• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

OPSEU... fire them all!

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
Fuck them, I say...

I haven't even noticed them being on strike... that means they don't do anything...

Get back to work, or lose it.

I might be a leftie, but I don't support anything that's supposedly "left" just because that's what the manual says, like strikes and unions, unless they serve a good purpose.

Which is why I say... give them a choice: go back now to your easy, easy job, or lose it.
 

R4V4G3D_SKU11S

TRIBE Member
Didn't they impose a media blackout on negotiations?

That might have something to do with publicity versus the highly publicized '96 strike..

Do you regurlarly use any services that might affected by the strike?
 

voytek

TRIBE Member
4eel... i need my fucking lost SIN card replaced or no new job for me... and my healthcard expired too, had to pay for a doctor's visit when getting a bogus note for late assignment purposes... couldn't get that replaced either... bastards owe me a 20 then...

[116]
 

Rosey

TRIBE Member
i work for the OPS and there has been a moderate slowdown of government functioning due to the strike. but it is my perception that we could can about 60% of them give the other 40% a whopping raise and get on with things.

but that's just a perception. i'd bet if i was in the don jail right now my p.o.v. would be different.

jane is gonna kick my ass :eek:
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Gavin the Bass

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by PosTMOd
I might be a leftie, but I don't support anything that's supposedly "left" just because that's what the manual says, like strikes and unions, unless they serve a good purpose.


unions are big business, kinda contradicts their purpose...

i don't know, i'm just of the belief that opseu is a social necessity, and that necessity should be appreciated through better than average wages and benefits. but i also think that they recognize that necessity, and i can't help but feeling that they're holding the government hostage...

they do have the upper hand.
 

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by Gavin the Bass
i don't know, i'm just of the belief that opseu is a social necessity....]


What's so necessary?

Who has actually noticed? They could cut their numbers in half and do a better job without the bureaucracy.
 

Rosey

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Gavin the Bass

i don't know, i'm just of the belief that opseu is a social necessity, and that necessity should be appreciated through better than average wages and benefits. but i also think that they recognize that necessity, and i can't help but feeling that they're holding the government hostage...

they do have the upper hand.
maybe they should be charged with intimidating the legislature. :rolleyes:
 

AshG

Member
Originally posted by PosTMOd


What's so necessary?

Who has actually noticed? They could cut their numbers in half and do a better job without the bureaucracy.

I've noticed.

And whoever made that comment about there being a media blackout is correct; there was a media blackout until yesterday.

And really, do u somehow have firsthand information about their operating practices that makes you an authority on their efficiency?

...playin the advocate...
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Gavin the Bass

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by PosTMOd


What's so necessary?

Who has actually noticed? They could cut their numbers in half and do a better job without the bureaucracy.

their tasks are necessary, definatly, but i can't say whether or not the whole lot of them are worthy of their jobs ;)
 

Gavin the Bass

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Rosey

maybe they should be charged with intimidating the legislature. :rolleyes:

oh yes, because, as you know, regular people, especially lower-end employees of the government, cannot possibly be guilty of being greedy bastards. oh, and unions, because of their principle, cannot possibly be looking out for their own interests. NEVER!

:rolleyes:
 

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by AshG
And really, do u somehow have firsthand information about their operating practices that makes you an authority on their efficiency?

Yes, I do.

I haven't noticed a goddam thing... I live in Ontario...

That means they are useless, at least to me. And I fucking well count.

And I make way less money than those monkeys.
 

SUNKIST

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by PosTMOd
Fuck them, I say...

I haven't even noticed them being on strike... that means they don't do anything...

Get back to work, or lose it.

i said that same thing yesterday. (are we related or something? :p)
we drove by a piddly 5 people striking, and i said "oh, they're still striking?...no cares, go back to work already". i'll take their jobs, minus the pay increase even.
 

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
An OPSEU classified employee earns an average salary of $44,926 a year or $56,158 when pension and benefits are included. Statistics show that the average salary in Ontario is currently $36,900.

Correctional Officers in Ontario are the second highest paid in Canada. (And, regardless of what they might have you believe, it is one of the easiest jobs EVER... most criminals are in for non-violent crimes).

For 2001, the starting wage for most OPSEU classifications exceeded by 20 per cent the average starting wage in Federal and Provincial governments.

For 2001, the maximum wage rates for many OPSEU classifications
exceeded by 11 per cent the comparable Federal and Provincial
maximum wage rates.
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

rswbrixton

TRIBE Member
Send the fuckers down river . Most of the services administered and enforced by these folks will be privatized inside of 10 years anyway .

Big Business not Big Government . Private does it better .
 

Rosey

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Gavin the Bass


oh yes, because, as you know, regular people, especially lower-end employees of the government, cannot possibly be guilty of being greedy bastards. oh, and unions, because of their principle, cannot possibly be looking out for their own interests. NEVER!

:rolleyes:
are you being sarcastic? are you agreeing with me? did you understand what i was referring to and what the :rolleyes: meant?

wtf are you saying?
 

Little1

TRIBE Member
I happen to be an OPSEU member, and I take great offense to the ignorant shits making uneducated comments. Do you really know how many jobs are affected by this strike, and how this directly affects the public.

Parole officers, probation officers are members of Opseu, which means that there are criminals that are not being monitored. This directly puts the public safety at risk.

Also, provincial meat inspectors, as well as produce inspectors are out on strike as well. Who's checking for toxic levels of pesticides in your food? Nobody!

Parks and wildlife officials are also out on strike. That means that there aren't anyone to enforce hunting regulations. Unchecked poaching damages natural wildlife populations and can have long term affects on the natural eco-system. (But what do you care, you live in the city)

These are only a small part of the responsibilities handled by OPSEU members. If you would like to educate your ass, go to www.opseu.org to get the full story, and to see just what we are fighting for. We're not just fighting for money, and we're not all over paid and lazy like you would like to believe. We're fighting to keep our pensions, and not allow the Gov't to appropriate it for their own uses. We're also fighting for job security for contract employees who by the way do not get any benefits. So really, get your heads out of your asses and think before you make unfounded statements.

And another thing, you might not give a shit, and might not care that we're on strike. However there are those who care, namely the 45,000 OPSEU members who have been on strike for the last 7 weeks. Do you think its easy for us to not be making any money, and for this length of time? We have bills to pay, families to look after, etc. Can you honestly say you have no sympathy for the double income families out on the line??? If you can, then fuck you!

And to address the issue of not seeing anyone picketing and not hearing anything about the strike. Like someone already mentioned, there was a media blackout regarding the contract negotions between the province and opseu so nothing was supposed to be released to the public.
As for a lack of visible bodies, that is a major problem in the city but not in other places. The main problem with the city, is that there are offices spread out over a vast area, so the picketers are spread pretty thin. Another problem they are having in the city is that at most of the buildings, the local unions have been slapped with injunctions keeping them off the property. As well, many offices are accessable through underground tunnels which the injunctions state the picket lines can not be set up in. With nobody to deter them from going in to work, many people are using these tunnel entrances to cross the lines.
If you want to see a visible protest, you should venture out to my office building. We have a picket line of over 900 people.
 

AshG

Member
Originally posted by PosTMOd


Yes, I do.

I haven't noticed a goddam thing... I live in Ontario...

That means they are useless, at least to me. And I fucking well count.

And I make way less money than those monkeys.

Could you possibly remove your kneejerk emotional responses to a discussion before posting?

For all you know I agree with you. I'm trying to initiate intelligent discussion and debate.

You didn't address the issue of how you know about their (problems with) efficiency.

So you live in ontario. So do I. I notice them every day. You don't. And the point is?....

I make less money than they do too. So what? Does that make them somehow less worthy of support from me?

I don't want to sound condescending but its hard to respect your opinion when your responses seem to be centred around outbursts of displeasure, rather than information and argument.
 

Little1

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by rswbrixton
Send the fuckers down river . Most of the services administered and enforced by these folks will be privatized inside of 10 years anyway .

Big Business not Big Government . Private does it better .

That's bullshit too. Do you realise the damage done, as well as the cost to the public to privitize public services? You're not going to be too happy when your electricity bill goes through the roof come May 1st when the gov't opens the markets to private providers. They can set their own rates, and you must be living in a bubble if you think they are going to remain the same.
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by Little1
I Parole officers, probation officers are members of Opseu, which means that there are criminals that are not being monitored. This directly puts the public safety at risk.

Oh, bullshit scaremongering...

Cut it out...
 

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
By the way, I want these people to have nice, cushy jobs.

I just don't want them to cry for more, when OBVIOUSLY most of them are just not necessary.

I just hate fucking whiners...
 

rswbrixton

TRIBE Member
again i stress that private does it better. Business not government .

Im not in a financial position to worry - im in a position to invest !!

I make Canada and Ontario grow.

Put money and people to work .


an opseu picket line has a disproportionate amount of obese people versus other society segments . drive by and see.

Earn your keep.
 

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by Little1
IAnd another thing, you might not give a shit, and might not care that we're on strike. However there are those who care, namely the 45,000 OPSEU members who have been on strike for the last 7 weeks. Do you think its easy for us to not be making any money, and for this length of time? We have bills to pay, families to look after, etc. Can you honestly say you have no sympathy for the double income families out on the line??? If you can, then fuck you!.

I have no sympathy for whiny bastards who aren't happy EVER...

You are on strike and not getting paid... so, go back to work and shut your cakehole.
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders
Top