• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

OSAP (or my personal nightmare)

xtollo

TRIBE Member
Incredible. They are so disorganized, I've sent them my confirmation of enrolment over 5 times now. I aint bullshitting. It's been a week since I've been out of school and the bulshit is back in full swing.

"Excuse me we need confirmation". Are they that starved for cash?

Blow it out your ass OSAP! I've heard so many nightmare stories about this bullshit public aid program. All they do is cause me stress. The 2 grand they gave me isn't worth the personal hassle.

The irritating thing is that they control a lot of my credit history, I was at the bank yesterday and my personal account manager noticed that OSAP had put a warning on my account telling them my credit is going to start getting hit. I almost flipped, the nerve they have. They are disorganized, they can't put anything together and yet have time to hurt my credit rating. Son of a bitch. :mad:

*WOW I'M BITTER, END RANT*

Metal Morphosis

TRIBE Member
oSap sucks large.

i'm so glad i'm done with paying those fuckers off.

once you start paying them back, it's not too much hassle. you can set up your account with direct withdrawl and not have to worry about it.
just pay it off as soon as you can. i know that whenever i got a raise at work, i'd immediately call them and increase my payments. and one time i even used my work bonus to put down a lump sum. makes the world of difference.

good luck.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Chris

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by Metal Morphosis
oSap sucks large.

i'm so glad i'm done with paying those fuckers off.

once you start paying them back, it's not too much hassle. you can set up your account with direct withdrawl and not have to worry about it.
just pay it off as soon as you can. i know that whenever i got a raise at work, i'd immediately call them and increase my payments. and one time i even used my work bonus to put down a lump sum. makes the world of difference.

good luck.
I do the same thing here, you have to or else you will paying your OSAP back like a mortgage, not fun:(

joey

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by g0nz0
*cough* 36 grand *cough*

:mad: :mad: :mad:

z0-
ouch! i only owe 12..

it seems that you can't pay the federal loan in person at the bank though, i got a call yesterday saying they haven't recieved a payment even though i have all the reciepts saying i have...

apparently they can only get payment through direct debit..

wtf?!?

Rosey

TRIBE Member
hmmmm, i worked and saved for university from the age of 14. i worked fulltime and went to school parttime for most of the 6 years i was there. my parents helped a bit too, which actually allowed me to out some money away in savings. now, i owe OSAP nothing because i didn't get a red cent from them.

i'm sorry, i know they're inept and that they are difficult to deal with, but i don't really have a lot of patience for the large number of people who got twice what they need from OSAP and blew it on turntables, mixers, booze, drugs, partying, home entertainment systems, computers, bad investments, etc. and then complain about the payments.

joey

TRIBE Member
i spent my osap on school and rent...

i also worked full time and went to school full time!

just so you know

Rosey

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by fleaflo
Rosey, what' s your point? :confused:
ummm, i think it's: don't come complaining to me about OSAP payments if you blew your money on socializing and entertainment.

yeah, that's it.

labRat

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by fleaflo
Rosey, what' s your point? :confused:
his point is valid for a few cases ... i've known a good handfull of people that have received osap and just blow the money like there's no tomorrow. sure some of it went towards tuition and rent, but just because you are allotted a certain sum each term does not mean that you should be spending that whole chunk.

granted, i'd say a good majority use it properly. and pay it off properly.

although there is that chunk that are horrible with personal finances and end up blaming the hand that fed them.

--craig

Metal Morphosis

TRIBE Member
i, like ross, worked and saved money for school starting from when i was 13. my parents helped me with tuition during university but i paid for the rest. i had actually saved enough cash that i didn't have to work during university.

BUT - i ended up doing a post-graduate course and since my parents had only agreed to pay for 'one' education, i was on my own. I didn't have any savings left at that point either so OSAP was the only solution.

I didn't get enough from OSAP when i did need them so then i had to borrow money from my parents too. So then I had two loans to pay for.

i remember applying for and receiving a bursary that year, it was like $600 or so. free money is free money. A lot of people forget about bursaries.

Anyway - i agree with Craig; i would say the majority of people use OSAP for the right reasons.

i'm just so happy to no owe OSAP or my parents a red cent anymore... mastercard on the otherhand............

cosmiK-Cat

TRIBE Member
20 G's...

I thought I owed alot! Heavily considering leaving the country & not returning so i don't have to pay them 3 times as much back!
(at this rate)

It's nice that the gov't allows you to claim the interest on your loan payments tho.

I too worked since I was like 12, and did not get any $ from my folks, but I never understood the concept of depending on yer folks for $. I never expected them to pay for any of it. Too many peeps I knew that did get $ got it with strings attached anyway. ("Here's the money, now become a lawyer/doctor.."etc)
So anyway I still needed it....especially in TO.

Wish I was born in some part of the European Union so I didn't have to pay for post secondary education!!:(

SpazGirl

TRIBE Member
I am so there - I owe ALOT & was it worth it to go to school? most of the time I think it wasn't worth it.

Of course students are going to spend the money - come on - just out of high school - living on your own & you get this HUGE chunk of money - what else do you think we are going to do?
Saving wasn't & still isn't my forte. Of course you regret it later - but damn it was a good time!

I think life is all about debt - whether its Osap, car, house, computer, credit cards - its all around us & we can't get away. Unless you're rich! Super 7 is 22 million tonight folks!!

Jill

xtollo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Rosey
i don't really have a lot of patience for the large number of people who got twice what they need from OSAP and blew it on turntables, mixers, booze, drugs, partying, home entertainment systems, computers, bad investments, etc. and then complain about the payments.
Is this directed towards me? I got a measily two grand and I'm being hassled for it like it's fifty grand. I used it on rent. If you were wondering.

Rosey

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by xtollo

Is this directed towards me?
no, sorry, that was more of a general comment directed at some of the people i went to school with for whom OSAP = month long bender, car payments, new stereo etc. and are now bitching because they have to live at home because they can't afford rent and their OSAP payments.

Skipper

TRIBE Member
You'd think OSAP would find a better way of figuring out who needs what money. I also wish OSAP would provide extended funding for people with higher educational expenses.

For example, my educational expenses for this past year were approximately $30,000. I made next to nothing last summer, and saved next to nothing because I had to pay rent and everything, and OSAP gave me $5000. I had to get a massive line of credit to cover what OSAP and my parents couldn't, and next year, I'll have to do the same.

I can't wait to get ALL of my loans paid off - I'm going to put off buying a car post-grad so I can pay them down as quickly as possible. I know people with government loans from 5 or 10 years back - I just dont want to be dealing with OSAP for any longer than necessary!

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
So... you're complaining about a system that provides you with free money? Hehe. Like biting the hand that feeds you? Oh my...

-jM
A&D

Ms. Fit

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by tommysmalls
its amazing how few people actually work while attending university.
ya it can be done (unless ur in some crazy engineering/math program -- then do co-op!), i worked about 16 hrs/week every week this year...and honestly i STILL had plenty of time to study BUT it does drain you physically a bit.

still, i had an OSAP loan in first year and now i'm done second and yes, even after i confirmed each loan (federal and provincial) and my student status, they are still harassing me, i remember being on the phone at royal back and the loan lady at the other end of the phone was like "why don't you just start paying your loan now, i'd hate for you not to be able to buy a house in a few years just because of a silly misunderstanding"....she thought i didn't confirm my student status when i did...so finally after 20 minutes on the phone with her she says "ok, i'm just going to check our error pages, sometimes when schools confirm student status it doesn't get through, it ends up on the error page [whatever that is]" so she comes back 2 minutes later and says "well it looks like you DID confirm your student, we just didnt look for it"

grrrrrr.

and that's my osap nightmare story. the sad thing is it's happened to almost EVERYONE i know who has taken out a loan!

labRat

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Ms. Fit
ya it can be done (unless ur in some crazy engineering/math program -- then do co-op!),
YUP!!! co-op was the schnizzle. no work during the term - sweet, high paying job between terms - not many worries for loans and whutnot.

-Craig

Da grunj

TRIBE Member
Stay away from OSAP if you can!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GRj <--------------still $42,000 in debt to OSAP!

Skipper

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Da grunj
Stay away from OSAP if you can!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GRj <--------------still $42,000 in debt to OSAP!
Holy shit, dude. That's a lot! :eek: