• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Organic Products

MissBlu

TRIBE Member
a bunch of people on the board are looking into products without nasty chemicals from deoderants, skin care, and make-up... thought we could use a spot to share the recommendations...

saw in the deoderant thread that ila is looking for a face cream recommendation...

i recently switched my face wash and moisturizer to organic chemical free products, the same as what my bestest uses, and she used to use proactive regularly. since switching, her skin has cleared up, and looks amazing. i have been using the same stuff for two weeks, and i agree, absolutely amazing, and our skin types are totally different.

i have no idea what the moisturizer is called, i'll post when i'm home, but this is the face wash i switched to:

here is their website:
Kalaya

MissBlu

TRIBE Member
ila, the face moisturizer i use now is made by Botanical Therepeutic, for very dry skin... i can't find any online links about it though, sorry.

bArHo

TRIBE Member
No worries, Miss B! I was in the process of ordering more Bare Escentuals mineral foundation when I realized they had a line of paraben/preservative-free skincare too.

I picked up this whole kit including sunscreen, facewash, moisturizer and some kind of toner from Sephora:

http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P241008&categoryId=RVP
oooh I totally forgot to tell you about that. I met a bare escentuals rep and she was telling me they were launching a skincare line, didn't know when it was coming but glad to hear its already out.

yay!

ila

TRIBE Member
I'm not going to lie - I'm 300 times more excited than I should be about this new skincare line.

I looooove Bare Escentuals. Love.

m0ff

TRIBE Member
i recently switched my face wash and moisturizer to organic chemical free products, the same as what my bestest uses, and she used to use proactive regularly. since switching, her skin has cleared up, and looks amazing. i have been using the same stuff for two weeks, and i agree, absolutely amazing, and our skin types are totally different.
MissBlu, did you friend have problem skin? I've used Proactiv before, and now I use Clinique's acne solutions (I don't have horrible acne or anything, but it can get bad in the summertime), however I'm looking to switch to something that's more natural. What was your friend's experience with Kalaya?

MissBlu

TRIBE Member
MissBlu, did you friend have problem skin? I've used Proactiv before, and now I use Clinique's acne solutions (I don't have horrible acne or anything, but it can get bad in the summertime), however I'm looking to switch to something that's more natural. What was your friend's experience with Kalaya?
yeah she did, sometimes pretty bad. she is the one who convinced me to switch, and her skin has really cleared up with the Kalaya face wash and then the Botanical Therapeutic moisturizer.

i feel like a commercial, but her skin really did improve.

m0ff

TRIBE Member
yeah she did, sometimes pretty bad. she is the one who convinced me to switch, and her skin has really cleared up with the Kalaya face wash and then the Botanical Therapeutic moisturizer.

i feel like a commercial, but her skin really did improve.
Hrmmmm, good to know. I'm almost out of my Clinique stuff, so I'm thinking next pay I'll switch to Kalaya and see how it goes.

So did she just use the regular Kalaya face wash (as opposed to the one geared for acne)?

m0ff

TRIBE Member
Okay, I need help. With so many products listed as "organic" or "natural" these days, it becomes a daunting task being able to decipher which ones are legit, and which ones are a total sham.

A sham meaning that they can have "organic" and/or "natural" all over their label, but then when you turn it over to read the ingredients, you're met with a whole lotta unpronouncable, seemingly nonsensical scientific terms.

I have no idea sometimes which ones are actually the scientific names for something natural and for those that are actually completely (arguably harmful) unnatural/unnecessary chemicals.

So, genius women (and men) of Tribe, when you're shopping for organic/natural products, which ingredients are an absolute show-stopper?
Which Brands have you found to be a complete sham?
Which brands have you been consistently pleased with?

ila

TRIBE Member
Okay, I need help. With so many products listed as "organic" or "natural" these days, it becomes a daunting task being able to decipher which ones are legit, and which ones are a total sham.

A sham meaning that they can have "organic" and/or "natural" all over their label, but then when you turn it over to read the ingredients, you're met with a whole lotta unpronouncable, seemingly nonsensical scientific terms.

I have no idea sometimes which ones are actually the scientific names for something natural and for those that are actually completely (arguably harmful) unnatural/unnecessary chemicals.

So, genius women (and men) of Tribe, when you're shopping for organic/natural products, which ingredients are an absolute show-stopper?
Which Brands have you found to be a complete sham?
Which brands have you been consistently pleased with?
www.cosmeticsdatabase.com is a good place to start. it's an american database and almost everything is a sham.

right now I'm trying to find a retailer in toronto for cold pressed, unprocessed, pure, raw freakin' shea butter. anyone?

rubytuesday

TRIBE Member
Kiss my Face is not as organic or natural as they claim to be. Some of their products are good but many have parabens in them. I find I have to read labels really carefully to find ones that don't have something weird in them.

This site is kind of useful, they do product reviews and explain how they assess products as well as list the ingredients to look out for and to avoid.
http://www.natural-skincare-authority.com

MissBlu

TRIBE Member
i think as a general rule, if you can't pronounce it - than their are probably some fancy chemicals in it.

ila

TRIBE Member
i think as a general rule, if you can't pronounce it - than their are probably some fancy chemicals in it.
Agreed.

But also, I think a few products, namely Kiss my Face ones, have tested positive for parabens when they had none listed on the label. This scares me and makes me super angry.

I'm in the market for a plain shea butter, containing only shea if anyone has any leads.

grumblegirl

TRIBE Member
The problem with only buying when you can easily recognize the ingredients listed is that some are listed by their latin name most of the time - e.g. tocopherol is Vitamin E.

I've taken to looking up the product's ingredients first, then buying. It's time-consuming, but worth it, imo. 'specially since, after a few times of looking up the same chemical name, I'm getting to know them to some degree, so I don't even need to look something up if I see certain words now. (Anything with a SLS [sodium laurel or laureth....] of any kind, or propyl/glycol, or ethyl... is completely out now, in the gg household. edit: which sadly means that I am no longer dyeing my hair unless I use henna, too. :( )

ila

TRIBE Member
I'm not tooooo concerned with what I put on my hair because I figure most of that isn't absorbing into my body. I'm more concerned with what I rub directly onto my body and face, like sunscreens, makeup, lotions, creams, perfumes and deodorants.

I haven't found a shampoo/conditioner that works well and has no parabens, ethyls or any of that shite. I dye my hair so I try to just use products on my hair with no sulfates, but that's where I draw the line because all of the "organic" junk I've used on my hair has left it in shambles. If anyone knows any good hair products with limited fuckery in them, please let me know. Otherwise, I'll continue using what I know works for my lid.

Tins

TRIBE Member
Whole Foods (at least the one I have been to in Vancouver) has an entire section on natural body/face products. Might be worth checking out.

Does anyone know where to purchase organic wines? Do they have them at the LCBO's?

sk8

TRIBE Member
ila - this is what the salon that i did the modelling gave me - it's billed as "all natural" but to be honest I haven't looked into it that much. some of the products have fact sheets you can download.

http://www.eufora.net/euforaproducts.htm

i have the "pure cleanse" shampoo and it's been great. they used all the styling products on me for the modelling and they all seemed to work great, i haven't tried any of them at home though.

here's what it says about the shampoo:

· Certified Organic Aloe Vera Gel base provides an amino acid rich solution
that provides moisture and legnedary rejuvenation benefits necessary
optimum scalp and hair heath
· Botanical Extracts of Rosemary, Chamomile, Balm Mint, Yarrow, Hops
Horse Chestnut for their proven benefits in creating healthy hair and
scalp. Highest grade blending for optimum performance
· Soy, Wheat and Human Hair Keratin Proteins specially blended to heal
and strengthen and repair the hair shaft and add shine
· Advanced non-sulfate cleansing system
· Panthenol, the beautifier, adds moisture and protects against
breakage. Promotes body and shine.
· Lemon & Passion Flower Extract: A special blend that works as Eufora’s
protein delivery system
· Eufora’s blend of pure essential oils and extracts for an Aromatherapy
experience

rubytuesday

TRIBE Member
I started using i.c.o.n. shampoo and conditioner and they're awesome, but I don't think they're completely organic or SLS free, although some of their shampoos are, just not the one I use (energy).

http://www.iconproducts.com

All products are vegan, paraffin free, environmentally friendly and biodegradable. Using only recyclable packaging & only tested on humans.
Before that I was using the LiveClean line carried at shoppers that smells like candy and is SLS, vegan and paraben free, it was ok. Burt's Bees is also pretty good.

sk8

TRIBE Member
Before that I was using the LiveClean line carried at shoppers that smells like candy and is SLS, vegan and paraben free, it was ok.
I'll be looking for another one when I run out of the eufora one, because as good as it is, $20 for shampoo is just not me LOL

I'm hoping you are going to tell me this candy-smelling one is cheaper? I really like bath products that smell like candy - I'm sensitive to smells and I find a lot of the shampoos, particularly ones that try to be "herbal", a little too much.