• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

organic/natural foods that suck!

octo

TRIBE Member
all natural, organic, no preservative peanut butter is DISGUSTING

do not buy it.

it's runny and it separates. making a peanut butter bagel is so messy and eating it is wholly unsatisfying.

from now on i will always buy the kind that is laced with preservatives.

any other organic crap to avoid?

RumRogerz

TRIBE Member
organic marijuana
it's not even green.

organic anything has the worst shelf life. my gf does the whole organic thing, and not only does it burn a hole in her purse, but a) it doesn't even taste nearly as good as my scientifically formulated stuff does b) rots... soooo fast. eggplant? i almost cried when i tried to make my nona's melanzane the other night to only find 2 days after buying them they started to rot.

my hippie friends call me a heretic and tell me to 'go hug a beaker, nerd' but whatever.

watch pen and teller's bullshit on organic food, it's surprisingly informative and accurate

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
It's not cause it's organic, it's because it's not hydrogenated. You could make "commercial" peanut butter with organic peanuts. I doubt they do, but you could.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

g0nz0

TRIBE Member

do not buy it.

it's runny and it separates. making a peanut butter bagel is so messy and eating it is wholly unsatisfying.

pro tip: store your PB upside down. when you open it, it's much easier to stir.

xtcfreak

TRIBE Member
Pro tip: stir that shit first.

I could care less if it is organic or not, but "just peanuts" is always better.

Fuck that Kraft and other garbage.

Oh and almond butter ftw!

Jay

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
If you love peanut butter as much as I do, just buy organic peanuts and make your own PB with a food processor. My gf has been doing that for the last year, and it makes amazing peanut butter. It's never separated either. Probably doesn't last long enough for that. And it's SO MUCH cheaper, you'll offset the cost of that food processor in no time.

One natural food that I hate is Stevia. When trying to cut down on sugar I turned to that, but its taste is nasty.

Ho||yw0oD

TRIBE Member
Pro tip: stir that shit first.

I could care less if it is organic or not, but "just peanuts" is always better.

Fuck that Kraft and other garbage.

Oh and almond butter ftw!

Jay
Ohhhh man! Almond butter is some serious business!

Puts PB to shame.

sk8

TRIBE Member
Well how do you like that! What brand? I buy kraft on sale. Kids like peanut butter apparently. I don't eat much of it myself.
Nativa, the shoppers drug mart organic brand. It's comparable in taste to kraft but has less processy stuff in it.

Another good option is peanut butter and co. which comes in lots of flavours and is all natural.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Really anything that is Kashi. Not only is it not organic and a lie but also drrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
organic anything has the worst shelf life. my gf does the whole organic thing, and not only does it burn a hole in her purse, but a) it doesn't even taste nearly as good as my scientifically formulated stuff does b) rots... soooo fast. eggplant? i almost cried when i tried to make my nona's melanzane the other night to only find 2 days after buying them they started to rot.
There are proper ways to store stuff though. Most people are just so used to throwing things in a fridge, usually in the wrong type of container/bag or in the wrong spot.

Eggplants that are fresh and organic should last LONGER than regular ones from the store. The ones from my garden last a week and even after 6 days, I can just bake it for bharta so it's not as bitter as stovetop preparation.

Ethylene, a gas that emits from certain produce naturally, also may speed up the ripening and rotting of veggies stored beside them. So if your eggplants (they don't emit ethylene) are stored next to:

apples, apricots, avocados, ripening bananas, blueberries, cantaloupe, citrus fruit (not grapefruit), figs, grapes, green onions, honeydew, ripe kiwi fruit, mangoes, melons, mushrooms, nectarines, papayas, passion fruit, peaches, pears, peppers, pineapple, plums, prunes, tomatoes and watermelon

... then they'll rot faster.

Fresh organic eggplant should be in the dark in a dry place. It should last 7 days. And then if you notice that it's gonna last longer and you want to still use it, put in the fridge on day 4. It should last probably 10 days without any real issue. After 10, it will be more bitter.

Just sayin'. :)

MoFo

TRIBE Member
I'll admit, I've never really had a good heirloom tomato. Kinda bland to me. I rather eat other varieties. Those organic black tomatoes are kinda gross. They have this really earthy flavour that doesn't do it for me.

Also any bagged organic green teas. Stick with expensive loose leaf Chinese varieties.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member

do not buy it.

put it in the fridge and it firms up nicely. Or use the grind your own machines that produce an awesome peanut butter that doesn't separate.

Sal De Ban

TRIBE Member
gigantic LOLZ at this thread. "preserved/gmo food has a better shelf life" ORLY? hahaha enjoy your un-bruised pig-apples.

erika

TRIBE Member

do not buy it.

I buy organic crunchy peanut butter at my bulk food store and have NO issues; are you getting yours in a supermarket?
Also, store it in the fridge and it spreads wonderfully.

The only "organic" (or not) thing I really don't like is Spirulina - blech!

erika

TRIBE Member
Nativa, the shoppers drug mart organic brand. It's comparable in taste to kraft but has less processy stuff in it.

Another good option is peanut butter and co. which comes in lots of flavours and is all natural.
I wouldn't want to buy something comparable in taste to kraft: kraft tastes like crap!!

sk8

TRIBE Member
I wouldn't want to buy something comparable in taste to kraft: kraft tastes like crap!!
If you have picky kids looking for a comparable though it's a better option. I'm not a fan of that style either.

We get the peanut butter and co. ones, pc "just peanuts" or almond butter usually (which you can totally sub into PB cookie recipes). Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter mmmmmmm. We don't eat it much though, which I really should because it's a good protein source for me.

Also any bagged organic green teas. Stick with expensive loose leaf Chinese varieties.
So true for bagged green tea in general. Tastes like stale grass.

Last edited:
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories