilian bbq got nominated. She wasn't that good in that. Kristen Wiig was 10x more funny and such a comedic talent.

Did you see We Need to Talk About Kevin? And Madonna's movie (i heard that it's shite)?

I thought that Brooks was underused in Drive. He's only really getting acknowledged because he never did the bad guy role.

Agreed regarding Bridesmaids. McCarthy's performance is nothing special. Wiig carried that film.

Surprised by the lack of love for Michael Shannon and Take Shelter (a much loved film with critics).

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Hey, I don't think it's that good of a song but it did win Best Original song at the Golden Globes and now it's not even nominated at all with only 2 songs in that category?

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Did you see We Need to Talk About Kevin? And Madonna's movie (i heard that it's shite)?
I also hear it's so-so but they said the same thing about A Single Man. I really like that Wally and Edward story so I hope it doesn't get butchered. I think the final edits are done and it seems okay to me. I've read reviews and frankly, a lot of it is more cliche butchering and misogynist rhetoric. It's so typical of people to slam her but I'm sure some of the negative reviews are justified since it does look a little too glammed up to be taken seriously.

Oh wait, I think the song isn't eligible for an Oscar as it can't be a song during the credits. Nevermind.

stryker

TRIBE Member
Snubbed:

Albert Brooks
Drive (hello, best score, cinematography, supporting actors, picture, even adapted screenplay ffs)

Totally agree with Albert Brooks, but I think this year the category is basically a sympathy vote for Plummer...who I think should get a career award.

The rest of Drive sucked, glad to see that Academy also noticed this :p

stew

MoFo

TRIBE Member
I think you're the first person I've heard say they didn't like Drive. I've been reading up on how he made the film and his attention to detail is incredible.
And it's nice to see a foreign director film LA in a newcomer's perspective. That first scene alone should be given an award.

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

Hawk Eye

TRIBE Member
A lot of people are upset that Take Shelter didn't get nominated! I haven't seen any of these films. They just look so boring!!!

oeretS

TRIBE Member
I think you're the first person I've heard say they didn't like Drive.
That's odd since its arguably the most divisive film of the year. I enjoyed it personally cause i love that manhunter style and sound but I could definitely see why many didn't