• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Organic food craze - do you believe the hype?

TheRunningBoard

TRIBE Member
I just ate a salad and sandwich from an organic sandwich bar. I didn't go there because it was organic, I went because it is close to me, and I kind of enjoy hippie style food every now and again, but it got me thinking.

Organic food - good health or great marketing? I am seeing restaurants devoted to organic food, this is new right?

The sandwich and salad I had were delicious, don't get me wrong - but a touch expensive. I feel like organic food is for people who want to be vegetarian, but can't bring themselves to stop eating delicious meat...so organic makes them feel better.

Is anyone an organictarian? Do you pay more for the organic carrots @ Dominion?

I am ignorant here - better health, better for the environment..what is driving this fad?

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
Its hype, the vast majority of the chemicals that they are avoiding simply aren't digestable to humans. Additionally many of the chemicals they are trying to avoid simply don't occur at anywhere near significant levels.

Not to say organic isn't good, only that if you have a choice between a limited selection of organic foods or a large selection of good quality 'non' organic food I would pick the second choice.

mingster

TRIBE Member
if organic and non-organic were equal in price and selection, i would pick organic.

it just makes good sense that you wouldn't want to expose yourself to added chemicals, pesticides and hormones; and that you would want to contribute towards ethical farming practices. plus, there's something wholesome and heartwarming about a small farm.

Last edited:

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
Ditto Much said:
Its hype, the vast majority of the chemicals that they are avoiding simply aren't digestable to humans.

haha.

In your universe does the sun revolve around the earth, or just yourself?

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
TheRunningBoard said:
I feel like organic food is for people who want to be vegetarian, but can't bring themselves to stop eating delicious meat...so organic makes them feel better.

Is anyone an organictarian? Do you pay more for the organic carrots @ Dominion?

I am ignorant here - better health, better for the environment..what is driving this fad?

I'm not sure how you came to this type of conclusion... organic means without the use of pesticides and not genetically modified.

Ever see those commercials for Round-Up weed killer? Well think abotu the toxic effect Round-Up has on plants, then consider that Monsanto produced a "Round-Up Ready" seed that means you can spray all kinds of Round-Up on it without effecting the plant. But do you want to eat something that has not only been sprayed with this stuff, but manipulated to not die from it either?

I eat organic because I don't like being part of a bio-experiment.

VinylRach

TRIBE Promoter
the way the person in the grocery store explained it to me is she said "look at all the allergies people have now adays...peanuts etc. 60 years ago that wasn't that prominent' with the addition of chemicals and additives to food that didn't occur 60 years ago we're having backlashes in food allergies because of that. you can prevent this to happen in yoru children if you and your family eat organic food' that would be worth researching i think...

gasper

TRIBE Member
One of my Food Science colleagues did an extensive study and found no significant difference in: taste, healthiness

He found a significant difference in: price

That said, the general premise behind organics is good. It costs a lot more/yield to farm with organic, and sutainable methods.

That said, there are a lot of companies cash cowing off the trendiness of the movement.

The government? YEARS behind on regulation and inspection.

DaPhatConductor

TRIBE Promoter
organic food rocks.

i stopped eating factory crap six years ago and i went form getting sick once every two months, to once every six years. i feel a lot better, and i have made up the cash difference by cooking more.

no GMOs, no border crossing irradiation, no patented genes, better working conditions for farmers, no toxic pesticides... it really is a big difference and you can USUALLY taste it. my roommate micah works at organics on bloor too, so we get the wholesale prices. it kicks ass.

that said, i think a better 'fad' would be cooking for yourself instead of buying mass produced crap. as a general principle more processing = more unhealthy and cooking for yourself takes out a lot of middlemen. cheaper too...

ok, flame away.

deep

TRIBE Member
Boss Hog said:
but manipulated to not die from it either?

Fuck yeah I want to eat me some zombie vegetables. It's like the superhero who gets shot and shot but still keeps on fighting for freedom. What's wrong with you?

man_slut

TRIBE Member
Ditto Much said:
Its hype, the vast majority of the chemicals that they are avoiding simply aren't digestable to humans. Additionally many of the chemicals they are trying to avoid simply don't occur at anywhere near significant levels.

Not to say organic isn't good, only that if you have a choice between a limited selection of organic foods or a large selection of good quality 'non' organic food I would pick the second choice.

What are the vast majority of petro-chemicals that are supposedly safe for human consumption?

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
deep said:
Fuck yeah I want to eat me some zombie vegetables. It's like the superhero who gets shot and shot but still keeps on fighting for freedom. What's wrong with you?

Lack of imagination, apparently!

deep

TRIBE Member
Flashy_McFlash said:
Someone needs to make a tomato that will, once consumed, make me invisible.

Just what exactly do you think we do here at Black Science Labs? Find "cures" for cancer? Pfft!

janiecakes

TRIBE Member
VinylRach said:
the way the person in the grocery store explained it to me is she said "look at all the allergies people have now adays...peanuts etc. 60 years ago that wasn't that prominent' with the addition of chemicals and additives to food that didn't occur 60 years ago we're having backlashes in food allergies because of that. you can prevent this to happen in yoru children if you and your family eat organic food' that would be worth researching i think...

if some yahoo in a grocery store told me i could prevent food allergies in my kids by eating organic foods, first i would laugh at them and then i would never shop there again.

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
I_bRAD said:
haha.

In your universe does the sun revolve around the earth, or just yourself?

actually all things orbit my ass, its a matter of mass and gravity.

One must look at these things with a little more science and in perspective. The vast majority of the real nasty stuff you take in comes from the air as your lungs very effectively transfer particulate matter into your blood stream. Your digestive track however is nowhere near as effective it destroys most things with its acidic nature and then your liver and kidneys filter out plenty more.

Not everything!! Heavy metals for instance really do accumulate over time mercury and lead really can cause you long term troubles. However the vast majority of pesticides and animal antibiotics simply don't last long enough to make it to harvest they are processed long before or it would be a serious waste.

I really did grow up in industrial farming and really do have some serious issues with the industry, however much of the current organic food craze is unsustainable and if little additional benefit.

deep

TRIBE Member
gasper said:
One of my Food Science colleagues did an extensive study and found no significant difference in: taste, healthiness

That said, the general premise behind organics is good. It costs a lot more/yield to farm with organic, and sutainable methods.

That said, there are a lot of companies cash cowing off the trendiness of the movement.

The government? YEARS behind on regulation and inspection.

Keep your facts out of this thread please. We want only credible information e.g. stories heard at the grocery store and from white people with dreadlocks.

geminigirl

TRIBE Member
Boss Hog said:
I'm not sure how you came to this type of conclusion... organic means without the use of pesticides and not genetically modified.

Ever see those commercials for Round-Up weed killer? Well think abotu the toxic effect Round-Up has on plants, then consider that Monsanto produced a "Round-Up Ready" seed that means you can spray all kinds of Round-Up on it without effecting the plant. But do you want to eat something that has not only been sprayed with this stuff, but manipulated to not die from it either?

I eat organic because I don't like being part of a bio-experiment.

Wowee we agree on something 2 times now.

I am all about eating organic and also using organic soaps, shampoos etc.

You are what ya eat. By eating organic it makes me feel safe and good about what is going in my body.

Sure it is more expensive..but I think my body and health is worth it.

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
gasper said:

See everything I have read (and I have read plenty on this one) agrees with the above quote. Little effective difference in regards to testing done on rats, dogs, pigs and south american children (no joke on this one).

This doesn't mean I want to see anti-biotics or hormones increased in use, only that the myth and the reality are way off from one another.

Same as bottled water!

acheron

TRIBE Member
Organic food is one of the worst examples of consumer culture.

Mass-produced products are a more efficient use of our resources. So-called 'organic' food could never be produced for the general population in an affordable, efficient way or else it already would have been.

If you want to live organically, do what master chef Michael Staedtlander did and move out to where the food comes from, in the country. But for those living in the city, organic food is only ok for those who are happy spending more for something that is essentially an elitist indulgence in that context.

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
mingster said:
HAHAHA

you kill me.

It really isn't! without industrial farming (wiki on Nroman Borlaug easily the greatest man to have ever walked the planet) we would be forced to reduce the global population to pre 1950's levels.

Unless you can find 1/3 people willing to give thier lives up without industrial farming and techniques we would have starvation on a level not see since WWII.

Its only sustainable in a scale that we can enjoy in North America and western europe utilizing the resources of almost every other nation.

Again the feel good is with the pro-organics, science isn't.

geminigirl

TRIBE Member
10 reasons to eat organic

1It's healthy
On average, organic food contains higher levels of vitamin C and essential minerals such as calcium, magnesium, iron and chromium as well as cancer-fighting antioxidants.

2 No nasty additives
Organic food doesn't contain food additives which can cause health problems such as heart disease, osteoporosis, migraines and hyperactivity. Amongst the additives banned by the Soil Association are hydrogenated fat, aspartame (artificial sweetener) and monosodium glutamate.

3 Avoids pesticides
Over 400 chemical pesticides are routinely used in conventional farming and residues are often present in non-organic food. The UK government has recently found high levels of pesticide residues in baby food, spinach, dried fruit, bread, apples, celery, and chips.

4 No GM
Genetically modified (GM) crops and ingredients are not allowed under organic standards.

5 Reliance on drugs removed
There is growing concern about the high use of antibiotics on farm animals and the possible effects on human health. Soil Association standards prohibit the routine use of antibiotics.

6 No hidden costs
Compare this with the £120m that tax payers fork out to pay for chemicals to be removed from drinking water, mainly as a result of the pesticides used in farming.

7 High standards
Organic food comes from trusted sources. All organic farms and food companies are inspected at least once a year. The standards for organic food are laid down in European law.

8 Care for animals
Animal welfare is taken very seriously under organic standards. The benefits of the organic approach are acknowledged by animal welfare organisations such as Compassion in World Farming as well as the UK government.

9 Good for wildlife and the environment
The UK government has said that it is better for wildlife, causes lower pollution from sprays, produces less carbon dioxide - the main global warming gas - and less dangerous wastes.

10 Top for taste
Many people prefer organic food because they say it tastes better. A number of top chefs choose organic, and every year many are involved in the Soil Association's Organic Food Awards.