• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

optimist, realist or pessimist?

angelsole

TRIBE Member
alright i admit that i like to consider myself an optimist. i tend to try and look at the brighter side of things. i love how great it feels to sit quietly in the sun on my balcony with my eyes closed. i love to go on the swings in the park. i get lots of fun out of eating an ice cream cone. i suppose you could say i tend to try and look at the positive things in life and allow myself not to dwell on the negative ones.
lately i have been finding that slightly challenging. some people say that this comes with age and that the older i get the more cynical i will become. some say that i am a true realist at heart and should embrace it. others just roll their eyes sarcastically as if to say 'we never really bought that cheery thing anyway'
so how do you classify yourself?
are you a realist? pessisimist? closet optimist?
i am not looking for advice on to change my outlook on things just wondering where everyone else falls on the scale.

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

rubytuesday

TRIBE Member
I am an optimist. Having a positive and hopeful outlook makes life that much better. It's like how smiling even when you're not happy makes you feel better, thinking positively can change a lot even if you don't believe it at first. And of course the converse is true, if you get into a negative mindset it just snowballs.
I decided a long time ago that there was an awful lot of things that I couldn't change and that there was no point in letting it get to me. It's all perspective.

deep

TRIBE Member
Pessimism / optimism can be situation and domain specific, so I don't really agree with the idea that people can be neatly categorized into one or another. There are also subtypes. For example, I identify a lot with defensive pessimism. It can be summarized as people who when taking something on think about the ways in which things could go wrong, and then do what's necessary to keep that from happening. They don't feel optimistic about things but they perform as well or better than optimists. In general, I try to be pragmatic and work around objective facts rather than let either positive or negative emotions decide things for me. In my experience, how you feel about something may or may not have any bearing on what the truth is. People can feel good about something and fail while others can think things are fubared but have them go swimmingly.

There are benefits and drawbacks to both pessimism / optimism, people need to adapt their perspectives depending on what they've done, what it got them and what they still find they need. For example an optimist who finds themselves getting into situations that a little negative foresight could have avoided might do well to tone down the rose coloured glasses a bit. A pessimist who never engages in endeavours because they think things will go wrong will find themselves quite inert. For either group, simply doing something can produce positive change regardless of what one's perspective is. Through action you produce a change in circumstances or more experience/knowledge to work with, and regardless of sucess or failure that diagnostic information moves a person forward.

On the other hand, there's an interesting body of research out there that shows forcing a defensive pessimist to be an optimist or vice versa is sometimes less helpful to that person than letting them work with the strategy they are comfortable with. In this research both defensive pessimists and optimists performed much better than average despite using completely opposite strategies. What was most important was if they were handling emotional stress and objective tasks they needed to using the strategy they were most comfortable with. Not that they converted themselves to what popular thinking is best.

angelsole

TRIBE Member
wow, now i fully understand the significance of your name. do you always take everything so seriously? good points of course but lots to read.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

deep

TRIBE Member
angelsole said:
do you always take everything so seriously?

Do I ever!

internetseriousbusiness.jpg

Rataxès

TRIBE Member
I'm a pragmatist. Many people seen this as being pessimistic, or 'negative', but life is often less than ideal and I acknowledge that sometimes no matter how positive and constructive you are the outcome will still be less than you hoped for.

When life gives you lemons, you make lemonade - the most bitter, acidic lemonade you've ever tasted, but you grind those fucking lemons and choke it back because you're still thirsty for life.

KillaLadY

TRIBE Member
deep said:
It can be summarized as people who when taking something on think about the ways in which things could go wrong, and then do what's necessary to keep that from happening. They don't feel optimistic about things but they perform as well or better than optimists.
Is that caracterized as being a perfectionist? I feel as though I fall into this category, which has totally worked against defining who I am.
I would set a certain goal that I try to achieve and I focus on everything that would go against achieving it, spending most of the time on such "negative" approach.

I try to avoid labelling or placing myself in a certain category, but the above mentioned seems to follow me.

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
pessimist, as a pessimist always finds that the actual results are better than expected I find them to be the happiest people with reality and with life.

junglegirl

TRIBE Member
Im an idealist

idealism n. The act or practice of envisioning things in an ideal form. Pursuit of one's ideals.

...this often backfires on me :p

grumblegirl

TRIBE Member
i am something of all three, depending on the time of the month, and, well.... the time of the day. seriously - i can switch from complete optimist to radical pessimist in the blink of an eye. [with apologies to the boy]

i *try* to stay in pragmatist-land, as much as possible, but when discouraged by similar situations that have not gone well - i tend more towards the pessimist side.

and yet - i'm a very happy person.

i'm a pickle. a conundrum. a pain in the ass.

Bumbaclat

TRIBE Member
angelsole said:
alright i admit that i like to consider myself an optimist. i tend to try and look at the brighter side of things. i love how great it feels to sit quietly in the sun on my balcony with my eyes closed. i love to go on the swings in the park. i get lots of fun out of eating an ice cream cone.

I don't think that riding swings with ice cream is an optimist.

op·ti·mist Audio pronunciation of "optimist" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (pt-mst)
n.

1. One who usually expects a favorable outcome.
2. A believer in philosophical optimism.

I think you're just cheery! or something like that.

silver1

TRIBE Member
"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true."
-James Branch Cabell, The Silver Stallion, 1926